mtbr member
    Nov 2011

BMC Team Elite te29

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

My other ride is your mom
    duplicate post

My other ride is your mom
    Well, it's been 5 months and I'm finally ready to offer up a review of my Pivot Mach429 here....I've tweaked some things on the bike but know I know what I like about it and what I don.....:

Pivot Cycles Mach 429 29er Full Suspension Reviews

two wheel whore

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Lights Reviewed

Here's my review of new Dinotte light:

DiNotte Lighting XML-3 Lights Reviews
    If you're really honest about it, they're all "cheater lines".

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    deleted as in wrong thread
    Last edited by caspar; 10-05-2012 at 12:35 AM.

mtbr member

HouseNotes Amateur review of Jet 9 RDO

The Build:

From Hammerhead-Great Price & Advice on my Build!!!! Thank you Scott!

Frame JET9 RDO; Float RP23 Kashima; Tapered HT, 100mm
    Fork Rock Shox Revelation 120mm, Tapered, 100mm, 20mm Maxle
    Headset FSA OE from Niner.
    Frt Der XT 10spd
    Rear Der XT Long Cage 10sp Shadow
    Shifter XT 2x10sp
    Brakes Shimano XT; 180 Front/160 Rear rotors
    Crank Shimano XT, 26/36, 2x10
    Chain HG74 10spd
    BB SRAM PF30 to BSA BB Adapter Kit
    Cassette SLX 10sp, 11-36
    Wheels Stan’s Arch
    Tires Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25
    Bar Niner Flat Top carbon
    Grips ESI
    Stem Niner RDO
    Seatpost Niner RDO Carbon
    Seat Fizik Gobi

The Review:

First, let me say that I bought this bike to replace an 8 year old 26" Giant NRS 1 that served me very well. So this review is meant to help those in similar situations, NOT those that upgrade bikes every year or so.

8 years on new technology REALLY shows! Besides the obvious fact that the 29" wheels roll over EVERYTHING a lot easier, I was also impressed with much how much FASTER I am on this bike! Using the same leg force, I'm climbing faster, riding faster, and riding with a grin from ear to ear! I guess because of the larger wheels you don't have to use as much energy to keep things going, because I'm not nearly as tired at the top of a climb as before, plus, I'm keeping up (or passing) my friend on his 26er, which I've never done before! THIS BIKE IS FAST!

Rocks, Roots, Technical Stuff-Fuggedaboutit! This thing just eats them up. I feel like I'm in one of those car commercials where the scene shows the guy sitting still in his car while underneath the suspension is jumping all over the place. The RDO just keeps me moving in a straight line and doesn't beat me to death doing it. It FLOATS over all this stuff. I've taken rock garden climbs that I've never made with my trusty Giant and rode right up them on this bike!

I also thought that the bigger wheels would hinder my cornering but I feel just as, if not more, comfortable taking these as I did on my 26er. This bike is very nimble. And BTW, my build came in at 26.5 lbs (without pedals) which I'm not bragging about (my Giant was 28) BUT, it rides ALOT lighter. Not sure why, but it feels light!

For the first time in my riding life, I am also noticing things like: Better wheels and hubs (maybe more POE-which I learned about on this forum), Handlebar width-710mm, (makes the handling better for a Niner bike), and Lower Air Pressure in my Tubeless setup- I run 21 & 19 lbs. I was a little concerned about the 2x10 setup (I was accustomed to a 3x9 setup) but I'm really glad I took the advice and went with the 2x10. I haven't had any problems looking for a lower granny and most times, don't even use the lower gears at all-even on my toughest climbs. Not sure why, but don't seem to need them-maybe the 29's easier going up stuff again Oh yeah, the CARBON! Feels very stiff and solid. Did I say how much I LOVE this bike?!

All in all, this bike is a BIG change in my riding and I'm loving it!
    More to come later as I learn just what I'm experiencing with all this new technology in biking!
    Hope this helps someone. For now, I'm hitting the trail
    Single Track Rules!

sock puppet
    rep distributed for reviewers... thanks folks...

Formerly of Kent

mtbr member
    Here's my review of Zimbale 18L saddle bag.
    Zimbale Traditional 18 Liter Saddle Bags Reviews
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    BR-M985 XTR Brakes Reviewed

Shimano XTR BR-M985 Disc Brake System Reviews

Rep distributed

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

Mulleticious

Rockshox Reba RL

Submitted a review of my Reba fork - great value for money:

Rockshox Reba RL suspension fork

Also repping all reviewers

(Great job, people )

mtbr member
    first review since 1998! (back then they didn't even have forums!)

Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost Reviews

mtbr member

mtbr member
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Well here is my review of the santa cruz superlight 29 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 29er Full Suspension Reviews
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanx for sharing

mtbr member
    here's another. didn't go easy on them ("Lil' Phil Grease Gun"):

Phil Wood Lil

Trail Ninja
    ^^ Thanks.

Repped your other post (Phil Wood Grease Gun Adapter).

That's the kind of post I like to see on mtbr. An actual consumer review with useful details, has a link to pics, and doesn't seem to have any hidden agenda (unless you count doing it for the rep), and is free of the "new bike stuff stoke" and free of "brand fanatic hype"! Felt like I was better informed after reading it, without needing to filter out "crap". Rare to see low ratings with solid justification that can't really be argued, like this one, while it's sad to see that many others can be called silly personal complaints.

Read your Thomson Masterpiece review too, but like this one better.

Off-topic: will the review system be upgraded at all? Don't see any thread about possible improvements on it, on the first few pages of the Site Feedback forum. Would be nice if you could edit reviews and add a link/button under people's profiles directly to people's reviews (next to user gallery link maybe). Maybe people might actually care for the reviews if they can't just write one and basically forget it. I mean, I might just add minh as a fav reviewer if there were such an option.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 10-18-2012 at 02:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    ^^ Thanks.

Repped your other post (Phil Wood Grease Gun Adapter).

That's the kind of post I like to see on mtbr. An actual consumer review with useful details, has a link to pics, and doesn't seem to have any hidden agenda (unless you count doing it for the rep), and is free of the "new bike stuff stoke" and free of "brand fanatic hype"! Felt like I was better informed after reading it, without needing to filter out "crap". Rare to see low ratings with solid justification that can't really be argued, like this one, while it's sad to see that many others can be called silly personal complaints.

Read your Thomson Masterpiece review too, but like this one better.

Off-topic: will the review system be upgraded at all? Don't see any thread about possible improvements on it, on the first few pages of the Site Feedback forum. Would be nice if you could edit reviews and add a link/button under people's profiles directly to people's reviews (next to user gallery link maybe). Maybe people might actually care for the reviews if they can't just write one and basically forget it. I mean, I might just add minh as a fav reviewer if there were such an option.
    Ha! thanks! I'd also like the above features. ability to post pics, edit review, or maybe even link to a follow up review for long term. Or like amazon, "most helpful positive review" and "most helpful critical review"

Trail Ninja
    I really like that Amazon suggestion. Amazon has tons of consumer reviews on their products. You can just look at the star rating, but sometimes people want to know some more detail on how that star rating came to be. The most helpful reviews being bumped up to the top are really good. I sometimes click to see other reviews, but I quickly tire of them.

I know people put out significant effort into writing reviews, but there are just reviews that I find stand out as being really helpful. Ones where the reviewer actually thinks about who would read their review and how they should write it to be helpful to them.

Saying things like "loving it" or "best ____" or "you can't go wrong" or "lightweight" without any specific detail which can be used by others to compare to competing products results in a review that I feel isn't helpful. Maybe that's just me. I guess others who actually use the product might have their brand fanatic hype charged up and feel good about their purchase from such reviews, but to the people looking to compare, if many products were full of such reviews, it'd turn out to be a relatively shallow popularity contest.

The review system seems kind of weak and redundant at the moment. Right now, it's all about forum threads. Maybe better off simply upgrading the forum with more features and indexing it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

XT PLUS Dérailleur

Heres my review of the new XT PLUS derailleur Shimano XT RD-M786 Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur Reviews

It's definitely worth the extra $ if you are in the market for a new RD. I believe is only $20 more than the standard XT 10 speed dyna sys. One of the more significant improvements to come along in the past few years, IMHO.
    If you're really honest about it, they're all "cheater lines".

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast