Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Gigantic Hawk

Just Ride
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

the half breed devil
    my humble thanks for the rep coming my way. i'll also do one for my 'cross bike if there's a place for it on this site.

Gigantic Hawk
    How do we go about doing reviews for items that aren't on MTBR yet? Is there a way for us to add them?

Niner Bikes Carbon Fork 29er Forks Reviews
    Last edited by dubthang; 04-25-2012 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    How do we go about doing reviews for items that aren't on MTBR yet? Is there a way for us to add them?

Niner Bikes Carbon Fork 29er Forks Reviews
    Yeah, write a forum administrator

Trail Ninja
    Surprised that there were no reviews on the Urge Down-O-Matic Full Face Helmet. Here's my contribution to the cause:

Urge Down-O-Matic Full Face Helmet Reviews

Being put to good use:

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Speed Thrills
    Did my part.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Reviewed me KHS Flagstaff

Trail Junkie
    Last edited by dubdryver; 04-26-2012 at 01:52 PM.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Yeti SB-95 review...

SB 95 coming next month
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by snigs View Post
    Yeti SB-95 review...

SB 95 coming next month

Nice write up man! I think they were wanting the reviews in the Reviews section of MTBR though, and not an informal write-up in the forums. Maybe you can cut and paste some of the info into a review for the bike.

Its great that you compared the SB-66 and SB-95, how does the SB-95 compare to some of the competition out there from your assessment? It helps me if I have a baseline to compare it to.

I own a Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon, and I am pretty intrigued at the suspension design that Yeti came up with. It shows that they are willing to step outside the box and create something new! Previously they have always played it safe and used proven suspension designs which didn't make it all that different than other products out there. Now with the Switch Technology, I think they bring something different and special..or at least uniquely "Yeti" to the table!

Have you rode any Tallboys, Jet9 RDOs, Epics, AnthemX29s or DW-Link bikes to compare how the suspension perform compared to the SB-95?

Thanks for sharing!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Oops I'll have to jump over to the "real" review, then...fixed it:

Yeti Cycles SB-95 29er Full Suspension Reviews

As far as comparison goes, I only rode the Yetis that day...major homer, that's me

I have rode the Mojo HD, which I absolutely love as well. And, I hear it is cert'd for 650b in 140 mode. So that intrigues me. The HD pedaled wonderfully and felt great with a 160 fork...although on real steep climbs I did knock it down to 120 with the TALAS. Again, I can speak to this ride's ability on the ups since I think I was even more hungover for that demo (trend? ). That bike, being carbon, was so light it virtually felt like it was pedaling itself. I would expect the Ripley to follow suit.

I think that Santa Cruz was at Fruita last year, as was Specialized. I will have to give either a Tallboy or a Stumpy a go. Will report back...in the review area of course.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

Trail Ninja
    What's up with the new product reviews half looking like trail reviews?

mtbr member

Good job! Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4"

Here's my review of the Maxxis Ardent 2.4:

Maxxis Ardent 29er 29er Tire Reviews

Enjoy and Thanks for looking

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    What's up with the new product reviews half looking like trail reviews?
    Do trail reviews count?

Outback Trail at Imagination Glen Indiana Trail Reviews

Potato Creek State Park Indiana Trail Reviews
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

~Reformed Mechanic~
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

Keep on Rockin...

Help...

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    It is that time of year as a cyclist's thoughts turn to dirt singletrack, epic rides and new swag.

So I challenge you to contribute a good review to the MTBR reviews here: Mountain Bike Product Reviews - Mtbr.com

Go to your newly purchased and well sorted out bike, or that bike you have had for a year or a couple of years or forever and write up a fab review, write a boffo followup review, or write an end of the line, bike is done, Dear John review so those that come after you will be sure of their purchase and be able to hit those trails knowing you have trail tested it to the best of your ability.

This responsibility doesn't come cheaply, so be honest and forthcoming, contribute to the site and post a link to your review here. Others will look at your review, nod their heads appreciatively and then come back and rep the heck out of you because your review was so awesome!

Do it!

Do it now!

Can someone either explain the "Rep" thing to me, or point me to where I can find out exactly what it means, and how to give it to others.

What's the deal with "Rep Power" vs. the green Pez "Rep"?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Scott Scale 29 Team vs Specialized Carve Expert

I moved from 26 to 29 last year as an intermediate rider. I am tall but not too chunky so the spaciousness of a 29er combined with rolling resistance that is more familiar to me (was a road bike rider and never got used to 26 wheels with decent tread on tarmac) seemed logical.

As soon as I received the bike I fell in love with it. I couldn't believe how well it rolled on my commute, and thought it handled XC pretty well. I was never totally convinced about the stiffness of the Alex rims and spoke system combined with the jelly-like Rocket Rons, but it all worked and my fear of buckling never came true. I was very happy with the drive train and brakes. My only real criticism of the Scott Scale Team 29 was the squiffy steering - it just didn't work intuitively and picking a route through a tight chicane on or off road was interesting. Not sexy.

The my beloved Scale was stolen from my garage (if you're reading this, scum, I hope you cracked your pelvis in two when you tried to ride a bike set up for someone 6'5") and my insurance agent was brilliant, but alas not Scott Scale Team 29ers were due into the UK for some time (2012) so I had no choice but to select another bike. The bike shop the insurance company hooked me up with immediately suggested the Specialized Carve Expert 29, which is new this season. It would have been a contender last year, but it simply didn't exist in 2011.

The Carve is very similar in specification, but I had to upgrade by a few quid to get the Expert model. I am very used to buying the largest frame size in the range, but amazingly Specialized do an XXL Carve compared to the XL Scott Scale. For the first time in my life I was riding a bike that not only fitted me, but was not at the extreme end of the scale, and with all the worries that come with that such as 'is this geometry REALLY successful, or is it just there to soak up the market of taller riders?'. Yey! I'm not considered a freak any more!

My first impression was that it was a better frame than the Scott, only slightly, but cleaner lines and better weld finishing. Drive train, brakes etc all very similar in feel and quality. The big and very noticeable immediate negative was the rolling resistance, which made it distinctly harder to ride tarmac... but then I took it off-road:

A completely different experience to the Scott Scale - I forget I'm riding a 29 - there's absolutely no hint that the rims are delicate, the geometry is so sweet picking those tough chicanes is now a very enjoyable experience. Sexual!

Carve is an excellent name for the bike. I am a snowboarder and I know all about carving, and this bike replicates that feel - something just not possible on the Scott due, I suspect, to the geometry combined with the 100mm RS fork. I haven't managed to bottom out the 80mm Recon yet so I am currently agreeing with Specialized that 100mm isn't absolutely necessary for my kind of riding.

I complained about the rolling resistance of the Captain Controls, but off-road it clicked in my head that Specialized have committed this bike to off-road, and it works extremely well! I can now mentally forgive the rolling resistance on tarmac because I'm safe in the knowledge that plugging my way out of deep mud is easy compared to the Rocket Rons.

I feel I can throw the bike around like a BMX compared to the Scott which always felt like riding a lanky horse off road.

Hats off to Specialized for getting the geometry to work so dam well for someone my height. I love Scott and will never look away from them - they are innovators at heart and make excellent products, but in this case, it just goes to show that a year is a long time in the 29er world.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Can someone either explain the "Rep" thing to me, or point me to where I can find out exactly what it means, and how to give it to others.

What's the deal with "Rep Power" vs. the green Pez "Rep"?

Thanks.
    Forum Reputation and Rep Power. What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemradio View Post
    Scott Scale 29 Team vs Specialized Carve Expert

I moved from 26 to 29 last year as an intermediate rider. I am tall but not too chunky so the spaciousness of a 29er combined with rolling resistance that is more familiar to me (was a road bike rider and never got used to 26 wheels with decent tread on tarmac) seemed logical.

As soon as I received the bike I fell in love with it. I couldn't believe how well it rolled on my commute, and thought it handled XC pretty well. I was never totally convinced about the stiffness of the Alex rims and spoke system combined with the jelly-like Rocket Rons, but it all worked and my fear of buckling never came true. I was very happy with the drive train and brakes. My only real criticism of the Scott Scale Team 29 was the squiffy steering - it just didn't work intuitively and picking a route through a tight chicane on or off road was interesting. Not sexy.

The my beloved Scale was stolen from my garage (if you're reading this, scum, I hope you cracked your pelvis in two when you tried to ride a bike set up for someone 6'5") and my insurance agent was brilliant, but alas not Scott Scale Team 29ers were due into the UK for some time (2012) so I had no choice but to select another bike. The bike shop the insurance company hooked me up with immediately suggested the Specialized Carve Expert 29, which is new this season. It would have been a contender last year, but it simply didn't exist in 2011.

The Carve is very similar in specification, but I had to upgrade by a few quid to get the Expert model. I am very used to buying the largest frame size in the range, but amazingly Specialized do an XXL Carve compared to the XL Scott Scale. For the first time in my life I was riding a bike that not only fitted me, but was not at the extreme end of the scale, and with all the worries that come with that such as 'is this geometry REALLY successful, or is it just there to soak up the market of taller riders?'. Yey! I'm not considered a freak any more!

My first impression was that it was a better frame than the Scott, only slightly, but cleaner lines and better weld finishing. Drive train, brakes etc all very similar in feel and quality. The big and very noticeable immediate negative was the rolling resistance, which made it distinctly harder to ride tarmac... but then I took it off-road:

A completely different experience to the Scott Scale - I forget I'm riding a 29 - there's absolutely no hint that the rims are delicate, the geometry is so sweet picking those tough chicanes is now a very enjoyable experience. Sexual!

Carve is an excellent name for the bike. I am a snowboarder and I know all about carving, and this bike replicates that feel - something just not possible on the Scott due, I suspect, to the geometry combined with the 100mm RS fork. I haven't managed to bottom out the 80mm Recon yet so I am currently agreeing with Specialized that 100mm isn't absolutely necessary for my kind of riding.

I complained about the rolling resistance of the Captain Controls, but off-road it clicked in my head that Specialized have committed this bike to off-road, and it works extremely well! I can now mentally forgive the rolling resistance on tarmac because I'm safe in the knowledge that plugging my way out of deep mud is easy compared to the Rocket Rons.

I feel I can throw the bike around like a BMX compared to the Scott which always felt like riding a lanky horse off road.

Hats off to Specialized for getting the geometry to work so dam well for someone my height. I love Scott and will never look away from them - they are innovators at heart and make excellent products, but in this case, it just goes to show that a year is a long time in the 29er world.
    Thanks for the review! See if you can write up one here as well: Scott Scale 29 Team 29er Hardtail Reviews and Specialized Carve Expert 29 29er Hardtail Reviews

just click the write review button and go to work!
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Can't review my own bike

Last week I received on the mail my DB Overdrive 29er. To my disappointment I found a spoke bent and the rear derailleur bent towards the wheel. Since I got my bike in Friday and got it out of the box at night I have had to stare at it in my living room all weekend instead of hitting the road

I can't wait to call Diamondback on Monday and try to get this squared away. I had knee surgery in January and riding a bike on the street wil be a perfect low impact exercise until the dr. releases me to do more hard core activities (like riding on dirt roads).

I have also started a thread and keep everybody posted on my experience with costumer service. Once the bike is ready to go I will be more than glad to write a review.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Write a review get some rep!-spoke.jpg  

Write a review get some rep!-img_0160.jpg  

Write a review get some rep!-img_0161.jpg  

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast