aka baycat

WTB ExiWolf 29ers for race

x-posted

Running the stock Bonti XRs on my GF Rig, and thinking about swapping out them for an upcoming 8 hour race. Rear seems to hook up well. Terrain from what I have heard is fairly buff, with nothing overly technical in the way of roots and rocks. Have not had much rain, so mud should be minimal.

Does the WTB ExiWolf make a better front tire? Or should I run both as they might be a bit better than the Bontis?

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    I don't think so. It's big, but not that great in front. I like the IRC Mythos front/back. I haven't tried too many tires though. But the Mythos is so light! You can't beat light for long days.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Exi's are cushy, but IME wash out with little warning.
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

aka baycat
    Probably will stick with the Bontis then front and back. Wash out a lot when they are in front vs rear?

mtbr member

GEAX Saguaros

Roll better and weigh less than the Exiwolfs. The GEAX have very good climbing and cornering grip, roll nice and fast, and have a decent volume (although slightly less than the Exi).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can tell you how they work in sand mixed with leaves and pine needles and the very rooty trails i raced on the last few weeks. One was a solo 6 hour race and the other was
    an expert 21 mile SS race.

I have had no problem with the Exi up front on my rigid GT 29er. I run the smaller Nano on the rear with very little problems. I run about 20 psi in the front and 30 in the rear.

aka baycat
    Good input, this would be a solo 8 hour ride. It is a choice between the Bonti XRs or the Exiwolfs, or some combination of the two.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    out here on the east coast i can't imagine a worse front tire than the exi...

maybe it works well on superhardpack surfaces but with no shoulder knobs it is one crappy tire for holding on in the turns in most conditions here.

ballbuster

I might suggest...

Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    x-posted

Running the stock Bonti XRs on my GF Rig, and thinking about swapping out them for an upcoming 8 hour race. Rear seems to hook up well. Terrain from what I have heard is fairly buff, with nothing overly technical in the way of roots and rocks. Have not had much rain, so mud should be minimal.

Does the WTB ExiWolf make a better front tire? Or should I run both as they might be a bit better than the Bontis?
    ... that since you won't be hammertiming it, any tire that is cushy and rolls well is your ticket.

Exiwolves seem to do that. I've only run the steel bead ones on my 29er.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    the exi-wolf has to be at a bare minimum over 200grams more than the xr(mine are actually close to 300 more) and don't hook up as well, roll as well etc...when it was the only tire with a heavy casing and high volume it was worth it, but now
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Talk to Jim at Summit Bicycles in San Rafael, 456-4700.

He races SS and is very knowledgable!

(I have no affiliation with this shop)

Professional lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Qfactor03
    Roll better and weigh less than the Exiwolfs. The GEAX have very good climbing and cornering grip, roll nice and fast, and have a decent volume (although slightly less than the Exi).
    I'm not sold on the Saguaros yet. I've ridden the Exis (love them 26, hated them 29) and so far the Geax don't feel that less draggy to me. they seem to grip better and have a similar "spongy" feel to them (hmmmm...I guess that's draggy, now isn't it?).

I also have to agree with the Mythos. Great rolling tire, but having blown them off Delgado discs, three times now, I had to have something to protect my rims. So the Geax it is for a while.

large member
    I've had really bad experiences with the Exi's myself.

jrm
    mtbr member

Choice for me..

would be a resolution up front and the XR in back
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbnj.com
    I see that this is a cross post and that you are from northern Ca. Did you post in that forum because, well, this is a world wide forum, I love my exiwolfs here in NJ in non muddy conditions, but Boris in the Ukraine, Mel in Austrailia, and Juan in Central America, may all have different views, so how does that help you? Give your local folks a chance, you may get a better perspective.

walter
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

aka baycat
    Good point Walter. Yep some of the nor cal folks 3x did chime in, one even gave me the number to the LBS I go to sometimes.

Seems they are good tires for the east coasters.

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat

Seems they are good tires for the east coasters.
    The Exi? Definitely not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    The Exi? Definitely not.

I guess i don't count as an east coaster, i am on the west coast of Florida. If you run WTB
    tires on their much wider rims, the tires work 100 times better. I have run as low as 15 psi in the front and 20 in the rear and never flated.

Florida Trail Monkey

Hey Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by mondo
    I can tell you how they work in sand mixed with leaves and pine needles and the very rooty trails i raced on the last few weeks. One was a solo 6 hour race and the other was
    an expert 21 mile SS race.

I have had no problem with the Exi up front on my rigid GT 29er. I run the smaller Nano on the rear with very little problems. I run about 20 psi in the front and 30 in the rear.
    Sorry to the OP for a slight threadjack..

Mondo, was that you at Squiggy on the pink GT w/ drop bars? If so, that bike is awesome and you really seemed to be hammering that day.

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by mondo
    I guess i don't count as an east coaster, i am on the west coast of Florida. If you run WTB
    tires on their much wider rims, the tires work 100 times better. I have run as low as 15 psi in the front and 20 in the rear and never flated.
    I've run them on 28mm rims (DD's) on technical mid-atlantic single track. They are overly sluggish for their traction and sketchy in the high speed turns and steep technical descents at any pressure. At 20psi in the rear, you will flat around here no question. They are surprisingly harsch too for their volume compared to many other more confidence inspiring options.

Hey Ryan. I've got the Exi 2.3's on my Retro.
    They're heavy as hell, but you've ridden with me... does it seem like I have wash out issues?

I do like my tires to drift a little. I find them to be cushy and predictable. Though for race tires I thought about going with the Maxxis Crossmark. I like them in the 26" version. they are faaaast rolling tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I like my exi's. They suck in the mud, bot other than that I am happy with them. Nice volume and low rolling resistance. Havent flatted but once and the wear is pretty even. No complaints. And I live in the mid-atlantic (Pa) as well.

aka baycat
    Sounds good Dennis, well I have ridden with you, but not been able to keep up on the downhill!

Will get up to your hood once your hand is healed.

If I have time might swap out the tires, why the heck not, and race them. Otherwise will try them out the following weekend.