Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Look at the MTBR Threads. 650B is always 1/3 of primary 29er forum volume... And that doesn't include the 29er parts/components forum.

650 group size has not increased in months.

mtbr member
    29ers are selling really well, 26 is okay and 650b has a lot of interest but not enough geometries to satisfy all the riders on the market yet. 26 may very well dwindle off but for many cross country racers the 29er will still be faster and smoother and people will want that for years to come. 29er won't be going away anytime soon.

transmitter~receiver

What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Kudos to the Giant marketing folks for getting a boatload of free publicity by making silly comments!
    Ding ding ding!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Look at the MTBR Threads. 650B is always 1/3 of primary 29er forum volume... And that doesn't include the 29er parts/components forum.

650 group size has not increased in months.
    You fail to take into account that the wheel sizes are at two separate places in time. Its not like 29ers were just starting a mainstream push last season.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For bikes up to 140 or 150 mm travel, I sometimes think the L and XL sizes should be 29ers, and the S and M sizes should be 650B.

Question: Did you marketing guys have to read "Syrup" by Max Barry? Most hilarious send-up of marketing ever!

(I thought it was about time to derail this thread.)
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    not seeing them on the trails or in shops. I can walk into our shop(and others) and see them and i have seen a bunch in the trails already here in Maine.
    The problem is you can't tell the difference between a 26" and 27" on the trail or in a bike shop considering the meager 25mm difference. I literally have to read the sidewall to tell what the size is.

mtbr member
    650b is not a new technology.

I was describing an observation in forum activity. The 650b group did not spike post Downieville marketing blitz and has remained flat. I wish I had recorded and graphed it. Considering this community I believe its a major indicator.

That said I would ride a 650 in some isolated situations but it will never be my everyday AM bike. For ref I ride in Southern Cal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    For bikes up to 140 or 150 mm travel, I sometimes think the L and XL sizes should be 29ers, and the S and M sizes should be 650B.

Question: Did you marketing guys have to read "Syrup" by Max Barry? Most hilarious send-up of marketing ever!

(I thought it was about time to derail this thread.)
    Julianna (SC womens) made their XS 26" and SM 27.5" for some models

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    You fail to take into account that the wheel sizes are at two separate places in time. Its not like 29ers were just starting a mainstream push last season.
    IDK, I seem to remember very shortly after 29ers started breaking ground, within a year the 650s were there as well, in addition to the 69ers/96ers. I'd say 650 has been around almost as long as 29, it just never took off until there was a 29er dominated market.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    IDK, I seem to remember very shortly after 29ers started breaking ground, within a year the 650s were there as well, in addition to the 69ers/96ers. I'd say 650 has been around almost as long as 29, it just never took off until there was a 29er dominated market.
    It still hasn't taken off.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Its not like 29ers were just starting a mainstream push last season.
    Neither was 650b.
    More than a handful of companies have taken a swing at the whole "all in on the new idea" old ass trick since, what, about 2008? Jamis, Haro... now Giant.
    Meh... old ass tricks.
    Get on some NEW s**t!

mtbr member

No, not worst than that......

I did say I was old. Old enough to know enough not to ride something like that. Tight twisty singletrack is plenty for me at this stage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    giant is desparate. they have no ideas and they'd rather try and compete with the little companies who are taking the first leap in 27.5" than lose their arses with their lame 29" models v. S and Trek. In a couple years Santa Cruz will be buying Giant.
    Santa Cruz will be buying Giant?
    Have you any clue how big Giant is? Their name alone should be a clue.

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Kudos to the Giant marketing folks for getting a boatload of free publicity by making silly comments!

-Walt
    Probably the most silly...Patrick gets the award.

Patrick VanHorn went on to say that extensive testing and prototyping demonstrated that Giantís 27.5-inch models combine the best attributes of both the 26-inch and 29-inch wheel sizes without any of the disadvantages. ďSo what you get is better handling and better control from a lighter weight bike that still rolls over obstacles as well as a 29er he said.

False. Thanks for playing.

mtbr member
    Me too. Under a rock for many things myself that is, especially advances in mountain bikes. I guess you can always watch "Mad Men" to get an idea of marketing in the fifties.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2010 i got back in to mtb and bought a Specialized Stumpy FSR there were no 29ers anywhere over here (UK)....roll forward to beginning of last year, and 29ers seemed to be catching on with the odd LBS model sat in a lineup of 26ers, roll on to end of last year and one shop has mostly 29ers and some 650Bs.....i think its taken time for 29ers to catch on and gain some momentum.....i now own two 29ers and would happily buy another two over the current wheel size choices, my Stumpy hasnt been ridden since i bought them.

I think that the markets just starting to really find its feet with 29ers take the Scotts,Treks and Santacruzs 130/135 travel and the USA based 155 travel Specialized with the super short chainstays, components such as strong and light wheelsets too eg Mavics are only 120gms different between 26 and 29 (Crossmax ST)......i still feel that 26" will become a bit more niche and 27.5 and 29 will become the dominant sizes.

Obviously there will be so many 26ers out there that the components will keep them alive for years to come!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It is pretty clear that the market has moved completely away from 26. Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, and Giant won't be producing 26" wheeled bikes at the premium end of the trail and XC market in 24 months. There is just not enough demand. They all see this. Giant focusing on 27.5 is anticipatory, and might be a great move. I don't think it will be, but you never know. At least they are hedging and keeping 29ers around. All of those out there who don't like 29" as a concept, or didn't think it was cool, or didn't like it in application can basically now get a 26er that is a little bit better as far as rollover, but have a "cool" new wheel size that allows them to still say they didn't go 29er. I think they sell pretty well, but 29er stays dominant in trail and XC. I think for most the 29er will be a better solution, but the market doesn't always pick the better option.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    and is probably editorial input from Pinkbike who are anti 29" zealots.
    This is far from the mark. ~5 years ago, maybe. Many of their readers/posters are, but not the staff.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    The statement is off-the-wall ridiculous... almost as ridiculous as taking anything on Pinkbike seriously.
    Actually, I think their front-page editorial content is much better than that here. Much better industry and trade show coverage, for one thing. And they have the best DH/Enduro race coverage on the web. It's their comment threads and forums where your brain goes to die. When I get burnt out on the threads here, I go over there for a while and it reminds me why I was here in the first place.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm well aware how long 650B has been around for (since, like, ever) and 29ers, and my point was, 29ers have had that "cult following" for what like 10 years now? And they've become super super mainstream in the past 3 years or so.

650B has always been around, but seriously how many 650B tires existed before Pacenti started getting involved (relatively) recently?

In terms of mainstream appeal, 650B got started with the hype wagon like a good 8 years after 29ers. The only reason we're seeing such a massive push in such a relatively shorter time frame compared to how long it took the 29er to get mainstream appeal, is that no company wants to miss the cash boat like a lot of them did with 29".
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The 29er won't die. It's so woven into the fabric of nearly all XC Racing, amateur and pro.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    So was the 26er, 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    The 29er won't die. It's so woven into the fabric of nearly all XC Racing, amateur and pro.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    So was the 26er, 10 years ago.
    Yes, but I cannot see 650b as "the optimal wheel size." Over a 26" wheel - 650b feels like a 26er on....weak coffee. A 29er feels significantly different in all aspects over 26."
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick VanHorn
    Giantís 27.5-inch models combine the best attributes of both the 26-inch and 29-inch wheel sizes without any of the disadvantages.
    It's MAGICAL!!

mtbr member

Re: What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

650b will certainly take away sales from 29er.
    Diehard 29ers will continue buying them, but 650b will eventually catch up with 29 sales # and probably out sale them in 1-2 years. Here are the reasons:

-26er riders will have to go to 650b willingly or unwillingly.

-New riders will most likely pick 650b over 29. (it is a "new" thing after all and lot of stores will steer them towards it)

-most of the Asian market will buy 650b for the obvious reason...

-lot of current 29er riders will go to 650b (including me) for various reasons - not entirely comfortable on 29, seeking lighter, more agile, stiffer bike, just to mention few.

-most of the women can be better fitted on 650b

-lot of bike manufacturers will have to pick just one wheel size for economical reasons, and I believe most will pick 650b

So there you have it. There will be fewer 29 choices in the future. They will not go away, there will still be a lot of 29" lovers, just the selection will be limited.
    Last edited by jazzanova; 08-21-2014 at 09:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HSracer View Post
    I read this in another thread and am wondering what you guys think.

Anyways here's what Giant is saying about wheel sizes
    "Can we expect to see 29 and 26-inch wheels eventually disappear in Giant's consumer-priced bikes in the near future?

∑ 26-inch for sure, but 29-inch will be dependent on market feedback. That said, if the market progresses the way we believe it will, 29-inch will be phased out in approximately two years....again, totally dependent on market feedback."

Taken from - 650B For Giant's 2014 Elite-Level Mountain Bikes - Pinkbike

As someone who has been looking into 29ers for my next XC race bike this is a bit troublesome. I know they're just talking about the Giant line but I would guess that other bike makers have the same thought process.
    Will never happen. 29ers are here to stay

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast