Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

When will Europe see the light?

Europe is still anti-29er.. Like everything else (fashion, music,movies, and other cool things) they're usually 10 years behind the US. But they're really missing the boat on the 29er fad. Come on Europe, catch up, you've got a few manufacturers I'd love to see building 29ers, but due to lack of demand over there it's not going to happen for a while.

In case you're listening, I'd like to see some more carbon HT 29er's....
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like a great excuse for WW-III. We need to liberate them again.

Having a nice day!
    When they stop dominating races on 26" bikes?

Recovering couch patato
    29" EU, sure, way behind US.
    But FASHION...you may want to reconsider that mention :-) Perhaps the US walked in all-jeans or stretch suits long before us. Then, yes.
    MUSIC: all classics were composed in EU, Britpop, Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden. We're catching on that Country thing more slowly, yes. Hiphop, maybe. And the new R&B we never fully embraced.

I see little progress here in Holland, although we had a 29"er catch a national -23 title back in 2004 already. Alu frame, Pace 26" rigid fork, Nano tires. Since, it's been "uncool".

Cycling is a stupid market all over the world. In the world of the blind, Cyclops is king. I'll hand that to the US, they have one eye wide open, and getting the most out of it. Mostly thanks to Fisher of course, for putting everything on the line getting these bikes out there, and not letting down. G2 and carbon are the last missing links. The rest of the US bike market is just copying Fisher as well as they can without it being to obvious. Coming back from previous statement (Rocky Mountain, Specialized).
    Like a small group of hooligans can really mess up the mood at a spot game (US is way behind with hooligans), a few daring innovators made the difference for 29" in the US. MTBR has a huge share here, I'm sure. MTBR readers are innovators.
    Last edited by Cloxxki; 12-19-2008 at 06:10 AM.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    In the world of he blind, Cyclops is king.
    In the world of the blind, vision is a decease that needs to be cured, so that it does not interfere with the truly useful senses....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    In Norway 29ers is alle the rage. At least for the people at terrengsykkel.no (mtbr eq).
    It might be because were so tall and all.

But were not members of the EU so maybe were not in Europe, and also Norway is the capitol of Sweden Im told.

Right..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
    Europe is still anti-29er.. Like everything else (fashion, music,movies, and other cool things) they're usually 10 years behind the US. But they're really missing the boat on the 29er fad. Come on Europe, catch up, you've got a few manufacturers I'd love to see building 29ers, but due to lack of demand over there it's not going to happen for a while.

In case you're listening, I'd like to see some more carbon HT 29er's....

Get over it. People ride bikes and enjoy it. It doesn't matter what they ride. I happen to ride a 29er - but it wouldn't be the end of the world if i didn't. In uk On-one and Singular both make nice 29ers anyway. Just because US is 'taken' to the 29er does not mean everyone else should - perhaps European manufacturers are amking bikes that work well in Europe?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

No idea about Europe at large

But in Italy it is starting to gain a bit of popularity. There are a few shops that sell Niners and a few that sell the Felts. So access is not so much the issue it was two or three years ago. I also spoke with the Italian Cannondale rep and he said that they didn't want to import 29ers because they had just not seen the interest.

One of the biggest problems for the folks across the pond is not so much not wanting to ride 29ers but access to tires, forks and rims.

There is the online retailer in Holland, http://www.singlespeed.nl/ , and racewear in Italy, but other than that I don't think there are any readily available parts in Europe. Maybe in Great Britain, but not on the main land. Plus don't forget, every part they buy is at least 20% more here than there.

Crisp Titanium and Zullo frames are the only two custom builders I know of who actually build 29ers on a regular basis for people, I know Germanns in Heidelberg has, but not a normal request.

Then, as I have observed, the whole deal that people above 6 foot don't ride much over here. At 6'2" tall I normally tower over 99% of the starters at most of my races. 26 inch wheels may be more the norm as the riders are, for the most part, a bit shorter.

Jelle, Cloxxki and some of the other Hollanders excluded of course.

Lastly is the aversion to change. Most of the guys I ride with have put lots of Euros into their current bikes. Mostly 5x5 or so all mountain bikes. They don't want to ride a hard tail with big wheels. The Italians and Germans have fully embraced suspension and really don't want to go back. Maybe with Niner getting more of their bikes over here for the Europeans to demo the demand may pick up. Not many people I know can afford and Lenzsport frame.

Just how I see it, having lived and ridden in Italy for two years and Germany the three prior to that. Ed

Totally forgot about On one and Singular in England, sorry, but they are few and far between here. Both make nice bikes that are affordable but neither make a fully to the best of my knowledge.

A Surly Maverick
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
    Europe is still anti-29er.. Like everything else (fashion, music,movies, and other cool things) they're usually 10 years behind the US.
    Fashion? Paris, Milan and NY are the leaders. Music? Rap perhaps, but certainly not in any other category except perhaps Americana. Movies? Laughable, unless you consider Spiderman 3 high art.

But as far as 29ers go, perhaps you are right.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Cassoulet forever !
    In France it's growing slowly.
    Parts are available. Alternative-bicycles.fr does a really great job with Surly and Salsa.
    French parts like mavic c29ssmax, Michelin AT (made in asia), Hutchinson Python & Toro, are available in shop, but mostly on order.
    Cannondale 29 and specialized 29 are since this year available on order without problem. They are on the catalogs.
    Gary fisher is available since 2 years, but Trek is much bigger here.

29" are strong among the singlespeeders. They are now catching for the high end XC racers, especially the road guys that are not so technical on a MTB, and that love the secure feeling.

Next step would be to have one of our French brand work on a model, Lapierre, Commencal, Sunn, we will see who will be the first.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

24-36-48

Germany will come - for sure

In the german speaking countries Germany, Austria and Switzerland there is a small community which is growing bigger [SIZE="4"]and bigger [/SIZE][SIZE="5"]and bigger[/SIZE]. There are two forums like this and that

The point is, that the two leading Mountainbike Magazines still think the 29er are no more than just trekking bikes. We need people racing and winning on 29er bikes but unfortunately even if the UCI allows 29ers on the races the german BDR does not allow them. So for the example, on a World Cup Race in Germany racers woud be allowed to race on 29ers but not on a german cahmpionship that would be organized from BDR. At least you can run a 29er on 24h races or marathons that are not officially organized by the BDR.

I am sure, the 29er movement will come to us with a little delay. The first shops here a getting started with selling 29er bikes like Alpha Bikes or a tire shop called radlreifen. The guy who runs radlreifen is a nice one and selling throughout europe.

I bet, after the season 2009 the peeple over here will rethink the whole thing and even sell NINER bikes here which I think are the best

We will do our very best

President
    EUROPEANS ARE BLOODY IGNORANT AND STUPID.
    It's obvious, they have a smaller brain, so they like smaller things!
    Just compare American an European cars and you will see:

USA:

GREAT!

EUROPE:

RIDICULOUS!
    Not westauwant, westauwant!

mtbr member
    29er awareness it is slowly growing in Germany, I notice that in various classifieds people are now explicitly listing stating that tires/wheels etc are 26" vs 28"/29"/700c. My perception was that MTB wheels/tires/frames were by default 26" around 2003, and you did not have to mention wheel size. Now it is more common to see people differentiate the wheel size, I guess due to more exposure to options. Hell, even 650B is slowly starting to creep into postings on various forums.

But the customs tax is way crazy...

mtbr member
    Yeah, taxes are kinda high, we really need european manufacturers to start pushing big wheel mountain frames, not just hybrids.

Here in Romania most people just buy whatever second hand bike they can afford, not many know about these things. We have a lot of catching up to do, sadly... however the small community of connaisseurs is very innovation oriented, much like mtbr, and 29ers get very curious looks at races, everyone wants to try them out.

