mtbr member
    Jan 2007

WTB Laserdisc Lite hubs w/Laserdisc Trail 29er rims

Is this a good deal? Are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120426015187

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=WE1588

The reviews are mixed. Anyone have experience on this wheelset?

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...48_157crx.aspx

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    They suck... stay away... hubs are decent, but rims do not stay true.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1
    They suck... stay away... hubs are decent, but rims do not stay true.

What he said!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybfat
    What he said!
    How much do you guys weigh? I'm about a buck and a half.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    180, but I have never had an issue with rims in the past...

Tulsa
    mine's fine, single duty
    i'm not that good though

mtbr member
    I'm wieghing in at a duce and was ridged and tacoed front up good on an off cammbered turn still running the rear with a pretty good flat spot in rim but the hub has been holding up good for the amount of muck it's been through. I ended up getting a flow laced to the front hub and it's all good!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1
    180, but I have never had an issue with rims in the past...
    Then why do they suck? Your statements are contradictory.

I try to ride with finesse, but I do occasionally crash. These wheels are cheap enough to break em and then lace them up to a better rim. The same wheelset sold for $170 today and the online retailers are asking over $400.

ballbuster

LDL hubs....

Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    Is this a good deal? Are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120426015187

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=WE1588

The reviews are mixed. Anyone have experience on this wheelset?

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...48_157crx.aspx
    are only 18 point engagement. I had a 18 point hub, and it drove me absolutely batty in granny gear. The crank could turn like 1/4 turn before the freehub would catch.

*edit* wait! the doc says 12 points engagement? that can't be right. That would be completely unridable on anything slow or techy. Maybe if you lived in the flat areas and stayed in middle ring all the time.

If you are never going to do low speed stuff, they are fine.

Also, don't forget to factor in the $45 shipping.

mtbr member
    These rims are one of the stiffest 29er rims in their category. They are fairly wide at 27mm and are pretty well reinforced internally but therefore also heavier than a normal 24mm wide XC rim. The wider rim profile works great for giving tires more volume and a better footprint and therefore also helping prevent a lot of pinch flats. I ride a set of these rims on (Novatec hubs) on a rigid bike on very rocky trails. They have held up great over the past year and the rear has only been trued once because the initial factory wheel build was not good. I definitely recommend the rims.

I'm not normally a betting man, but I would put my money on sam1 and the others having bought crappily assembled wheels. The WTB LaserDisc wheelsets before 2009 used to only be 28 spoke for some reason (aftermarket rims are 32h), but they got their act together and switched to 32 spokes. Add that to the fact that the stock wheelsets apparently had low and uneven spoke tension and you have a recipe for sucking. I have heard other bad experiences of people who bought the old wheelsets and they went 2" out of true in the first ride!

I don't have experience with the hubs, but they get ok reviews. Engagement is slow. They have also had quality problems in the past, but I have heard from others on the forum that some of that is behind them. Not really sure myself, so I personally wouldn't risk it. XT hubs are a much more reliable and bombproof choice for budget hubs

Spooooon!
    I have a set of the Laserdisc wheels also. I can't keep them trued either. The front is wavy and has a couple of flat spots. The rear is better, but doesn't like to keep tension. I plan on ditching the rims and building up the hubs with something stronger (probably Flows). I think the rims are soft which doesn't help + the narrow flange spacing of the hubs might be a contributor to the problem also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I bought a set of the 28H versions for my Inbred last year. I got them for dealer cost so it was an easy decision for me. I weigh about 165, don't ride too hard or as much as some of you guys (I'm more a roadie), but am running a rigid SS. I have had absolutely NO problems with them yet. They were true out of the box and remain so.

As for engagement...I keep pedaling until I crash so it's not been an issue for me.
    J

Spooooon!
    I'm sure a lot of how well the wheels hold up depends on rider mass and style. I'm around 200lbs and my Laserdiscs were on a FS 29er that saw some pretty hard use.

mtbr member
    I put 260 miles on a set before I crashed & boogered them up...which was my fault. I know 260 isn't a lot of miles but I was hard on them & in my opinion they are good wheels for the price. Mine stayed as true as true could be. Always remember, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one.

nothing less than a biker
    I have those wheels since end March, put on 'em something like 400 Km on a Spot Belt SS. to make a long story short: can't keep them true, flexy, imprecise at slow speed cornering, keep feeling the front wheel skidding out. When doing steps (it's full of them in the mountains here in north Italy) I can see the front wheel "vibrate". Initially I thought it was my style, tried Saturday a No-tubes Arch with hope pro 2 hubs: fantastic.
    I'm having the new set (arch + hope 2) in a few weeks (quite expensive).

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    By the time you buy them and replace the rims, you might as well buy a better set of rims.

If you pay $170 for them, and then have to replace one rim with a flow @ $90 plus labor, you are at $300. I just bought a set of new Velocity Blunts with Hope Pro 2's for $325, and you have a much better set of wheels with no down time.

