mtbr member
    Aug 2010

WTB Laserdisc XC 29" wheels

I recently bought a Santa Cruz Superlight 29 DXC. (really love this bike, big change from my 2011 xcal) It came with WTB Laserdisc 700C (29") Cross County rims laced to Deore M525 hubs. I can't find very much info on these wheels. I know that they are 19mm interior width and are not tubeless ready. My guess is that they are fairly heavy, perhaps 2400 grams, based on other wheels with the M525 hubs. Not too concerned about the weight, given that this is only a $1750 bike. My question is are these rims going to be strong enough for moderately aggressive XC/trail riding. I am 6'1" and 185lbs.

I have had Laserdisc Trail wheels before that were plenty tough, Perhaps it is using 700C in the rim name that makes me a bit nervous. Makes me think it is a cycle-cross wheel or something. So far they have stayed true after about 50-60 miles of trail riding.

As an alternative I am considering Stan's ARCH EX or Sunringle Black Flags (or Chargers). I need more than just weight savings to motivate me at this point to upgarde.
    Last edited by c_trail_biker; 09-10-2012 at 10:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have been using them on a hardtail 29er for about a month. I have not exactly been kind to them on downhill runs. Two flats in two days but they are staying true. I am 170lbs. I had a bit of trouble with going the split tire tubeless route but then I tried gorilla tape and all is great. I am able to run with 23lbs of pressure with no burping issues.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Bomb Proof!

No need for me to get some Flow's/Arch's yet! But I have the real WTB Laserdisc set with the LaserDisc Lite hubs.. I love these wheels--they stay true and are pretty light considering... I am also a Clyde--these are solid...
    Last edited by 247; 12-13-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Professional Crastinator
    Those rims should last a really long time.

I'm 185# and my wheels weigh <1700g - the rear is 5 yrs. old.

You are good to go.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Bomb Proof!

No need for me to get some Flow's/Arch's yet! But I have the real WTB Laserdisc set with the LaserDisc Lite hubs.. I love these wheels--they stay true and are pretty light considering... I am also a Clyde--these are solid...
    Very nice bike

banned
    Apr 2009
    Very nice bike
    Thanks, and cannot wait till I get my 'XX G2 tapered (white) fork on the front.

Tulsa
    chainlove has a set for $275, they may show back up if missed.
    fyi
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    220 lbs packed out and I haven't had a single issue with mine. Over 1200 miles of hard riding,WTB hubs, Gorilla taped for tubeless, works great!