mtbr member
    May 2006

WTB rims: Frequency i19 or i23?

I am going to have a wheelset hand built for my Rocky Mountain Element 950 (29er 4" full suspension).

I weigh 200 pounds naked...then add about 10 pounds riding gear.

I am going to have the rims laced to a set of e.13 TRS+ hubs (20mm front and 142x12mm rear).

Not sure which rim to use...WTB Frequency i19 or i23?

I'm not an XC racer...more of a 8 Hour, 24 Hour, endurance event when I race 1-3 times per year kind of guy. I prefer to have fun riding my bike on long rides by myself that last the better part of a day.

My current stock wheelset is a little over 2,000 grams. I would like increased performance benefits and some kind of weight reduction (most people say I should not go below the 1,700 gram range for a 29er wheel at my weight and riding style). My bike is currently 27.5 pounds and the new wheelset is the last upgrade left. I think 27 pounds even is about as low as I can comfortably get. Not sure I am too concerned with getting the new wheelset as light as possible...that may give me a wheelset that is under-gunned for my weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Personally I wouldn't base rim width on weight savings. I'd run a wider rim if you want to spread out the tire casing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was mostly thinking about strength and stiffness...will the i19 hold up?

Trail Prospector
    At 210#, riding 29ers, I prefer durable wheels, and like big tires, so to me the clear choice is - i23.
    i19 = Arch // i23 = Flow, and WTB's are lighter. Go fat and you will not go back!
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah...that makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure if you can detect in my original post that I am leaning toward the i23.

The thing is...I have never paid this much money for a wheelset and I guess I have been brainwashed that you should always go lighter (especially when spending a lot of money). I have followed that dream only to kick myself for trying to go too light at my weight...and I think I am pretty tough on my equipment (at least the LBS thinks so).

On the flip side...I hate going too heavy for something that may not be better than the lighter option. BUT...the total weight difference between the rims is 190 grams. That probably shouldn't be a deal beaker for the i23.

My main dilemma is this: probably 95% of my riding would be good for the i19. BUT...I don't have the money to be a two wheelset kind of guy. So...it is probably good to have something like the i23 for my once a year ride in Downieville or the high Sierras. Plus...I like more durability and less fuss.

BUT...I also like lighter and faster.

This is why I drive people on MTBR nuts! Sorry...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher View Post
    Yeah...that makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure if you can detect in my original post that I am leaning toward the i23.

The thing is...I have never paid this much money for a wheelset and I guess I have been brainwashed that you should always go lighter (especially when spending a lot of money). I have followed that dream only to kick myself for trying to go too light at my weight...and I think I am pretty tough on my equipment (at least the LBS thinks so).

On the flip side...I hate going too heavy for something that may not be better than the lighter option. BUT...the total weight difference between the rims is 190 grams. That probably shouldn't be a deal beaker for the i23.

My main dilemma is this: probably 95% of my riding would be good for the i19. BUT...I don't have the money to be a two wheelset kind of guy. So...it is probably good to have something like the i23 for my once a year ride in Downieville or the high Sierras. Plus...I like more durability and less fuss.

BUT...I also like lighter and faster.

This is why I drive people on MTBR nuts! Sorry...
    2 tire sets - Run lighter tires for less aggressive faster riding on the i23's.

Trail Prospector
    ^^^ +1 this..
    If your inner weight weenie is screaming - try a Ra-Ra, Race King, or ??
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

...In the meantime.
    I weigh about 170 and ran frequency i19's laced to American Classic hubs on my Tallboy. While the rims were light and tubeless setup was a breeze, I annihilated the rims inside of a month and a half. I admit I am a pretty aggressive rider, but 1.5 months is not a long life regardless. However, my buddies and co-workers who are riding the i23's have been having good luck with them (one fella is close to 240lbs, and an equipment destroyer).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah...I have read a few reports of the i19 rims getting destroyed. I'm not fat and flabby, but 200 lbs is still 200 lbs! I'm 99% sure I'll go with the i23...I will call WTB Monday morning and get their 2 cents. I'm guessing they will recommend the i23.

Dropshot Champ!
    cool to see you're upgrading the wheels after the ts100!

I'm curious what is making you go with the e13 hubs though? 60poe is nice, but those hubs come in pretty heavy. I'm not even sure you could build them to i23s and come in near 1700g, but I could be wrong.

Weight penalty isn't that much for the 23 over the 19, but durability and the better fitment with wider tires makes it a no brainer. Congrats!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have been going bonkers selling on Craigslist...came up with the money faster than I anticipated.

The wheelset was recommended by the owner of the shop I purchased my bike from. I had known about the rims, but was new to the hubs. The idea behind the hubs is the taller flange (over-sized hub, shorter spokes, carbon hub shell to reduce weight). Add the rims and it all contributes to a stiffer wheel that is still lighter than my stock wheelset.

I decided on the i23 rims, TRS+ hubs, DT Swiss double butted competition spokes and brass nipples. My usual over-analysis was in effect. They are being built by Brad at 3 Ring Cycles in San Anselmo, CA. He was a Cannondale pro team mechanic for a few years and is some kind of high-end certified mechanic.

In the end, I decided to go with the best overall wheelset instead of focusing primarily on weight. I like the idea of stiffer, better traction, less maintenance, and longer life.

Vincit qui patitur
    Lacemine29 is going to build my wheelset.
    He suggested i23 and DT Swiss hubs.
    I'm 225# plus my gear and I bikepack too.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher View Post
    In the end, I decided to go with the best overall wheelset instead of focusing primarily on weight. I like the idea of stiffer, better traction, less maintenance, and longer life.
    Welcome to the future!