Hubs are decent, so if you don't mind the hassle, go for it. Or you can buy my set with 2 rides and a front rim out of true for $125, I'll never use them...will trade as well...

mtbr member
    Hmm, more comments about how badly the WTB wheelset goes out of true. For that reason I would not buy the WTB wheelset, but there is no reason to be afraid of a better wheelset built with these rims IMHO. The only complaints I have ever heard about the rims are from people who bought those wheels. The same rims are stock on the Redline Flight/D460/D660 and Haro Mary and I haven't heard complaints from owners of those bikes. I guess at this point I probably sound defensive though.

Fossil
    I have the 32h versions of the rims. They were laced to Hope Pro2 hubs and with decent spokes and purty nipples (!) and all they cost me just under $500. So the rim cost was small compared to the whole package. I got them from Universal (they built them). Also let it be known that I am 200 pounds after a hike in the Sahara in my bday suit... but I ride gently as I'm too old to gamble with speed and obstacles. Much.

So shortly after receiving the wheelset I checked spoke tension on them and there was a huge spread from max to min on the rear wheel, as if someone had just haphazardly tensioned them by doing a few spokes real quickly rather than methodically working their way up to the right combo of tension and true. Some spokes were obviously "fighting" spokes on the other side, and sometimes one spoke was carrying all the load while its neighbors were loafing. What a mess. Yeah, I had a couple ez rides on them prior to checking tension so maybe spoke tension was shifting post-build... hoonose.

Believe me, I am no wheel builder, but I can be a steaming nerd about doing things the right way or not at all. So I slowly took tension out of the spokes, then slowly retensioned the spokes, all the while constantly re-measuring tension on the other spokes and keeping track of them all on a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet was set up to make me a pretty little circle graph which helped me visualize what was going on with the wheel. Very, very time consuming at my slow-mo pace. See, I warned you about the steaming nerd part...

Anyway, it took me awhile, but now the wheel is tensioned pretty darn well. My only remaining issue with the wheel is noise... man is the rear wheel noisy... creak, creak, creak.

Given the noise and the possible contribution of the wheel to the seemingly lousy initial tensioning job (?), my next wheelset will not include these rims. I'd try Flows or something else in that size range. Also, while it may have been the only sub-par build that came out of Universal, and maybe the wheel was so crappy it couldn't maintain the correct tension post-build, I would still have to give my business to MC or someone else next time. Lessons learned...
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I got mine through another auction and the spoke tension seems even all over. Maybe the vendor did a once over on them before sending them out. They seem pretty light. We shall see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have the stock Laserdisc wheelset that came on my 2008 RL Flight and have gotten them trued 2 times within 3 months and will need to take them back again as they really out of true. If the third time is not a charm I will sell them and build up a nice budget wheelset.

mtbr member
    I'm about 145 with gear and for some reason destroy wheels. Mine are built up as 32 spokes with Redline hubs and the only problem I have run into has been that they are quite heavy which is just because of my body weight to bike weight ratio. I have never really understood why people need such high engagements on their hubs, I've never actually felt the time space between pressing down and engaging. Maybe the people with the problems just have trouble pushing their cranks to get power so they push slower. I don't really know.

mtbr member
    I am in the process of relacing a pair of king wheels to 29er hoops. The wheels came from my Flux so I rode my spare wheelset today - WTB laser disc on velocity rims. What has been said so far has been true. The slow engagement sucks donkey balls. On a couple of technical spots where i have to pedal back to clear a rock, I was dead in the water. It was like the crankset disappeared from my feet.

I would stay away. I have made that mistake of getting on a "good deal" and then hate the wheels to death to then spend more money buying what I really wanted.

Do not go by MSRP to make yourself believe you got a deal. Cross Max Mavic wheels are about $775 MSRP and the engagement sucks so bad.

I recommend, save the money and have Larry or Chad build you a set of 355's laced to King hubs and you will be set for years to come.....
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I count 24 points of engagement on the Laserdisc Lites. They do matter when you're on super technical areas like rock gardens or uphill starts. But I can't count how many times I had to get off the pedal due to a lack of engagements. It might be zero. Fewer eng's may be an annoyance, but not the end of the world.

I've got kings for my fs 26er and love 'em. I'm looking to downsize to just one bike and a 29er will be my machine. It will be used for commuting as well as xc trails. Ideally, I should have two wheelsets for the road/mountain swap so I may lace the kings up to 29" rims later on. They're about 5 years old with about 5000 mile on them and currently laced to x517's. They're running great with just a few minor tuneups along the way. I felt it would be a shame to unlace a perfectly tuned wheelset. I'll do it when I can commit to having just one bike.

mtbr member
    Wheels are the one area you should splurge. Hubs firs (they last the longest), rims second (because they are somewhat disposable) with equal importance on who builds them. Having ridden Kings pretty much 100% since '99, I was MAJORLY bummed when I tried to save a few bucks on cheaper wheels. Once you are used to quick engagement, you can never go back. Also, I have learned twice that when I bought a cheap wheelset only to sell it at 60% of what I paid one month later, I end up losing money in the long run.