Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Why 29er

Why do people like 29ers so much. It just seems like less control.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Less control makes for a more exciting ride! I dig it, thinking of going brakeless too.

Formerly of Kent
    Less control? How so?

As compared to what? What are you riding now?

How would a 29er have less control than it? What about the wheel sized do you think would give it less traction or cornering ability?

mtbr member
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    A 29er tire has a larger contact patch, and since its larger in diameter it rolls over rocks etc easier. If it handles weird it the geometry of the bike
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

Bite Me.
    Even though you have less control, the gravitational and gyroscopic effects of the bigger wheel creates a magical energy vortex full of sparkly Higgs Bosun Particles that actually makes the bike fly and bend the time/space interface. The faster you ride, the younger and stronger you get - it's true.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    A 29er tire has a larger contact patch, and since its larger in diameter it rolls over rocks etc easier. If it handles weird it the geometry of the bike
    In what way is a 29" contact patch larger?
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    In what way is a 29" contact patch larger?
    Really is that hard to figure out? Not trying to be an ass or anything, but that's pretty much common sense isn't it?

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    Even though you have less control, the gravitational and gyroscopic effects of the bigger wheel creates a magical energy vortex full of sparkly Higgs Bosun Particles that actually makes the bike fly and bend the time/space interface. The faster you ride, the younger and stronger you get - it's true.
    ^^^this^^^

Think about it... it's true. I hear music, too.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    The contact patch is not *larger* for a 29er v 26er - it is *longer* and skinnier.

Flame war: The 29er "contact area" argument
    Randy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    Really is that hard to figure out? Not trying to be an ass or anything, but that's pretty much common sense isn't it?
    Well actually it's not that straight forward. I wanted to see if "t0pcat" was just making an assumption or if he had an understanding of the facts.

As a matter of fact the area of a tire's contact patch is unaffected by the size of the wheel. The contact patch is governed by tire pressure and the weight of the bike and rider. In other words the contact patch area of a 26" bike will be the same as a 29" bike, assuming the same tire, tire pressure and weight.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

29ers Forever
    29ers are going to have a different feel than a 26er. 29ers roll over objects batter, have a better attack angle for mountain slopes, and can roll faster than a 26er.
    That is why I ride both.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    there are some good videos on youtube (in lieu of the comment i was going to make) you should check them out.

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    ---
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduro14 View Post
    It is a matter of give and take.
    Maybe it does have less control in some ways however, I like the fact that I can control it better over obstacles.

Really if you are serious, the best way to figure it out is to ride 26er and 29er with similar equipment and specs. Then decide for yourself what you think is better.

mtbr member
    When I'm ridin' mine I can smell colors...
    maladroitus extraordinairus

banned
    Aug 2012
    I find that when I forget to secure the quick-release stuff, I really can't tell much difference

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    A 29er tire has a larger contact patch, and since its larger in diameter it rolls over rocks etc easier.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Once you get use to the way greater speed of 29'ers, then you will come to understand control!
    It's a Zen thing.
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My 29er dominates my friends 26er on just faster, bigger trails where you maintain one speed through the whole thing. But for on stuff like slower, technical stuff where u have to slow down and accelerate a lot, the 26er is sooo much easier to use. I also feel like while going doing slow steep stuff where you have to go quite slow to control yourself, the 26er feels a lot more balanced. Thats all my imo

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    [QUOTE=ŽandyA;10096993]The contact patch is not *larger* for a 29er v 26er - it is *longer* and skinnier.

Go one treks website and it shows you how the 29er has a larger contact patch. And why would it be skinnier if the wheel is the same width. Youa re right about it being longer

Formerly of Kent
    [QUOTE=ntkersh;10098610]
    Quote Originally Posted by ŽandyA View Post
    The contact patch is not *larger* for a 29er v 26er - it is *longer* and skinnier.

Go one treks website and it shows you how the 29er has a larger contact patch. And why would it be skinnier if the wheel is the same width. Youa re right about it being longer
    So a rider suddenly weighs more, and presses the tires into the earth more, because he is on a 29er? Because that is what you are saying.

Seriously. Think about the terms "psi". Pounds per square inch. Pounds of weight supported on a certain area. The only way to make the total area LARGER is to put more weight on it.

Physics. It's crazy, I know.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    29er mountain bike is new descent,unlike traditional bike 26 inch wheel diameter, with a 29-inch design, brought many exciting new features! Some people may think that these "big wheels" like a clown riding a car, but, in fact, most of them have a one-sided idea because they not in-depth study it.

For example the shock. In theory, all forms of shock, including 29er, seem to be able to let the terrain becomes more flat. Installed on a 29-inch mountain bike suspention is much more complex than in the 26-inch bike. Bigger wheels lead to smaller space for install the shock, so the frame must be redesigned. And larger wheels need to re-design the frame geometry, to make the bike in the best condition.

Meanwhile, the larger wheels and tires will make the bike heavier, which is not conducive to enhance speed. Although it will be easier for 29-inch wheels protruding through the diamond-shaped road, but in other types of potholes on the performance is not entirely the case. Small wheels have less momentum, easy to accelerate, but the big wheels is good at maintain rotational inertia.

Riders perfer to 29er, because it has faster speed and better through. For professional players, in the same one track, these advantages do not seem how can improve their overall time. However, with more experience, they will become more confident in the face of rough terrain.

Remeber that the improved comfort and confidence is usually equivalent to faster speed. This well explains why some diminutive female athletes on the World Cup XC race riding 29er achieve huge success. When they feel riding easier, it saves time.

29er carbon frames

Professional Crastinator
    What people?

A rigid 29er is better than a rigid 26er. That's why I like mine so much.
    The improved rolling of the 29er enhances my control. It is most noticeable when you are trying to rail a rooty corner. Most rigid 26ers will skitter right off the trail, but the 29er has a greater ability to hang on - probably due both to the improved rolling of the larger wheel and the longer contact patch of the tire being able to bridge the gaps between the roots/bumps (even if it's just a tiny bit).

In 2 years my 29er gave me confidence that 13 years of riding the same 26er never gave me. Instead of hitting something sketchy at speed and hoping for the best, I hit stuff at speed and I pretty much know what is going to happen - because I am in control. Of course, the speed has been going up and I'm getting closer to that hoping-for-the-best feeling.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.MT View Post
    ... Although it will be easier for 29-inch wheels protruding through the diamond-shaped road, but in other types of potholes on the performance is not entirely the case. ...
    Look, although it's impossible to argue with logic like ^^^this^^^, we ought to stop *****footing around and get to the bottom line truth. The real answer to the question "why 29er" is this: chicks dig guys with bigger contact patches.

Sorry to have kept the truth hidden for so long, but dood, the wimmins will be all over ya. 'Nuff said.

--sParty
    Last edited by Sparticus; 01-23-2013 at 07:32 AM.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast