mtbr member

WTB Laser TCS Trail 29er Rims

Anyone try out WTB's new Laser TCS 29er rims yet?

http://www.wtb.com/products/wheels/r...sertcstrail29/

Weight at 470g seems on par with a Stans Arch - but it's actually a bit wider and actually has eyelets, which I'm assuming means you could use higher spoke tension with these.

I wonder if they hold tubeless tires as well as the Stans rims?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Haven't tried them but I believe the TCS is WTB'S version of the UST. I still like Stan's tubeless design better.

mtbr member
    WTB's tubless version is licensed from Stan's not Mavic

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks. I stand corrected.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay View Post
    Weight at 470g seems on par with a Stans Arch - but it's actually a bit wider and actually has eyelets, which I'm assuming means you could use higher spoke tension with these.
    Arch rims actual weight = 480g to 500g/rim on average

WTB TCS actual weight = 515g/rim on average. They've all been really close so far.

TCS = 21mm inside width. Arch and 355 = 18.8mm, Crest = 21mm, Flow = 22mm.

The WTB's take tension pretty well. No one knows how well they'll do long-term, as they've only been out for ~a month.

Pretty much identical tubeless setup to Stans with the tape and valve. Simple and predictable.

MC

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay View Post

that is a good thing. the old laserdisc trails were almost the anti stans in their design and its ease of converting to tubeless.
    Try this: HTFU

Ground Pounder
    I thought WTB went with a UST bead, unlike Stan's who uses BST. They both use tape and a valve, but I think the WTBs have more in common with the Bontrager TLR line. This was the big appeal of these rims for me, with eyelets being a nicety.
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

Expert Crasher
    Are these rims designed for a UST style bead - i.e. Ideal for the current crop of tubeless ready tires from Specy, Geax, Bontrager, etc?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I had absolutely no problems or difficulty converting a set of WTB Laserdisc Trails with WTB tires to tubeless. Not sure what would make them "anti-Stans".
    Mind your own religion.

Expert Crasher
    I am looking at these to augment my mikesee built Gordo (tubes) wheel set with a tubeless system before I move back to Colorado (and thorns/goat heads) next summer. Any mid-term feedback? Well familiar with Flows, had 2 sets in the past, but like these as well, not intending to use non-TLR beads on this set.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Here's some feedback in this thread for the XC rims: The WTB Laser TCS Rim: Anyone laced it yet?
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    The TCS rims are made to a UST bead profile, not the Stans BST.

Nuts
    I'll be listing a WTB TCS XC Stryker wheelset on here soon.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Why? ^^^

How much do the TCS cost new?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Why? ^^^

How much do the TCS cost new?
    Really cool wheel set, but I had a nasty crash and totaled out the front wheel. So while I wait for WTB to send me a new one I bought a new wheel set (I'm very impatient). As soon as I get the new one in I was going to list them on here. The rear wheel has about 20 miles on it and the front will be either new rim and spokes or totally new and I think they list for about $900-$1000. But like I said I got a new wheel set so I will list these very reasonable when it comes in.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

whatever happened to these?

the laser tcs 29er wheelset keeps popping up on chainlove for $209 for the set and it is damned tempting, but there doesn't seem to be any info available about these and wtb has stopped making them.

what gives? seems like a very capable wheelset. not the lightest but light enough and just fine. and relatively durable. am i missing something?

thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by otisinLA View Post
    the laser tcs 29er wheelset keeps popping up on chainlove for $209 for the set and it is damned tempting, but there doesn't seem to be any info available about these and wtb has stopped making them.

what gives? seems like a very capable wheelset. not the lightest but light enough and just fine. and relatively durable. am i missing something?

thanks.
    Hubs are American Classic clones, pretty good. Rims are basically the current Frequency i23 TCS rims. $209 is quite a deal.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

dirtbag

thanks.
    I picked up a set from chainlove for a bit more (+40) and been riding them for a month. I set them up with TCS versions of the Bronson/Wolverine tires. Tubeless setup was hella easy - the easiest I've ever done, inflated with a floor pump. Yeah, they're not light but for a general purpose wheelset they do well.

Looks like chainlove is blowing them out for cheap since they're no longer produced, but WTB still has a Speed TCS wheelset available.
    Amolan

Trail Prospector

thanks.
    When the TCS where first out they first appeared only as wheelsets, and little info was available, so I called WTB for the 411. Hubs are the weakest link, and the rear only has low POE - like 15.
    This is why I took a pass. Always count the # of clicks..

... tapas
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..