mtbr member
    May 2007

WTB Prowler SL 29er Race MTB Tire

I need to buy a new rear tire for my GF X-cal, I have Bontrager Jones XR front and rear. I looked in the review section for any info on these but I think these are new. Has anyone bought these and have any opinions on them? I need a tire that bites for steep climbs, my Bontragers aren't the greatest. Also from what ive read about my frame I cant go larger than 2.2" wide. Thanks!

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5430

Single Speed Junkie
    These tires are thiner than my other WTB 2.55LT and roll really well.

I like them, give them a shot.

mtbr member
    I'm running one in the back and like it a lot- best "all-around" rear 29 tire I've used. All-around is important here, however, because it's strengths are cornering and braking control. It definitely does not have the climbing traction of the Ignitors or Nevegals I've used the past- but the strengths in other areas are greater, so it balances out.
    Seriously, I've been shocked at how well this tire corners in back- it matches perfectly with the Rampage in front from this regard.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Anyone have real world weights? I guess I'd be looking for the Race versions if that's a little lighter than others.

Have only seem the Prowlers on bikes - never ridden, but looks to be big for a 2.1, and I've had really good wear out of WTB tires in the past. Have held up really well for me.

Emailed WTB about whether or not they would produce a Wolverine in a 29er casing. No plans for it. Shame - it looks like it be a really good choice, fast roller, 2.2 casing, light, plenty of shoulder knob, would be a great dryish condition tire.