And in my group of riders, a decent proportion has 29ers... Kona, Felt, Specialized FSR... I was the first to see the light, started out with a hybrid fitted with 2.1 tyres and rigid carbon fork, now building a ht dillinger, converting the hybrid to a ss monstercross, and hopefully in the next 2 years i'll build up a 5+ stable, all with big wheels, so i can help more friends ride the new wave and see what it's all about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 68point5
    Uhm... are you kidding, aren't you?

If you are talking seriously, your nick must be your IQ. In that case, everything is explained.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Root
    Uhm... are you kidding, aren't you?....
    Ummmm, try reading his profile...he's out of Germany and really thinks a Smart Car is smart

local trails rider
    I hear big cars are not selling too well right now....

edit:
    I am in Northern Europe and have ridden with a few guys who were on 29ers. The bikes were not holding them back. The gear is available, but you probably need to buy stuff online if you want something very specific.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 68point5
    Just compare American an European cars and you will see:

USA:

GREAT!

EUROPE:

RIDICULOUS!

Yes the american cars are bigger, but the germans have no money problems

and teh other great thing are, gernman guys can drive her cars with no limit on the streets and you can drive only very slow ha ha ha,
    and also we need no own bank that we can fill the cars with gasoline

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Utterly rediculous

I bet you think Palin is hot too.

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    ...The gear is available, but you probably need to buy stuff online if you want something very specific.
    I live in Chicago, there's no 29er stuff at the LBS. All of my 29er stuff comes via mail order. Maybe that's one reason 29er are more popular here, we have a really good mail order set-up and no sales tax that promotes us using on-line vendors.

turtles make me hot
    Wait a minute!! Our forefathers worked so hard to throw England out of here and now we're going to share our 29ers with them?? My ancestors are rolling over in their graves as we speak.
    I like turtles

old enough to know better

Obama

I think they're just waiting for Bush to leave. As soon as Obama is inaugurated all the Euros will be riding 29ers.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    we have a really good mail order set-up and no sales tax that promotes us using on-line vendors.
    Oh, I have no difficulties ordering stuff from Germany or UK, or where ever in EU. Works very well. Had to go for a US dealer to get stiffer springs for my Manitou fork... No problems there either.

Recovering couch patato
    BDR must really be a bunch of changophoic morons.

KNWU, after seeing cross bikes in some of our lamest MTB races 2004-2005 or so, tried to do the same. They got a proposal silently through all the required regional colleges, before I heard of it. A few weeks later, the rule was to use at least 40mm wide tires for MTB races, regardless of 26"/29" :-)
    Cross bikes don't fit big tires, and if it's got big tires, it's an MTB, and the KNWU agreed.

For what it's worth, yours truly anticipated the use of cross bikes in MTB races, and it's controvercy. I sent a letter to the responsible at the UCI in 2003, when they had invited Gary Fisher to explain the matter. UCI had been wondering what to do about those 29" bikes on the market, and whether it's not countersportsmanship to ban its owners from races.
    UCI's old rule "wheels no larger than 26 inches in diamter" was faulty to begin with. Using the popular denomination of the wheelsize, rather than the technical one, and turning it into a rule. But not only that, making the rule state it as a maximum size. With the UCI's feeling for logic, it could have flipped the other way, and ended up a minimal wheel size. These bike-ignorant Swisses really are messing up the market with their rules.
    But about the stupid old rule. Measure any 26" bikes tires, as used in XC competition. Show me a wheelset ridden to victory at high level, with less than or exacty 26.00" diameter at the tire. Good luck. They're all bigger, so the "minimum" rule WOULD have made more sense!
    Did I mention how stupid swiss bike government is, and about those Germans? Dutch were just as stupid, but yours truly and some coorperative professionals didn't let them. I was a racer back then, and most certainly not about to buy a 26" to be able to take part in races again.
    The initiator of the 26" ruling reinstatement had omitted to investigate whether any 29" bike owners might be the victim of their love for the true character of the sport.

Right now, in Holland CX bikes are to have <35mm tires, MTB's >40mm.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast