Sweat is just fat crying.

Wheel wants to go one way, the fork the other!

I got a real disconcerting feel from the front end of my Rockhopper the other day- I was coming down a fairly fast slope and about to head into a turn. I applied the brakes, and it felt as though the front end was twisting- feeling like the fork was twisting one direction, and the wheel the other. It was not a good feeling, and it totally threw me off trying to set up for the turn, direction-wise.

Seems like maybe the rotation of the wheel (Specialized Alex rim) was fighting against the fork (Tora) not being stiff enough. I dunno.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

no fat chicks
    quit using the front brake so much
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

ballbuster

Specialized QRs...

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I got a real disconcerting feel from the front end of my Rockhopper the other day- I was coming down a fairly fast slope and about to head into a turn. I applied the brakes, and it felt as though the front end was twisting- feeling like the fork was twisting one direction, and the wheel the other. It was not a good feeling, and it totally threw me off trying to set up for the turn, direction-wise.

Seems like maybe the rotation of the wheel (Specialized Alex rim) was fighting against the fork (Tora) not being stiff enough. I dunno.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    ... are complete krapp, FWIR.

Double check QR tension, maybe put a shimano one on there? Check hub bearing slop, too.

IIRC, Tora is fairly thick steel in the stanchion, so it should be pretty stiff (and heavy).

mtbr member
    Quit using the front brake so much.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    The Rockhopper SS I tested had the same issue. The Alex front wheel/Tora combo was pretty twisty. I put in another wheel and it made quite a difference.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    quit using the front brake so much
    Well then how come everytime I go down a steep, rocky chute, the crowd yells "MORE FRONT BRAKE! MORE FRONT BRAKE!!!"

Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... are complete krapp, FWIR.

Double check QR tension, maybe put a shimano one on there? Check hub bearing slop, too.

IIRC, Tora is fairly thick steel in the stanchion, so it should be pretty stiff (and heavy).
    I'll try a new QR, thanks. Damn, for a cheap bike, it's getting expensive!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    The Rockhopper SS I tested had the same issue. The Alex front wheel/Tora combo was pretty twisty. I put in another wheel and it made quite a difference.
    I am not a fan of 28 spoke wheels, especially 29ers. They are OK until you are in the rocks/ruts/steeps.

Funny that the specs their site says they used a 32hole front hub and a 28hole rim. No wonder it is wonky!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

workin' it Administrator
    double check that the front axle is not broken as well. I had a bike that had a broken axle but it wasn't noticeable during any time but cornering when it was down right scary. Even pulling the qr didn't make me notice the broken axle, only when I looked for it.
    Try this: HTFU

Cars Are Evil
    The QRs that have the cam inside of them do a better job at holding the wheel on compared to the ones with the exposed cam. The stock front QR on my Rig was the external type and I started having problems with it loosening spontaneously during rugged descents. I switched to an old Shimano internal-cam type I had laying around and haven't had a problem since other than it not being a thru-axle and therefore being flexy.

jrm
    mtbr member

Datz Cuz

you're a mmmmaaaadddd mmmaaaannnnnnn. Ive heard that those stout hubs can be altered so that you can run a 9mm RWS thru axle. Have you had the front wheel re tensioned since you bought the bike? that might help.
    Any ideas?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    you're a mmmmaaaadddd mmmaaaannnnnnn. Ive heard that those stout hubs can be altered so that you can run a 9mm RWS thru axle. Have you had the front wheel re tensioned since you bought the bike? that might help.
    Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Why does that picture make me start to salivate?

The wheel's in the shop as we speak- err, type, getting all tensioned up.

I'll see if I can find out about the hub & being able to run a thru axle, thanks.

mtbr member
    Yep, there was an article in 29 inches.com reviewing the Rockhopper 29er. Overall good review except for the flexy wheels. Some 29er forks can be a little flexy too. Maybe relace your wheels with some DT Champion spokes to stiffen them up. If you can run a thru axle or thru bolt it would definitely help too.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '14 Niner ROS9 HT 1x10

Quote Originally Posted by Cujo
    Yep, there was an article in 29 inches.com reviewing the Rockhopper 29er. Overall good review except for the flexy wheels. Some 29er forks can be a little flexy too. Maybe relace your wheels with some DT Champion spokes to stiffen them up. If you can run a thru axle or thru bolt it would definitely help too.
    I did not know about that site, and am checking it out now. Thanks!

mtbr member
    If you're considering a new wheel at all and feel like splurging but not fancy-new-fork splurging, the recent Tora's (09 and later I think) can be converted to a 20mm thru axle fork using Reba lowers.

mtbr member
    This could be a case of a low pressure front tire. Last year I had the same experience where my front wheel and fork felt like they were going in opposite directions. I didn't know what was going on. I though I'd laced my wheels incorrectly or something. It was so frustrating. Much to my surprise my front tire was low on air. After a pumping it back up to 30 psi everything was right as rain. Funny thing is that it happened again last June and it took me about 5 miles to diagnose the problem. Basically, it's such a strange sensation (like your wheel is trying to tuck underneath you) that you don't suspect a low pressure tire. It feels much more catastrophic than a partial flat.

What kind of tires are you using and what pressures do you run. If you run them in the 20's that may be too little for your weight, riding style, or bike set up.

Just a thought.

Cars Are Evil
    Always give your tires a squeeze before every ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    Always give your tires a squeeze before every ride.
    And a hug after each ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone who EVER says use less front brake needs to be slapped.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a twisty wheel... I had the same problem with a "Super-Light" 29er front wheel and a steel rigid fork.

New front wheel solved the problem.

ballbuster

Heh...

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Any ideas?

Thanks.
    [/QUOTE]

Jack be nimble
    Jack be quick
    Jack burned off
    his little d***

- Andrew Dice Clay

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Please tell me you didn't put a gigantic magnet on your front rim.

Fixt.

My buddy Nick built me up a pair of DT Swiss 32-hole wheels w/ Woodman hubs, and now all is peachy keen.

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

Stokeless Asshat
    It took you 5 months? JeezeyG!
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm