mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Why no rider reports: Jersey Devil FS and Nine EMD

Hi,

IMHO these are two nice looking bikes but no-one seems to own one and post about them?

I'm curious to know how these bikes ride? Anyone got any info?

Rob

another bozo on the bus
    2 thumbs up for the jersey devil. after 150 miles on it, I have had sufficient time to get used to it. It climbs well, keeping both wheels firmly planted even on the steepest of grunts, with 350mm post at max height. decents feel good as well responding quicklythrough the fast flowy sections as well as the steep switchbacks . on the technical sections, the the rear suspension becomes very active and eats up the big rocks with ease. the only gripe here is the seat tube is pinched to give tire clearance, so you only get maybe 2 inchs of adjustability. this would only be an issue if you adjust you seat height mid- ride and could easily be fixed w the purchase of a gravity dropper or speedball, although I don't belive maverick makes the SB in smaller diameters. anyway, the bike feels good and controlled in the air when jumping and is very responsive when pumping over bumps or rocks, although the WB fork feels mediocre at best in the the rough stuff. Van Dessel did a great job of building a nice all-arounder here, which has inspired the sale of 2 bikes, including my freeride bike to keep my stable to a minimum. you also gotta love the classy graphics at a time when companies are at an all-time high with cheesy graphics. I think its well worth the $2500.

bike size medium
    rider specs 6'2 140lbs 32" inseam (i prefer a small cockpit)
    stock bike except seat and I swapped out the rapid rise der.

future upgrades will include hydros with 8" rotor to replace the cable discs and maybe a gravity dropper (gasp)

mtbr member
    I used to have a Niner EMD 9 - had to sell it for financial (hockey fees for my kids) reasons, but it was a great frame for the price. Light, yet solid feeling, yet not harsh like some AL frames can be.

Definitely great bang for the buck with the EMD 9!

mechmann_mtb
    i think instead of the EMD most people get the AIR9(gears) or the ONE9(SS).

go STEEL SIR9