Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Thanks

Good Stuff

Your Best Friend

Giant Anthem Advanced X29er 0

Quick review. I've had the bike for not quite 2 months now but I've already put over 200 miles on it.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Formerly of Kent
    RockShox Sid RCT3 2012 Forks Reviews

My review of the SID RCT3 29er fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Rep systems are good, nice idea for rep count

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Edge 500 review

Thanks for the prodding, I have read many reviews here but not written. So, here is the 1st of many.
    I guess I can't post a link since I don't have ten posts. Anyway, I wrote a review of the Garmin Edge 500. My most recent bike toy.

Xtreme Lounger
    My review of Dumonde Tech Original chain lube.

Can a brother get some pos rep? Apparently my debonair avatar and witty caption haven't produced the flood of PM's from the ladies like I was hoping. After careful reflection I believe the problem is the size of my rep.

Trail Ninja
    Wow, the first and only review of Dumonde Tech chain lube? I thought it was more well known, with how many people are raving over it. Guess no one bothered to try and make a "proper" mtbr review for it.

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Wow, the first and only review of Dumonde Tech chain lube? I thought it was more well known, with how many people are raving over it. Guess no one bothered to try and make a "proper" mtbr review for it.
    I thought it was kind of tough to do a review on a chain lube. It's one of those subjects/product categories that often devolves into an almost religious debate. I tried to be factual, provide "measurements", and compare/contrast with other products. I always like to read how a product compares with other competing products - especially when those other products are highly respected and/or familiar to most readers. Otherwise the review just becomes "I love it, it's awesome, run out and buy it already" which does little to inform the reader.

Trail Ninja
    Can't give you any more reps to increase your mojo! You're preaching the same stuff that I did a few posts up, to the point it sounds like you're sucking up, but even if it is, I welcome it and your review really is helpful.

I probably would've used the same details and comparison to review it if I wrote a review for it. I used to carry a bottle of ProLink with me, since it wore out so fast, especially if it got a little wet, or I rode through puddles or streams. I loved how clean it was though, but needing to reapply it so often was enough to make me look for alternatives when I had to rebuy. Glad Dumonde offers a lube that has similar cleanliness, but actually lasts more than 1-2 rides. Wasn't about to resort to some other lube that made my entire drivetrain black. Probably wouldn't consider it that expensive, since I'm not a fan of degreasing; if a chain lube saves me well over 1 hour of my time of such hassle and saves me time used on relubing, I consider it worth that extra cost, considering the value of my free time.

Xtreme Lounger
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Can't give you any more reps to increase your mojo! You're preaching the same stuff that I did a few posts up, to the point it sounds like you're sucking up, but even if it is, I welcome it and your review really is helpful.

I probably would've used the same details and comparison to review it if I wrote a review for it. I used to carry a bottle of ProLink with me, since it wore out so fast, especially if it got a little wet, or I rode through puddles or streams. I loved how clean it was though, but needing to reapply it so often was enough to make me look for alternatives when I had to rebuy. Glad Dumonde offers a lube that has similar cleanliness, but actually lasts more than 1-2 rides. Wasn't about to resort to some other lube that made my entire drivetrain black. Probably wouldn't consider it that expensive, since I'm not a fan of degreasing; if a chain lube saves me well over 1 hour of my time of such hassle and saves me time used on relubing, I consider it worth that extra cost, considering the value of my free time.
    When I posted, I just jumped to the last page and put it out there. Now that I paged back and read your posts, I see what you mean. I hope you're not too hurt that I wasn't sucking up.

I haven't reviewed anything here in years because most reviews were either pissing contests or "It's totally awesome". Since the review section was "remodeled" I haven't really done my duty to post reviews. I'd like to change that going forward.

As far as lube goes, yeah, you know what I'm talking about with the ProLink based on your description. The Dumonde Original, in my opinion, does everything ProLink does but does it much better and without any negative side-effects ... other than a slightly steeper price depending where you buy it. I briefly looked at the Dumonde Lite version at the same store but immediately steered away from it because I could tell just by looking at the consistency of the fluid in the bottle that it was very "thin" and reminded me of ProLink.

