Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wheels for Tallboy - Keep Stock Wheels or Upgrade to Easton Haven Carbon??

5K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Danger Mouth 
#1 · (Edited)
For 3 years I've been riding a Fisher Rig hardtail (built up from SS to 1x9), and am about to enter the world of 29er full suspension with a Tallboy. Stock wheels on the Tallboy model I'm buying (the XTR build) are Mavic TN719 laced to Chubb 15mm front hub and DT Swiss 240s rear hub.

Through a bike industry connection, I think I can get Easton Haven Carbon wheel/hub combos (MSRP $2300) for $1500 to $1600 (30% to 35% off). I can also get a credit for the stock wheels off the price of the Tallboy (though probably only $400-$500 of credit through the local seller). So in all, the upgrade is likely to cost $1000 to $1200.

Would you guys do it? Factoring in my riding type, I'm early 40's and basically a weekend warrior getting in 1 or 2 days riding per week, and preferred terrain is single track coastal hills/forest. I'll never be a racer. Sold my Blur LT to afford this new bike and will probably sell the Fisher Rig as well, so this will be my only bike. Though I'd probably be just fine with the stock Mavic wheels (which Frances in his YouTube MTBR Pro review of the Tallboy says are plenty strong), the lightness and added strength of the carbon wheel is drawing me with its siren's song - I'm unsure though how much more responsive a carbon wheel will be in single track since I've never ridden a carbon wheel.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

See less See more
#2 ·
If the sirens' song was calling me and I had $1K laying around I'd do it. Besides, if you don't like 'em I'm sure you can recoup your cost, plus some, on eBay.

On the other hand, if you are stretching you budget to buy them in hopes of becoming a better rider, then don't do it.

#4 ·
I take it you're getting this bike locally then? If not I think it was Colorado Cyclists were doing them with carbon wheels almost like giving them away nearly with the cost of the build, so something to look into. No matter either way, if you can afford it and really think that they'd make that big a difference to you, then do it. Personally as someone who doesn't race I could see much better places to spend that cash.

No matter what you do, I'd personally not sell the RIG, it'd make an excellent back up bike and also give you another option should things start to get boring/stale - rigid always makes any old trail new, fun and challenging all over again :D

#5 ·
I just upgraded the stock Mavics on my Tallboy as I felt (from day 1)the wheels are the only weakness of the stock XT build. I got Stans Arch/King hubs and I immediately felt the positive difference. :thumbsup: The Havens would be at the least as good if not better given the weight reduction. Go for it, you’re going to need to spend at least $650 on new wheels in 6 – 12 months anyway.

#7 ·
Ive got a pair

and its not about the weight. Until I rode carbon wheels, I didn't know how much my archs and crests were flexing. The havens steer better and don't get deflected as much when I hit something. Its amazing how much more precise the steering is. They make riding more fun.

#11 ·
slip20 said:
and its not about the weight. Until I rode carbon wheels, I didn't know how much my archs and crests were flexing. The havens steer better and don't get deflected as much when I hit something. Its amazing how much more precise the steering is. They make riding more fun.
What is the actual weight of the Havens w/o skewers? I've seen 1550 to 1650 gms :confused:

#16 ·
Nearly everyone that I know that had the money in the first place to buy a Tallboy replaced the TN-719s and saw a huge difference. Look at the applications for the TN-719s and see where they fit in spectrum of cycling. 29er setup is at the extreme end of intended use for those rims. If you have the opportunity to replace with carbon, I would do it. Wheels are the biggest upgrade you can make to your bike outside of the frame..some would argue them being the best. I say do it, and you will be rewarded.

#21 ·
@dam said:
Pretty average. 30 point / 12*.

In reality, that's about as solid as most people will notice, unless they're riding trials or something. It's really diminishing returns after 30-ish, like putting 7 blades on a razor.
I disagree...but probably because I am used to I9 engagement. 12 aint bad though...

#22 · (Edited)
Not as light as I expected. About 26 3/4 pounds. But, it's not weight-weenie- all really solid stuff...full XT 3x10 with 36T cassette...lock on ergon grips...comfy saddle...TALAS fork...Shimano pedals...180mm front rotor...a bit of protective tape...speedometer...Rampage 800 gram front tire. Even those Havens are considered "all mountain" wheels. The Masterpiece seat post is really the only weigh-weenie part on there.

I just put on a lighter, shorter stem though, and have some foam grips on order. Those will save about 150 grams...but then I'm putting 80 back on with some carbon bar ends, and possibly another 75 grams for a skid plate. I'm still looking for some ideas to shed a little weight without sacrificing capability. I'm thinking a Nobby Nic front tire once this one wears out. Maybe a Ti Cassette in a season or two when this one wears out. Ti bolts. Other than that, I'd be looking at big bucks...new cranksset...new fork...things like that, which aren't really worth it.

#23 ·
Hey, greetings to all. I live in NYC and don't get to get out on as many trails as I'd like to but I'm in the market looking for a new bike to replace my old Hardtail MTB (RockHopper Specailzed) and while browsing for bikes I found the Marlin 29er SS. I think this bike looks great, and a SS would be great since I mostly ride on pavement and lil dirt tails/jumps. Can anyone tell me if this bike is worth the $600. Thanks in advance guys!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.