Thread: Would you buy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Would you buy?

Hi everyone. I just got back into cycling and wanted to pick up a nice mountain bike. Iíve been riding road most of this year and just got the itch for the trails again. I havenít ridden off road since I had a GT HT back in the early 2000s. I rented a Specialized Comp 29 and was amazed at how capable these new bikes are. I started poking around the local marketplace and stumbled upon a 2018 Evil Wreckoning. What are your thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would you buy?-f243f6d5-a794-4020-a410-ec358b9e9f5a.jpg  

Would you buy?-137f6927-7949-4788-b1a7-d76c06d14d97.jpeg  

Would you buy?-ca2d844f-dc30-4f59-afec-4488d4a8c522.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    It looks like it was used by a 280 pounder.
    I only buy used from 160 or less.
    Millions of bikes collect dust, find 1 that fits you.

mtbr member
    Your going to gamble on any used carbon mtb. That looks like a pretty solid deal provided that rash by the BB is just superficial (it looks that way from the pics). Keep in mind that's a big mountain slayer...not exactly a trail bike. If you have the terrain for it that's an awesome bike.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evil0ne View Post
    Hi everyone. I just got back into cycling and wanted to pick up a nice mountain bike. Iíve been riding road most of this year and just got the itch for the trails again. I havenít ridden off road since I had a GT HT back in the early 2000s. I rented a Specialized Comp 29 and was amazed at how capable these new bikes are. I started poking around the local marketplace and stumbled upon a 2018 Evil Wreckoning. What are your thoughts?
    With a little of patience you can put something even better with your budget. Spend that amount and weíre is the warranty, I put the one I have together with what I like and still way lower that your budget and the only thing use was the frame and fork. Everything else is new and under 25 pounds. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    It looks like it was used by a 280 pounder.
    I only buy used from 160 or less.
    Millions of bikes collect dust, find 1 that fits you.
    As a 220+ pounder that's interesting. More concerned with the added stress on the frame, etc?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Your going to gamble on any used carbon mtb. That looks like a pretty solid deal provided that rash by the BB is just superficial (it looks that way from the pics). Keep in mind that's a big mountain slayer...not exactly a trail bike. If you have the terrain for it that's an awesome bike.
    Thanks for your input. Hope he still has it so I can see it in person when I get back in town.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by evil0ne View Post
    As a 220+ pounder that's interesting. More concerned with the added stress on the frame, etc?
    Everywhere, frame, wheels, suspension, transmission. I am 137 i just do not stress a bike. Chain etc.. very little need for maintenance. It sounds terrible bike allmost new had many parts replaced. All the others will need soon. I read cassette broken, even trying i could never. For wheels many manufacturer mention more frequent retensioning of spokes. I worked with a rickshaw we had 36 spokes to carry heavy loads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I wouldn't touch that bike with a 10 foot pole.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No way.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Id try and get for a bit less... the real issue for me is that its about a 2 hour drive to get to trails that would justify that type of bike. I would really give some thought to the trails you will be ridding, could take some fun out mellow trails and be a bit much to drag around if its not needed.

mtbr member
    hard pass... I would not own an evil without a warranty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thank you for the input; I hope to find something soon. It's almost prime riding season.