mtbr member

Wheel bag needed for 29r

Has anyone found a 29r front wheel bag? Mt new car is a fork mount Thule, and the trunk is tight. I want to put the tired in the back seat and want a better solution than a Hefty bag.

Note- all my 29r's are thru axle, so a wheel holder on the roof is useless.

Thx!!
    What Hill?

mtbr member
    I use a Christmas wreath bag, I got them on sale at Home Depot after Christmas for about dollar. they work great

mtbr member
    I use an industrial size black garbage bag....not as pretty as a wheel bag but keeps the dirt out of my hatch!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mavic Crossmax 29er comes with the right size wheelbag. I see them on Ebay frequently. I bought a pair a few years back for like $20.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

'Calm Down'
    I bought two 29er wheel bags from Bike Pro USA the bike travel case maker. Largest tire I have is a 2.4 Racing Ralph and it fits with a bit of room to spare.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Saw
    Has anyone found a 29r front wheel bag? Mt new car is a fork mount Thule, and the trunk is tight. I want to put the tired in the back seat and want a better solution than a Hefty bag.

Note- all my 29r's are thru axle, so a wheel holder on the roof is useless.

Thx!!
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member

Bike Pro USA Bag Too Small

I've been looking for a 29er bag for more than a year, and when I saw this thread last week, ordered one right away from Bike Pro USA. The bag arrived today, and my wheel doesn't fit. It's a Stan's Arch with a WTB Exiwolf tire. I've e-mailed Bike Pro to see if they can make a larger bag for the 29er set. We'll see what they say...
    'Bones

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Mavic Crossmax 29er comes with the right size wheelbag. I see them on Ebay frequently. I bought a pair a few years back for like $20.
    I see Mavic Crossmax wheel bags on eBay but they usually say for 26" wheels. They are a square shaped bag with measurements of 32"x32.5". Do you think these are the ones you have that will fit a 29" wheel? Thanks.

mtbr member
    i've got some mavic padded ksyrium wheel bags that i store my extra 29" wheels in they are for 700c road wheels but if you let the air outta your tire they will fit fine

mtbr member

Bike Pro USA Follow-up

Got my answer from Bike Pro. You must order their unpadded wheel bag for the 29er wheel to fit. This makes sense because the padding is quite thick, and takes up a lot of the available space. The padding is sewn in, so it's there to stay. Their bag measures 29 1/2 inches, and so does my wheel/tire combination, so I wouldn't turn down an extra half inch in size (who would, eh?), but I suppose it would fit without the padding in the way. I can almost get my wheel in the padded bag, but there's no way I'd ever get it zipped shut. So, Bike Pro IS a viable possibility. And, I forgot to mention that the bag construction and quality is top notch. They make a really nice product - highly recommended. Just make sure you order the right configuration.
    'Bones

'Calm Down'
    Hmmm, mine are the unpadded version and at the time they offered two sizes. The larger of course being meant for 29er wheels, had to specify at the time I ordered. And as I said, I can fit the largest tires I own in the bag and still zip it closed.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenBones
    Got my answer from Bike Pro. You must order their unpadded wheel bag for the 29er wheel to fit. This makes sense because the padding is quite thick, and takes up a lot of the available space. The padding is sewn in, so it's there to stay. Their bag measures 29 1/2 inches, and so does my wheel/tire combination, so I wouldn't turn down an extra half inch in size (who would, eh?), but I suppose it would fit without the padding in the way. I can almost get my wheel in the padded bag, but there's no way I'd ever get it zipped shut. So, Bike Pro IS a viable possibility. And, I forgot to mention that the bag construction and quality is top notch. They make a really nice product - highly recommended. Just make sure you order the right configuration.
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    I needed one for exactly the same reason as you. Got one of these;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...&ModelID=33405

No padding, but zips up and keeps the dirt in. (Flow 29er + 2.3")

XC racer
    May 2005
    The Mavic Crossmax bags fit my 29er wheel with Rocket Ron mounted. Lucked out picking up a sample one from the Mavic rep who happened to be at an event at our sponsor shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

possible option

I am trying to research this right now..check out american classic or http://www.wheel-riders.com the terrapin might work. I am waiting on a reply..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by truehiker
    I am trying to research this right now..check out american classic or http://www.wheel-riders.com the terrapin might work. I am waiting on a reply..
    I ended up buying a pair of the square Mavic bags on eBay, and they fit a 29r wheel perfectly. Just be sure to get the 32" x 33" size as the smaller bags look similar but will not fit.

I think these are the ones I got: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MAVIC-CROSSM...#ht_500wt_1413