Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 451 to 466 of 466
  1. #451
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3
    Give it a few years and I'm guessing that 26" wheels will make a comeback. I'm on a Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc 29er and I love how it just rolls over everything. I demo'd quite a few 650b's before deciding on the Tallboy and just liked how it rode better. Plus I think it carried speed better on little rolling trails. But I'm also 6'2" so maybe I'm more comfortable on a 29er than someone who is 5'8".

  2. #452
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,884

    What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

    Quote Originally Posted by EncinitasRider View Post
    Give it a few years and I'm guessing that 26" wheels will make a comeback.
    lol
    along with rim brakes and friction shifters, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  3. #453
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    lol
    along with rim brakes and friction shifters, right?
    What's wrong with rim brakes? Oh wait, this isn't a forum for roadies! Someone in marketing will decide that 26ers were just "more playful" and "more flickable" and bring 'em back. It will happen...but this time with electronic shifting and electronic suspension!

  4. #454
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,884

    What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

    Quote Originally Posted by EncinitasRider View Post
    What's wrong with rim brakes? Oh wait, this isn't a forum for roadies! Someone in marketing will decide that 26ers were just "more playful" and "more flickable" and bring 'em back. It will happen...but this time with electronic shifting and electronic suspension!
    Nothing wrong with rim brakes.
    Not a bad attempt on the marketing idea, but far flung.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  5. #455
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,585

    Re: What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

    Quote Originally Posted by EncinitasRider View Post
    What's wrong with rim brakes? Oh wait, this isn't a forum for roadies! Someone in marketing will decide that 26ers were just "more playful" and "more flickable" and bring 'em back. It will happen...but this time with electronic shifting and electronic suspension!
    26" will never again have the glory it once had. No marketing will bring it back in any significant force.
    27.5 is simply better for general population riding general trails.
    Last edited by jazzanova; 09-09-2014 at 03:59 PM.

  6. #456
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169

    What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Nothing wrong with rim brakes.
    Except on mountain bikes circa 1990 they didn't work reliably or effectively in technical terrain and mud. Not enough stopping power. Then V-brakes came along, an improved rim brake that had stopping power but poor modulation. Finally disc brakes solved bothy stopping and modulating and rim brakes are history unless you have, as I do, an old frame with no disc tabs.

    The question now is can disc brakes enter the road bike world? They would fix the problem of rim brake pads not working well on carbon rims, and mud and muck in cyclocross. But then the weight issue. Log into Road Bike Review forums and see the debate


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  7. #457
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,884

    What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Except on mountain bikes circa 1990 they didn't work reliably or effectively in technical terrain and mud. Not enough stopping power. Then V-brakes came along, an improved rim brake that had stopping power but poor modulation. Finally disc brakes solved bothy stopping and modulating and rim brakes are history unless you have, as I do, an old frame with no disc tabs.

    The question now is can disc brakes enter the road bike world? They would fix the problem of rim brake pads not working well on carbon rims, and mud and muck in cyclocross. But then the weight issue. Log into Road Bike Review forums and see the debate


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wel... I wasn't gonna say it, but you did an admirable job.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  8. #458
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169

    What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    26" will never again have the glory it once had. No marketing will bring it back in any significant force.
    This is true IMO, and the recurring lame attempts at humor in making this claim weren't funny last year and are much less funny now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  9. #459
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,017

    What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Nothing wrong with rim brakes.
    Except that they suck donkey balls compared to disk brakes (and light, wide rims that disk brakes make possible).

  10. #460
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,017

    What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    26" will never again have the glory it once had. No marketing will bring it back in any significant force.
    27.5 is simply better for general population riding general trails.
    26 will be delegated to jump bikes, fat bikes and size XS trail bikes and size S long travel bikes and that would be perfect.

  11. #461
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    The question now is can disc brakes enter the road bike world? They would fix the problem of rim brake pads not working well on carbon rims, and mud and muck in cyclocross. But then the weight issue. Log into Road Bike Review forums and see the debate
    What's wrong with rim brakes... I just did a 26 mile race on very muddy trails hitting a sustained 34+mph on the downhills (on my 26er!) and had absolutely no stopping issues. This is with ceramic surface rims... They honestly stopped just as well as my disc brakes (formula R1's with organic pads). You can build a lighter wheel with rim brakes and they are easier to maintain.
    Killing it with close inspection.

  12. #462
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,884

    What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    What's wrong with rim brakes... I just did a 26 mile race on very muddy trails hitting a sustained 34+mph on the downhills (on my 26er!) and had absolutely no stopping issues. This is with ceramic surface rims... They honestly stopped just as well as my disc brakes (formula R1's with organic pads). You can build a lighter wheel with rim brakes and they are easier to maintain.
    Whatever, dood.
    If that was the case they would still be even remotely common.
    Disc brakes come on $149 bikes at WalMart.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  13. #463
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169

    What's happening with the 29er market!? So confused

    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    What's wrong with rim brakes... I just did a 26 mile race on very muddy trails hitting a sustained 34+mph on the downhills (on my 26er!) and had absolutely no stopping issues. This is with ceramic surface rims... They honestly stopped just as well as my disc brakes (formula R1's with organic pads). You can build a lighter wheel with rim brakes and they are easier to maintain.
    That's just great, old timer. There's a retro/vintage forum here. Side pull rim brakes fall into that category at this point in time. The question is whether 26'ers will, and when?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  14. #464
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    That's just great, old timer. There's a retro/vintage forum here.
    Ouch!

    I know rim brakes are dead but I was just pointing out that they were/are not as bad as some people believe. It seems like they would make more sense for road bikes. I will also say 26ers are as good as dead. 650b is too close in size and I can't see the already congested bike market supporting both. 29ers are obviously not going away anytime soon. Just my $.02
    Killing it with close inspection.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Similar Threads

  1. In the market for a 29er
    By knuckledonkey in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 05:19 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 08:59 PM
  3. In the market for a new 29er
    By Shane64 in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 02:29 PM
  4. Totally Confused - which Specialized 29er?
    By wyattsvar in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •