Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No, I don't want to repair it as in my mind, what's next? The headtube cracking, the bottom bracket? They (Niner), knew there was a problem with them as they told my LBS, who is a Niner dealer, that they have had both of my problems happen to other frames!! So Niner redesigns their frame to "fix" problems they had and says sorry (or f@#k you) to who ever had the old one. And by old one I mean 2012. It may not be Niners fault, the factory in Taiwan may have made a bad batch. What do they care if Niner has to replace the frames. If Niner goes belly up, the Taiwan factory just makes frames for one of the other companies selling carbon frames.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sorry nowaysj, I was trying to reply to machine4321. But to respond to your point, I completely agree! If you but something that expensive and have to throw it away in a year, no one will buy it. Niner should recall the frame. They have had both major problems with my frame happen before and they know about them. They redesigned because of it!! I would not say I love Cannondale as a company, but they stand behind their product! I have seen many Crackandfails fail and Cannondale ALLWAYS makes good!! Its sad but the fact is Niner would probably go under if they stood behind the junk they made! Instead, maybe they should find a new manufacture, one with more quality control!!

transmitter~receiver

Write a review get some rep!

Quote Originally Posted by tiger3bikes View Post
    I clean the bike after every ride to inspect it as I still don't trust carbon
    If you don't trust carbon why would you buy a used carbon frame that you know you have no warranty protection on?
    Did you read the warranty policy or call Niner and ask them about it before the purchase?
    That's what I did before I bought a used Niner fork. The rep said, no, you won't be covered but these forks are stout and for that price it sounds like a great deal, I'd jump on it."
    It sucks, but second owner warranty is nonexistent in the bike world, and it's not like that's a secret.
    In the fantasy world where bike companies warranty second-owner frames that bike would have been WAY more expensive, both the first time it was purchased and on resale.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Check out my review on my 2013 Stache 8.

Trek Stache 8 29er Hardtail Reviews - Mtbr.com

Thanks!
    Still looking for mountains in Florida

mtbr member
    Here's my review on my GT Karakoram 2.0:

GT Karakoram 2.0 29er Hardtail Reviews - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Here's my review on the Diamondback Cobra 20":

Diamondback Cobra 20 Kids Reviews - Mtbr.com

meh... whatever
    Yes, the new frame would have a 5 year warranty. Unless they find a way to get out of it. My mindset is I paid $1400 for the frame and rode it about 10 times. The replacement would be $1800. So now I'm $3200 into a frame that only made it 10 rides before and I cant sell it because the cost $2800 new so either way I have a $1400 paper weight. Maybe I can leave it out somewhere and someone will do me a favor and steal it! Either way, I'm done with Niner's bikes!!!
    sorry for being late to the party, but just HAD to weigh in on this one cuz there is simply no reason for this kind of non-sensical boo-hooing.

first of all, are you aware that there are MANY companies that will repair carbon frames? {gasp} true story! calfee being one of them. generally repair runs $200-600 and they warranty their work. friend of mine completely shattered the seatstay of a carbon superfly and calfee did an awesome repair job that was virtually indistinguishable and is still going strong 4 years and many thousands of hard miles later. so yeah, you DO have options other than a $1400 paper weight. yet another option is to send it to me at my expense!

second, the fact that niner was still willing to give you, the SECOND OWNER, a replacement frame under their crash replacement policy is a testament to their customer service rather than "proof" that they are trying to "get out" of honoring their warranty. hint: YOU DON'T HAVE A WARRANTY that niner's trying to avoid honoring!

so as far as complaining because niner didn't give the SECOND OWNER (i.e. you) a free replacement frame per their warranty agreement with the ORIGINAL OWNER (i.e. not you).... stifle it. seriously bro, you should be embarrassed to publicly whine about that. suck it up and be a man about it instead of crying like a tween girl who just got her first period. you rolled the dice by buying a used frame because you were too cheap, too poor, or too impatient to save for a new frame WITH WARRANTY and you crapped out and lost. you have no one to blame but YOURSELF.

common sense 101: if you want the security blanket of a free replacement warranty then BUY A NEW FRAME/BIKE instead of a used one.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

sock puppet
    Thank you for reminding me of all the entertainment laying ahead of us this coming winter. This was funny. And well said. Great work bro! Hope all is well.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Hey everyone, this is my first post on mtbr so just wanted to add to the discussion. Also, really sorry to hear about tiger3bikes jet, that really is unfortunate. Just recently bought a discounted air 9 so hopefully wont encounter the same issues.
    As everyone seems to be posting their reviews i figured i would as well....so if your interested in a felt nine go ahead and check out what i had to say....

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Thank you for reminding me of all the entertainment laying ahead of us this coming winter. This was funny. And well said. Great work bro! Hope all is well.
    mwah-hahahahahaha....... oh yeah -- it's on!

doing well, my friend. you?
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here's my review of the Salsa El Mariachi Ti frame

Salsa Cycles El Mariachi Ti 29er Hardtail Reviews - Mtbr.com

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by diggsbjnhl View Post
    Went with a Niner SIR9 with Niner carbon fork. Running Sunringle Charger pros with the Racing Ralph TL Evo in a 2.4.*********************l/lh8uQf[/img]
    So, what is your review of said ride? I have a Niner SIR9 with matching Steel fork and love it. I feel just as good attacking tech sections as I did with my old REBA (even better actually). Been a RaRa guy for years, However, for Improved traction I am now going with 2.35 Nobby Nicks front and rear (Stans ArchEX's w/Hope ProII's). I still have 2.35/2.25 Racing Ralph combo on my lighter (dare I say, racing) Single Speed (Niner One9 w/carbon fork, I-9's...), but the improved overall traction with the Nobby Nics has me considering changing out at least the front RaRa as the extra grams is a small price to pay for the increased confidence.

mtbr member
    Here's my review for the Manitou Tower Pro 120mm:

Manitou Tower Pro 29er Forks Reviews - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What bothers me about the bike industry is that they are so unlikely to recall a product even when they know they have a problem. I suppose it comes down to money and a recall would cost them dearly so they let things break or fail and fix under warranty but hope it never gets there. I guess what it would take to change this is a big ass law suit. Then, all the sudden, the risk of a possible law suit and following law suits out weigh the cost of a recall. Only then will this change. I sympathize with the guy BUT buyer beware. You chose to buy something without warranty of a material you don't have complete faith in and you are letting your anger make poor decisions. Spend the cash and either repair or get it replaced. No sense in a $1400 paper weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What I find amazing is people still love this Taiwan made junk company. Two local bike shops sold them and both stopped after less than a year. The one shop told me every bike they sold from Niner came back with problems. The other shop showed me a frame that was broken that was the guys third one!! I can show you pictures of my frame and you would laugh. I think it's more common sense than anger that makes me call it a loss and move on rather than buy another frame when I know the outcome.

transmitter~receiver

What I find amazing is people still love this Taiwan made junk company. Two local bike shops sold them and both stopped after less than a year. The one shop told me every bike they sold from Niner came back with problems. The other shop showed me a frame that was broken that was the guys third one!! I can show you pictures of my frame and you would laugh. I think it's more common sense than anger that makes me call it a loss and move on rather than buy another frame when I know the outcome.
    I might laugh at how ridiculous you are. You had bad luck, but that's not an excuse to turn yourself into a complete ass.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    explain to me how I'm a complete ass. I and countless other people who bought these frames had problems. Two shops had countless problems with them and stopped selling them. I'm ridiculous how? I assume you sell them then?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sorry, I didn't reply sooner. I'm crying like a tween girl? I'm on a forum talking about my experience. Sorry you feel the need to insult me. You disagree, fine, say so and state why. You made statements that were true, in-between the insults. Yes I bought used. Yes I took a chance and yes there are other options. Does Niner have to do any thing for me NO! I still feel a manufacture"s defect should be covered. You disagree, fine. I bought a used mountain bike, I'm not the only one. It broke and I'm frustrated. I did suck it up and I bought another bike. There is no need to belittle me on the computer to make a point. You had valid points, point taken.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You want to call the two shops in question? Overlook Mountain Bikes, Woodstock NY 845-679-2122. Coxsackie bike shop, Coxsackie NY, 518-731-9313.

transmitter~receiver
    explain to me how I'm a complete ass. I and countless other people who bought these frames had problems.
    Most of them have been reasonably taken care of, including you. Despite your feeling of entitlement after buying a used frame (which was zero revenue to Niner), they offered crash replacement, which they didn't have to do, yet you go off on how you've been hosed and drag the country of manufacture into it?!?

I'm ridiculous how?
    Like this:
    I assume you sell them then?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It seems you miss the point. This thread was "write a review, get some rep". I wrote a review, the gist being the best suspension, the worst reliability. I have been mountain biking since 88. I have owned many bikes from many companies. I have never seen a bike last less than a year. Especially one that the frame cost $2800. Regardless if I bought it new or I was the 50th owner, the frame broke in less than a year. That is the point. I guess I do have a sense of entitlement, and crazy high expectations that a $2800 frame lasts longer than a year! I'm just crazy like that. Fox recalled 40,000 forks. Some, 2012s that are out of warranty. That is a company that had a manufactures defect, and wants to make good. Are they getting money from someone to do it? Or are they worried about having repeat customers? Niner makes no money from people who buy used? If they make a good product they will get repeat customers, thats how they make money. This thread was to write a review, not play internet tough guy, writing things that would never be said to someones face in conversation. Stick to statements about my review and keep the personal stuff out of it. You don't know me, calling me a complete ass and the Peace out girl scout don't impress me or make me see your point any better. Your first post made me think and you were right on many points. If my frustration on losing a good amount of money made me write in poor judgment, I can say I was wrong. To be honest, nobody wishes that frame didn't break more than me. I LOVED how it rode. It was the best bike I ever rode. It broke and I'm not happy about it. THAT, was my point!

transmitter~receiver

It seems you miss the point. This thread was "write a review, get some rep". I wrote a review, the gist being the best suspension, the worst reliability.
    It probably never occurred to your dumb ass that the "review" means a review in the review section of the site, not just a thread dedicated for you to throw in your "two cents." You are the one who missed the point.
    The ass part is the entitlement but mostly the completely unnecessary (IMO) repeated bagging on Taiwan (no I'm not Taiwanese, as I'm sure your 3rd grade logic would lead you to believe).
    You are an ass and I would say it to your face in a second if you had the balls to spew all of that crap to mine.
    I had actually forgotten about your original idiocy when I responded to your latest moronic spew.

Always in the wrong gear
    Review of Whiskey Parts Co. Riser bars.
    Whisky Parts No. 7 Co-Rise Handlebar Reviews - Mtbr.com

WTB Volt Saddle Review:
    WTB Volt SLT Saddle Reviews - Mtbr.com
    Gary Fisher Rig SS
    Santa Cruz Solo

A gear-curious singlespeeder

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm done writing to internet tough guys. I live in NY, email me when you're around and I promise to post the results to youtube so all of your empty talk from the safety of your mom's basement will end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Coondog#77, I read your review of the bars and I have never heard of Whiskey Parts Co. so I checked them out. You're right about the bars being understated, they looked good! Are the ends reinforced to take clamp on grips? Very few companies actually say their bars are safe for clamp on grips, Niner is one. The through axle cross fork is something I have never seen either, with a 350 lbs limit! Thats funny!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast