mtbr member

Whats faster Fr3 vs Ardent

My question is if anyone has ridden both the FR3 which I have 2 of or the Ardent 2.4 exo?
    Playing with theories and have way to much free time at work.These would be on the front of a rigid.Race bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I guess I will chime in if no one else will. I just put an fr3 on front where I had the ardent before. I put the ardent in back. Neither one seems remotely like a race tire, but if I had to choose I would take the ardent only because you are running rigid and the ardent is noticeably fatter giving you some suspension even though you don't want it. The ardent on the back of my hardtail feels close to rear suspension and compared to everything else I have run I can go faster through the rough stuff.

Rolling resistance didn't seem to be different, but putting the ardent in the back made me realize it is not a fast roller compared to most 29er tires, it felt bad on the road but on dirt it isn't a big deal. Running the fr3 as a back tire on my 26er gave me the opinion it isn't fast either, just better than a slow tire. Some people think they are fast.

The fr3 is heavier but it would be worth it if it gets better traction in your area. I think both are great in my area which is dry, loose, hard and rocky. The ardent is not great at trail braking in the front, but that is an uncommon occurrence anyway. I have never tried a racing Ralph but that sounds like what you need, or maybe a 2.2 ardent, which is as fat as the fr3 and faster and lighter.

banned
    I have used both also. To be honest I think the FR3 is one of the worst tires I have ever used. Seems to break free front and back under hard cornering. The only time it does not slip on me is in a perfect straight line. I now have the Ardents on 2 different bikes and love them, but would not consider them a race tire unless you are racing in some serious chunk. I did use them in one race this year where there were a ton of rocks and DH and they did great for those conditions.

turtles make me hot
    I ran Ardents front and back and FR3s front and back. I loved the Ardents, but didn't care for the FR3's. I thought the Bontrager tire would roll better with that prominent center bead. I ended up using it on the front only and it worked fine as a front tire. UNTIL... I swapped to a Psycho Genius. Now I'm very happy.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The round carcass of the ardent let's it roll amazingly well for a knobby 2.4 tire with great traction. The fr3's broke loose once too many times while cornering.....they are collecting dust

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    FR3 works great in very specific conditions, out side of that it's hateful don't go near the sucker IMHO.

Ardent 2.4 on the front I found very slow and vague.

In 26er land I'm running Bonty XR4's and there fantastic do it all tire, fast rolling and loads of grip and working great in mud to.

JB
    I have both and find them to be very similar. The FR3 is a bit heavier, and stouter casing, and tighter fitting to the rim. The FR3 rolls well for a big tire due to the center treadline. The Ardent is a bit larger volume, and maybe better suited for XC/HT use.