mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Worth making a project bike? 2010 Fuji Outland 29 RC

I found a 2010 Fuji Outland 29 RC (http://2010.fujibikes.com/Mountain/F...C-%281%29.aspx) frame and Rock Shox Monarch 3.3 rear shock on craigslist for $250. I see the whole bike new is around the $4000 mark.

Is that a good deal for this frame and fork? Would I be out of my mind to make this a project bike and add all of the other components myself? I would try to get as much stuff used as I can. I've had some friends tell me I could get it going for around $1000 total (including $250 for the frame/shock).

davidcarson48
    The frame is rather heavy, but rides well. For $250, it's a steal if you know the shock is in good shape and the geometry works for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    How much would it cost for me to put mid-grade components on the frame to complete it?

Is the project worth it in a budget sense? Or would it be cheaper just to buy a complete bike?

davidcarson48
    If you are careful about what you buy (sales, eBay), you can probably do pretty well. $1000 might be pushing it, but $1200 is very doable with reliable parts.

It really is up to you. Would you enjoy building it? Do you have the patience to wait for good deals? Do you know what are good deals? Do you have something else to ride in the meantime?

You can do something like a Giant FS 29er for around $1500 anyway. But, like you said, the Fuji was alot more than that as a complete bike. Good luck!

mtbr member
    You can get a decent X9 build kit from Price Point for about $750. I am sure you can find a decent fork for $300. You are looking at $1300 for a complete bike. Most low end 29er full suspensions I have seen at usually $2000. The bike will be on the heavy side, but so will the bikes that cost $700 - $1000 more.