Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why not a Giant TranceX Maestro suspension 29er?

So instead of a this vs that thread, I thought I would see if anyone had anything strong to say against the Giant TraceX's Maestro suspension etc. Any reason these aren't worthy bikes? I don't think I can afford say a Ripley. Would I be missing out on true new FS design nirvana?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just like anything it's personal preference. Nothing wrong with them, but I always suggest riding as many as you can and deciding which you like best.
    You could ride a Maestro then a VPP, FSR, DW link or CVA and like one of those a lot better or not.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The Giant Trance is a great bike but I also agree that you should ride as many different bikes as possible before buying.

usually cranky
    if you are after dw but cant afford it i hear mastero is about as close as you can get.

AZ
    banned
    I have a bunch of time on a Trance X 29er and it is my opinion that you could do far, far worse in picking a new ride. Caveat, some heavier guys (like me) may have better results with this bike if you re-valve the rear shock with a firmer tune (compression side).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    The Giant Trance is a great bike but I also agree that you should ride as many different bikes as possible before buying.
    Exactly, everyone might like it but it just can't work out for you. It's rare but it happens...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Why not a Giant TranceX Maestro suspension 29er?

Only thing I didn't like about my trance x 29er was the 120mm fork and overdrive 2 headset standard. That was solved with a kashima 34 set to 130mm and a new top headset cup for standard 1 1/8. The bike was pretty sweet but I'm moving it out the door as the enduro 29er fits my dh background a bit better and I got such a sweet deal I couldn't say no... Back on topic though in my opinion maestro is about as close to dw link as you can get without actually going dw link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The maestro suspension is a very good design..And ive been a huge fan of giants offerings for a while now. It's a very active suspension, but doesn't require a lockout when standing and mashing on climbs...like some people experience with vpp. It's definitely worth trying out if you haven't already. But of course, like others said, you gotta test ride all the options and make your own decision. It's nice to have so many choices...the days of poorly designed rear suspension are long gone (for the most part).

What I like best about giant is the value. You'll typically get a nicer speced bike for less money, without sacrificing quality. The downside to the trance x is the 1.25-1.5 overdrive2. I think they jumped the gun on this new "standard". It's a great idea, but we already have enough standards to worry about..but of course, it's an easy fix. In no way would I consider it a deal breaker...more of an inconvenience if you wanna change forks.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm a fan of how the Giant suspension works, I have talked a few friends that don't have big budgets into them.

Test ride for sure & make sure you test ride an Anthem as well as the Trance because the Anthem pedals better & Trance is better on the down's

Make sure if you buy 1 you buy the right 1 for you.

cowbell
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, ride a lot of bikes, buy what your rides and budget intersect at.

That said, I ride an Anthem. This past December I rode with my brother and a bunch of his friends who pretty much all ride Pivots. By which I mean, there were 9 of us total, and 6 Pivots. My brother had been on and on about the advantages of the Pivot FS design - and really, it's a great setup, don't get me wrong. He's also an advocate of how stiff the rear triangle on the Pivot is. In other words, he's proud of the money he spent on his Pivot. But after following me up and down a couple of mountains, he remarked that the rear end on my anthem looked as solid on the trail as any Pivot he'd ever followed, and that to me is a pretty high compliment, especially if you start to compare price points. So there's a plus for your to keep in mind. I don't think you lose much to any of the really high end stuff by purchasing a Giant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    The maestro suspension is a very good design..And ive been a huge fan of giants offerings for a while now. It's a very active suspension, but doesn't require a lockout when standing and mashing on climbs...like some people experience with vpp. It's definitely worth trying out if you haven't already. But of course, like others said, you gotta test ride all the options and make your own decision. It's nice to have so many choices...the days of poorly designed rear suspension are long gone (for the most part).

What I like best about giant is the value. You'll typically get a nicer speced bike for less money, without sacrificing quality. The downside to the trance x is the 1.25-1.5 overdrive2. I think they jumped the gun on this new "standard". It's a great idea, but we already have enough standards to worry about..but of course, it's an easy fix. In no way would I consider it a deal breaker...more of an inconvenience if you wanna change forks.
    I tend to disagree on the value of Giants. When I priced them they weren't that much cheaper maybe a few hundred and the way they save you that money is using a lot of inhouse parts.
    At the point you're spending 4k on a bike $200 shouldn't be the deciding factor.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I ride a tallboy LTC, but rented a giant trance X0 in so cal. I wanted to see if I could have gotten a bike I also loved at a lower price. (there were no trance demos at the time I was looking). I thought the trance was great although the so cal trails were not technical at all which made it a little difficult to compare.

When we got back to the shop I checked the price and it was about $600 more than my LTC which I got a great deal on. On sale the trance prob could have gone for less but would have been pretty close.

My point is just all these bikes are great and often times we are just splitting hairs. I say go for the one you can get the best deal on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Test ride for sure & make sure you test ride an Anthem as well as the Trance because the Anthem pedals better & Trance is better on the down's

Make sure if you buy 1 you buy the right 1 for you.
    I have recently demo'ed a TranceX-0. I liked everything accept the Fox fork. It was so bad it made me not sure I liked the bike. But I'm pretty sure everything was good accept the fork. But that makes me concerned enough to be hesitant about getting it.