I didn't want to fill my review with conjecture, but I suspect the reason ProLink is so much "thinner" and doesn't last very long is that the percentage of solvents per unit volume is very high. WD-40 is the same way only more so - very high on solvents and quite low on lubricant - but there is lubricant in it and it does work as a lubricant ... for a very, very short period of time. ProLink just seems to be more on the WD-40 end of the chain lube spectrum. I think that's also the reason why ProLink smells way stronger than Dumonde - it's the amount of solvents per unit volume. The Dumonde is definitely "oil-based" and contains solvent. There is a warning on the side about using it near open flames which is always the give-away. The strange part is, it seems every bit as clean as the ProLink if not more so. Part of the reason might be that with the Dumonde, a drop is more viscous and therefore easier to see, meter, and dispense. ProLink is so thin it's often times hard to see if you got zero, one, or a bunch of drops on each link. That will lead to over-lubing which then runs across the plates and drips down. Dumonde has never "splattered" for me when spinning the chain after application - and ProLink, no matter how thin/careful/sparingly I apply it will always splatter and drip when back pedaling the chain. That's probably what leads to more dust/dirt attraction and therefore a bigger hassle when cleaning up.

Anyhow, if you haven't given the Dumonde Original a try and you're getting low on your chain lube of choice, try it out for your next bottle. See what you think and then post up a review in the review section.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    See reviews for my review of the gloworm x2. Also, how do we add products to be revised? I just bought the garmin premium hr monitor but its not on the list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wrote a review for the Truvativ Aka cranks. Not the most insightful review because what's to say? They work great. No issues. I love that I can use MRP bling rings and put them on an inexpensive crank. I saw them on sale so cheap recently, it was almost worth buying a set to replace mine whenever the bb wears out. I've only been using them for 6 months, but if they hold up as well as they have so far, I think they're a steal.

Added a second review for a Husker Du tire. Again, a simple glowing review. Two mediocre written reviews ought to be worth some rep.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 10-28-2012 at 01:05 AM.

meh... whatever
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

insert blank disk

mtbr member
    ^Spam for 29er hair pieces...sweet!
    Signature

The Hutch
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wrote a review on the specialized P2, Avid bb7's, azonic outlaw wheelset, and odi ruffian grips. Don't have enough posts to post links though.........................

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great idea

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

My review of Fox Fork 32 float 29

Sorry up front this may be the wrong forum for this post which is more of a question than a review. As this is my first post ever on this sight I am unable to post a new thread until I have 5 posts which is a bit of a catch 22 situation.

I bought a 2013 Scott Scale 910 nearly 8wks ago. It is an awesome bike but.........
    The lock out on the Fox Fork 32 Float 29 has failed 3 times. The first time it happened was on the first ride. It went back to the LBS and a week later I had a whole new bike, nice I thought.
    The next lasted 10 to 12hrs before the lock out failed. I took it back to the LBS who rang Fox who said it would be a 4 day turn around to have the problem fixed. Two weeks later it was not back so the LBS put on another new set they had in the shop, good on them I thought. This was the day before a race. I went for a warm up ride and they failed (the lock out) after approx 300m yes you read right. With no time left to change before race I simply pumped more air into them to make up for no lock out. Anyway I digress. I am still waiting for the second set to come back or a forth new set.
    Is anyone else experiencing these problems?
    When pushed the LBS said Fox had admitted to them a problem with the lockout on these forks!

Primative Screwhead

2013 Fox

That does sound frustrating.

I was under the impression that 2013 Fox forks were all CTD damper equipped, meaning that they no longer have a lock-out, just a very strong "Climb" compression adjustment tune that eliminates sag. This was my experience when I test rode a Giant XTC a few weeks ago. After a few rides, I got used to it, but I still prefer the original setting.

Good luck with your forks.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Now that I can post links, here goes.

Avid BB7: Avid BB7 Disc Brake System Reviews

Azonic Outlaw Wheelset: Azonic Outlaw Wheelset Reviews

ODI Ruffian Grips: Odi Grips Ruffian Lock-On Grip Reviews

Specialized P2: Specialized P.2 DJ/MtnX Reviews

More to come soon once I test out all the new goodies I just bought

NeedGod.com
    Airborne Guardian review here: Airborne Guardian 29er Hardtail Reviews
    Nathan

29ers Forever
    I wrote a review of the Cannondale F9 (the latest one on the list)
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

I am the Tin Man!
    Now I see how this works, wrote up a review and been waiting for my rep that hasnt showed up yet. Here is a link to my Fuji Tahoe Pro 29er that has been my hardtail of choice for the past year and a half.

Fuji Tahoe 29 Pro 29er Hardtail Reviews
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast