Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    29ers will survive simply because there is a significant difference in how they roll.

I test rode some new 27.5 bikes recently and just couldn't feel any differences from my FS26er.

Rode the new 2013 Kona Satori and with 5 pedal rotations knew I'd buy it. Now that I have about 3 months on it, I can honestly say...it feels very much like my Giant Reign, but rolls so much better. The slack HA/short chain stays, shorty stem works very well for my rocky loose San Diego trails. Haven't touched the Reign since.
    It wasn't me

dwt
    mtbr member

What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

Quote Originally Posted by Howeler View Post

I test rode some new 27.5 bikes recently and just couldn't feel any differences from my FS26er.
    Weird response. It should either have felt slightly heavier and less nimble, or rolled and cornered slightly better - assuming you we're paying attention. Feeling nothing is illogical, captain

More relevant to this thread is how heavy, flexy and clunky 29'er is compared to 650b
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Giant always plays to the masses. They make their profit on trying to get the most people on one bike. They were pioneers in offering only 4 road bike sizes. They are trying to do the same with mountain tires. Find the middle ground, make more money.
    Other companies will continue to care what bike nerds want.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Weird response. It should either have felt slightly heavier and less nimble, or rolled and cornered slightly better - assuming you we're paying attention. Feeling nothing is illogical, captain

What I did notice was the lighter weight compared to my fat Reign. Really no huge difference in handling... not enough to make me want to buy one. (think too much cross over). Only been riding mtn bikes for 25 years or so.

More relevant to this thread is how heavy, flexy and clunky 29'er is compared to 650b
    The Satori is in no way flexy or clunky, it does weight the same as my Reign.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member

Re: What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post

Be careful. Do not forget, this is a 29er forum...

mtbr member
    In agreement with one article I read on the subject, I think this all boils down to Giant being increasingly outpaced in the 29er market by better handling bikes, and the frame limitations of the maestro susp.

On the subject of 27.5 - if you prefer 26ers for their handling, you should try a 650b, at least on the front. It's an incremental but noticeable change, without much downside, if any. If you love your 29er and think it handles perfect, then don't bother with 27.5, you'll be completely underwhelmed. It's all personal preference... as usual.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    650b will [...] probably out sale them in 1-2 years.
    Putting aside the small-minded and racist(?) "reasons," I'm calling complete BS on this prediction and just plugged in a reminder to dig this thread up to call you in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member

Re: What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Putting aside the small-minded and racist(?) "reasons," I'm calling complete BS on this prediction and just plugged in a reminder to dig this thread up to call you in it.
    Haha. I wouldn't expect anything less.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I should probably stop writing on this forum, as I am really bias, but why cannot all wheel sizes continue to be produced? Just because 26" is now the minority, why does that mean that the 650b (almost exactly like a 26" but worse), can take over.
    It would be like this in the real world: Now that whites are the minority in America, why do English speaking whites have to learn Spanish?
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Be careful. Do not forget, this is a 29er forum...
    Oops.

Anybody want to buy a nearly mint TBc with some light Crest rim/Hope hub wheels?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I should probably stop writing on this forum, as I am really bias, but why cannot all wheel sizes continue to be produced? Just because 26" is now the minority, why does that mean that the 650b (almost exactly like a 26" but worse), can take over.
    It would be like this in the real world: Now that whites are the minority in America, why do English speaking whites have to learn Spanish?

Yes, you should stop posting yesterday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
    Santa Cruz will be buying Giant?
    Have you any clue how big Giant is? Their name alone should be a clue.

Tim
    I know...There's a thread on the Diamondback Over Drive that needs another post, too...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    I know...There's a thread on the Diamondback Over Drive that needs another post, too...
    Sorry for being a smart arse with my prior post. In my original post I was trying to say something that would be similar in ultra-hype as the Giant claims...On a more serious note I don't view what Giant is doing as very risky at all. They make tons of bikes wholesale for everyone, they don't seem to have the store concept like S &Trek so there probably more likely to be going head to head on the showroom floor with smaller companies who are selling out 27.5"...There's probably more pressure or at least Giant may perceive more pressure to respond.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE=d365;10573353]In agreement with one article I read on the subject, I think this all boils down to Giant being increasingly outpaced in the 29er market by better handling bikes, and the frame limitations of the maestro susp.

QUOTE]

Without taking this thread in a completely different direction can i just add that MBR Magazine in the UK gave 5 out of 5 to the Giant Trance X29er in both 2 and 0 spec.

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005
    Giant can choose to "go away" & stay away for all I care.
    Corporate late-comers looking towards some new profit-driven niche.

But so-called 29ers aren't going to disappear.
    With the exception of highly specific equipment, fundamentally: 700C is everywhere (road, touring, etc.).

Even if rim & tire manus all disappeared tomorrow, there are enough tough components out there that can be adapted to the job for most people's needs:
    I have 700C Mavic 36H on XTs that have been going strong for 5 years. And Bruce Gordon only just re-launched the old Rock & Road tire in response to the "gravel grinder" thing.

So I don't see any slow-down.
    And no future lack of components that would do the job for most people.

Hell, if 29er is pronounced dead, just stock up when QBP empties its shelves & you're set for life.

29er came from nowhere & was kickstarted by people who committed to buy small batches of the necessary equipment. That approach could now be repeated infinitely easier by a small group of 29er diehards.

Giant? Ciao.

mtbr member

I don't get the Giant hate?

Are people afraid that if Giant goes in a different direction, their beloved 29" bikes will all rot and disappear? Really, that is not going to happen. If 27.5" is Giant's business decision, than that is "their" decision. Frankly, I'm going to miss my 26" bikes but I never ranted because Niner decided not to build them. That was their business decision. Nor am I going to rant if the world turns to 27.5" bikes. Sh!t people, its the "ride" not the "ride" as has been said enough times by people more qualified to say such things than me. Adios! I'm heading to the shore and turning into a roadie and riding my 29" (700cc) bike for the next month 'cause there ain't no mountains or even respectable hills where I'll be. It will be interesting to see if this thread is still alive when I get back. I said earlier that I was interested in one 29" bike to replace my two 26" so I don't want them to go away either but if they do, they do, and I'll still have fun riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Easy to hate, and especially easy not to read

That said, if the market progresses the way we believe it will, 29-inch will be phased out in approximately two years....again, totally dependent on market feedback."
    Like Giant will kill (our) beloved 29er wheels against our will in a free market. And their job is to make money, and they will push the 27.5 to bankruptcy. Right.

They will produce 29er bikes as long as there is a market for them, those 29er molds and tubes will not go away anywhere.

AZ
    banned
    The greatest free bike ad campaign ever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If you read between the lines of their write up; Giant only said that they will be putting most of their focus and R&D development into the 27.5er size for most of their lineup. That means that they will pretty much stop all further development in the 26er size. That also means that they will not put much effort into developing the 29er size any further for now.

This is most likely their business plan for the next 1 or 2 years. If things change in the market, they will certainly re-evaluate their business strategy.

This does not by any means say that they will be completely abandoning their 29er product lines and all the profits associated with them. It only means that they will not be further developing these products for now.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    The greatest free bike ad campaign ever.
    Guerrilla marketing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    [QUOTE=Andrewfuzzy;10575062]
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    In agreement with one article I read on the subject, I think this all boils down to Giant being increasingly outpaced in the 29er market by better handling bikes, and the frame limitations of the maestro susp.

QUOTE]

Without taking this thread in a completely different direction can i just add that MBR Magazine in the UK gave 5 out of 5 to the Giant Trance X29er in both 2 and 0 spec.
    And What Mountain Bike gave high marks to the Anthem x 29er 1 for Trail Bike of the Year for 2013.

Tim

Trail Ninja
    Aren't Europe and Asia Giant's biggest markets? I know Europe is Shimano's biggest market, and 29ers really haven't taken off there yet, compared to North America.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    As long as 700c exists - 29er will be around too.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I know Europe is Shimano's biggest market, and 29ers really haven't taken off there yet, compared to North America.
    "Compared to N. America" is at once the operative phrase and sort of silly. The EU and US are two different places and equating them in terms of consumer markets is meaningless.
    That said, 29ers have taken off in Europe in the past couple if years, much more quickly than they did in the US, time-wise.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Giant 27.5 coming to a Walmart near you

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast