mtbr member
    Jul 2014

whats best tire pressure to ride singletrack???

I'm just getting back into riding and was wondering what the best tire pressure to keep your tires at is?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by newbeee View Post
    I'm just getting back into riding and was wondering what the best tire pressure to keep your tires at is?
    What's your weight?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    245 6'4

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    i have a 2012 trek xcaliber i just bought with bontrager tires which say 30 to 50

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I didn't ask the question, but I am curious. My weight is 175.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It depends on your terrain. You can drop psi until you get rim hits going over rocks or tire rollover in the turns. Usually the rear is 5 psi or so more than the front. At 175 you may be able to go 20/25. For 245 start at 30/35. You have a dual air fork. Vary the positive and negative pressure to tune it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumbercanin View Post
    I didn't ask the question, but I am curious. My weight is 175.
    What is your tire width, are you running tubeless, do you run lightweight tires or UST tires with beefier sidewalls, what type of terrain(ie. is it rocky, smooth, loamy, gravelly, dry or wet?) these are all factors in choosing the right tire pressure, those as well as your full riding weight (weight plus pack plus bike weight),also what wheel size 29er or 26er. I weigh 215 pounds with my Camelback fully loaded and my 29er bike with 2.25" tires weighs 28lbs. I generally run between 24 to 30psi up front depending on terrain and 26 to 32psi in the rear tire. For smooth/dry/gravelly singletrack I run 26psi in the front tire and 28 in the rear. For rocky terrain I run more. You lighter guys could get away with less, but it takes experimentation, especially with all the differences in tires, there is no right/wrong that fits every rider, just bring a pump with a guage, and experiment, but with most tubeless setups, I start at 30 psi and add or drop depending on how it feels, if I'm sliding and losing traction I will drop a few psi.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Gotta tune it, but once you ride offcamber downhill on roots with lowest psi you will get the bug and spend 5 minutes before every ride.. Obsession.

dwt
    mtbr member

For tubeless, Stan's formula for ZTR rims works for me universally:

Rider Weight in pounds divided by 7 = x

x - 1 = Front tire pressure in PSI
    x + 2 = Rear tire pressure in PSI
    Example: 185lb rider
    185/7 = 26.4
    Front tire pressure: 26 - 1 = 25 PSI
    Rear tire pressure: 26 + 2 = 28 PSI

http://www.notubes.com/help/tirepressure.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Dwt, that's a good starting point, but does not compensate for the tire size. Generally speaking, the wider the tire, the lower the pressure. Your figures look about right for a 2.0 or so. A 2.4 is probably closer to 21/23, while a hybrid tire might need 40. Fat tires would be in the single digits.

Professional Crastinator
    Whatever minimum pressure keeps your rims from denting.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member

I am running tubes and ride 30psi front and rear.

dvn
    mtbr member
    As low as you can go without getting pinch flats or rim strikes. Rider weight and terrain will dictate. You have to experiment. I have not run above 28 psi in any of my bikes in years.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RaythePedaler View Post
    Dwt, that's a good starting point, but does not compensate for the tire size. Generally speaking, the wider the tire, the lower the pressure. Your figures look about right for a 2.0 or so. A 2.4 is probably closer to 21/23, while a hybrid tire might need 40. Fat tires would be in the single digits.
    I agree with this. I'm 240 and run no more than 30 in my front 2.4. My rear 2.1 (a small 2.1) I ran around 28 last week and while I did feel some rim strikes over roots at speed, it handled way better than when I remember to check the pressure pre-ride and set it to 35.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Most pressure gauges are so unreliable that a psi recommendation is at best a starting point. I think it's better to experiment until you have achieved pressure nirvana and *then* measure with your favorite gauge. I inflate to 20 psi on my floor pump (tubeless and I weigh 190) but always also do a squeeze test as a sanity check. i think my pump's 20 is actually about 24-25 psi.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Has anyone found a good Pressure gauge that is reasonably priced?? I've bought 3 and none of them are accurate for my Weirwolf 2.55's...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

π

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That's like asking what food tastes the best. The answer depends on who you ask, and even then, it's often poorly defined.

Increase pressures if:
    -You're heavier
    -You're running narrow tires
    -You prioritize efficiency over handling and comfort
    -You are running tubes

Decrease pressures if:
    -You're lighter
    -You're running wider tires
    -You prioritize handling and comfort over efficiency
    -You are tubeless or tubular (though if you're hardcore enough to run tubulars, you already know what pressures you want).

As baseline, I'd say it's usually OK to start MTBs somewhere around 30-35 psi, and then adjust from there. Be certain to pay attention to the pressure limitations written on the tire sidewall and the rim. IMO you can sometimes go lower (I personally do when tubeless), but *never* go higher as you risk a blowout. Not that you'd need to anyway.

FWIW, I keep my tubeless superlight 29 with 2.1 width tires ready for racing my 160lb self at about 22 psi. Too much higher and I bounce off roots and rocks, too much lower and it impacts my pace.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Has anyone found a good Pressure gauge that is reasonably priced?? I've bought 3 and none of them are accurate for my Weirwolf 2.55's...
    Haha, how do you know that none of them are accurate if you don't have an accurate gauge to compare to? Are they all inconsistent?

Personally I just use my floor pump's built-in gauge--if you don't have a nice floor pump I would recommend it. It's one of those things you buy once and then have for pretty much forever. I've put on presta->schrader adapters and it compares favorably to the high quality dial gauge I use on my car, a couple percent lower at road bike pressures but almost spot on for MTB pressures.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_03 View Post
    Haha, how do you know that none of them are accurate if you don't have an accurate gauge to compare to? Are they all inconsistent?

Personally I just use my floor pump's built-in gauge--if you don't have a nice floor pump I would recommend it. It's one of those things you buy once and then have for pretty much forever. I've put on presta->schrader adapters and it compares favorably to the high quality dial gauge I use on my car, a couple percent lower at road bike pressures but almost spot on for MTB pressures.
    Well, my Silca floor pump just goes to 50psi and stays there.. My crappy Nishiki floor pump I use for the kids Schraders and Soccer balls/basketballs etc stays at 20psi and the $20 pressure gauge I bought at the LBS is just all over the place.. I typically just go by feel now but I hate getting out the door and on the bike and having to stop 3 minutes later to adjust with my mini frame pump. I'd like to get it dialed and be able to set it and forget it before gettin my adventures rollin.

Trying to avoid having 5 floor pumps in the shed, especially if none of them work exactly right. Probably going to have to bite the bullet and buy one really nice floor pump with a good gauge, any suggestions < $100?