I don't mind being more capable/comfortable on the downhills, which is why I was leaning towards the Trance. But it also not really THAT much different from the Anthem maybe?
    Last edited by Wish I Were Riding; 05-02-2013 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added something I forgot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    That said, I ride an Anthem.
    I should demo an Anthem too. I think I wanted to go shorter chainstays with slacker HT geo, which is why I was leaning towards the Trance though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    My point is just all these bikes are great and often times we are just splitting hairs. I say go for the one you can get the best deal on.
    I don't see any good deals coming my way, but I hear what you are saying. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    the downside is the lousy seat, and elixir brakes. everything else is good...and i'm a dropper post convert after thinking they were stupid. i've had to make a bunch of minor adjustments to get the bike to my liking as i have with others. its taken a couple of weeks but the closer I get the more fun i'm having. suspension is "active" but not mushy. pedaling and climbing are efficient even in trail mode. quicker in climb mode. i can deal with the seat, given the plush suspension, but the turkey warble from the elixir rear brake is my only lasting gripe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hophead1 View Post
    the downside is the lousy seat, and elixir brakes. everything else is good...and i'm a dropper post convert after thinking they were stupid. i've had to make a bunch of minor adjustments to get the bike to my liking as i have with others. its taken a couple of weeks but the closer I get the more fun i'm having. suspension is "active" but not mushy. pedaling and climbing are efficient even in trail mode. quicker in climb mode. i can deal with the seat, given the plush suspension, but the turkey warble from the elixir rear brake is my only lasting gripe.
    Yesterday, I demo'd a Trance and the front brake had the 'turkey warble'. Is this common with the Avid brakes?
    SlideWright Outdoor Gear Tools & Wares
    Bike * Ski * Snowboard * Camp & more

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Yesterday, I demo'd a Trance and the front brake had the 'turkey warble'. Is this common with the Avid brakes?
    As people say, Avid Hydros can be hit or miss. My experience is miss. The XT brakes on the TranceX-0 where perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    I'd say yes. That's why so many people recommend getting SLX or XT and work it as part of any deal on a bike with Avids.

A couple manufacturers have builds that are SLX/XT mixes using Avids to save money. A decent LBS should be willing to work out a trade in on the Avids for the SLX or XTon a new bike purchase.
    When I was first looking at the Tallboy RXC kit, my shop was willing to give me a trade in discount on getting XT brakes, but I just ended up with the full XT kit.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks guys. Good to know.
    SlideWright Outdoor Gear Tools & Wares
    Bike * Ski * Snowboard * Camp & more

Airborne Flight Crew
    He seriously could judge the stiffness of the back triangle by watching and following another rider - Looking "solid" can be as much the rider as it is the bike - how does one tell the difference?

That said, I'll echo the others - test ride. Test ride. Test ride.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Yep. test ride.

I eagerly awaited the arrival of the Tx 29, but it didn't feel right to me, and I couldn't get the M or L to fit to my liking. Nothing wrong with a maestro suspension though.. at all. It's one of the better designs IMO.

Off the saddle
    Since I was curious, I went to my nearest Giant dealer and tried out the Trance X "2". I've never ridden a DW, Maestro, or VPP suspension before so it was a treat. It was a brief spin behind the store on a bit of rough grassy terrain with a few areas of ruts and whatnot. It was enough to make the suspension work. In the limited time I had, I did as much as I could. I got off the saddle and hammered away. Sat and pedaled. Ran over roots and other stuff on and off sadle. Although the suspension wasn't set for my weight it still worked fine. I'm sold on this type of suspension as well as the 29er. I felt propelled forward for a lack of better words. I'm more of a frameset guy but they checked warehouse inventory and even called Giant. Sold out until next season. You can still order and received completed bikes though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm thinking about selling my Trance. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I don't quite like it as much as some of the other moderate travel bikes I've ridden like the SB95. It's a great value, and rides well, but something just feels off occasionally when I ride it. I'm tempted to slap the 120 fork on my Anthem to see how it works out.

mtbr member
    The build quality, frame stiffness and suspension performance are all top notch. As always, the Maestro suspension is easy to set up and forget about. Value for money is very good on the frameset and complete bikes here.

One thing that makes a test ride even more important (if you can) is the ride position. There’s something odd about the geometry that causes the top tube to feel longer and the seat tube angle to feel slacker than it should. The effect is an unusually rearward ride position, almost to the point of feeling like I'm falling off the back. To compensate I'm running my saddle further forward and tilted further down than usual. Sure the effective seat tube angle is 73 degrees, but the actual one is a lot slacker. This gets more apparent the higher you run the saddle...it's moving your position back, not just up. This seems to have been picked up on by other riders and mentioned in a few reviews. Some people wont notice it, while it will bother others right from the start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast