Rohloff

What's a good alternative to a Stan's Flow?

First off, I really like my Stan's Flow rims, and I'm not one to think that eyelets are totally necessary, BUT I have noticed that the nipples like to come straight out of the rim and not angle a bit so that it's paralel to the spoke. You can see the spoke angle towards the rim and then make a slight bend into the nipple. I noticed this when I got the wheel but waited to see if it would be a problem. FWIW, I'm a big guy, riding rough terrain, on a full suspension bike, with a Rohloff hub. I've ridden the heck out of the wheel for two years without any problems until today. I had a spoke break right at the nipple.

I'm not criticizing Stan's rims at all. I highly recommend them. I'm reluctant to get any other rim because I've had such good luck going tubeless with them. I just want to have a 100% rock solid rim, that's light weight, and very tubeless friendly. Any suggestions?

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    For tubeless use, I've not seen any other options that work as well. It's just one spoke. These things happen.

Former Bike Wrench
    According to Velocity, the P35 was designed to be tubeless friendly...but of course, is not eyeleted either

mtbr member
    for 2010 Sun Ringle has new 29er wheelsets coming out. Eyeleted With a Stans Notubes Bead, they have manufactured the Stans rims since the beginning but have just licensed the Tech for 2010.

they will have tons of options i only have pics of the few but thy will be offered in the pro version with straight pull spokes and the Comp version with standard hubs and J-Bend spokes. the pro versions will come with endcaps for 9mm qr 15mm and 20mm TA in the box. and they will come out of the box with yellow tape and valve stems pre installed.

they will also come in several widths.

ScreenHunter_05 Mar. 23 15.35

ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 23 15.33

come to think of it im gonna start a new thread
    Last edited by the locust; 03-23-2010 at 02:21 PM.

I <3 NM
    I'm rocking Bonty Duster rims, Hope Pro II hubs* with ExiWolfs and lovin' life.

A solid t00bless set up fo' shizzle. They've stayed true since last Jan.

*Wheels built by mikesee (www.lacemine29.com)
    Last edited by MTBNate; 03-23-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures
    For tubeless use, I've not seen any other options that work as well. It's just one spoke. These things happen.
    I hear you. Yea, just one spoke. Maybe I should give her another chance. I've just got a wondering eye. I'm not ready to break up just yet.

Rohloff
    Now that's what I'm talking about. I want to have my cake and eat it, too. 29er life keeps getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by the locust
    for 2010 Sun Ringle has new 29er wheelsets coming out. Eyeleted With a Stans Notubes Bead, they have manufactured the Stans rims since the beginning but have just licensed the Tech for 2010.

they will have tons of options i only have pics of the few but thy will be offered in the pro version with straight pull spokes and the Expert version with standard hubs and J-Bend spokes. the pro versions will come with endcaps for 9mm qr 15mm and 20mm TA in the box. and they will come out of the box with yellow tape and valve stems pre installed.

they will also come in several widths.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I've been running Blunt's with a split tube for a while now and have enjoyed burp free riding. I think I'll always use this method of tubeless conversion because it has been so trouble free. It also keeps the amonia from the sealant away from the rim. I have ridden them at 220lbs plus gear. I'm about to build another set because I have been so happy with the tubeless result. FWIW I use Nanoraptor tyres with a folding bead.

Good luck deciding.

mtbr member
    i'm 220 riding a 29er since 2007. started with salsa's DD, after a year and a half i taco-ed the front wheel at the seam on a 1 foot drop. replaced it with flows and for a 1.5 years no problem, true as can be and feel rock solid. six months ago i decided to finally replaced my rear salsa DD (after 2.5 years) with bonty's duster (flows were out of stock and i have a 20% discount on bonty stuff). worked okay but needed re truing a couple of times. last week i went in to the bike shop and they said i had to replace the rim. now i'm dumping the rear duster for flows all around. both the duster and flow are 28 mm i think and the duster has the reputation of being a good rim, but i go with what works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Rigida make a number of rims where the hipple seats are angularly drilled. This is especially useful when riding hubs with larger diameter bodies. The spoke is not forced to bend because of the acute angle at the nipple join. The "Andra 30" rim is a really good rim for the Rohloff and will not cause problems here.

Stay away from Mavic rims though. In a hectic attempt to save weight they are now producing the things with much smaller eyelets which is reducing the angular play for the nipple. It is near impossible to lace large flange hubs into the new generation of mavic rims without getting a slight bend at the nipple+spoke join.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The Bontrager Duster is similar in weight and width to the flow. The TLR rim and strip is a great setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Good for Sun-Ringle, a those weights they might beat stans and I9 out, minus the 7000 series wheelset.

MTB B'dos
    Well I was all prepared to say there isn't really anything, but I guess I was wrong. Yes the Bonti are nice, but........ Looking on Suns site those weights look impressive, curious what price they'll be going for.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Bite Me.
    24 spokes - no thanks.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    You're a big guy who rides hard, and you've only broken one spoke. I don't see the issue. Fix the thing and keep riding.

Bike parts are not indestructible. If you ride them hard they'll break eventually. Two years and one problem is pretty good
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs