mtbr member
    Aug 2017

What's the best Frame Protection for 2018?

I just bought a new frame and before I build it up I'd like to throw on an effective frame protector. Is there a "Go-To" option that most seem to really prefer? I've seen invisiframe stuff and that seems like a solid option but I'm curious if there is a better option?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd start with whatever the frame manufacturer makes specifically for your frame then supplement that with Lizard Skins carbon leather frame protectors. I'd purchase 2 or 3 of the largest pieces available then custom fit them to the frame in areas that are most vulnerable to rock strikes and chain slap. I did this on my new bike 2 years ago and have been pleased with the durability and protection. The carbon leather is way burlier than the normal gorilla-type tape and provides substantially more protection.

wms
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I really like the "Effetto Mariposa Shelter Off-Road Bike Protectionr" tape. I also recently ordered a custom down-tube protection plate from a member on this forum with the name "cytoe". I'm really pleased with the quality and fit. He has a page in the classifieds, and makes a version for a large number of newer carbon full suspension designs.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I don't know how much "protection" you are looking for but All Mountain Style has some cool looking options that have been reviewed pretty well.

https://www.allmountainstyle.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just put invisiframe on my new bike. Ordered on Fri got it on Tue the next week. Every piece was cut to my specific frame and size. Took me almost 3 hours, but I’m kind of ocd when it comes to this stuff and took my time. Highly impressed and would buy again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gios78 View Post
    I just put invisiframe on my new bike. Ordered on Fri got it on Tue the next week. Every piece was cut to my specific frame and size. Took me almost 3 hours, but I’m kind of ocd when it comes to this stuff and took my time. Highly impressed and would buy again.
    Awesome lead Gios. Just ordered my kit!

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

Magically Delicious
    I much prefer a roll of helicopter tape over InvisiFrame.

I think InvisiFrame is great quality, just not the price. For the same price I can obtain a roll of 8671 (14 mil) or 8672 (8 mil) that will cover 3 or 4 frames. There are some alternatives to the 3M Brand that are less expensive and nearly as good for less $ (ISC Helicopter-OG-HD tape).

I use the thicker 14 mil on the down tube and back of seat stays. The thinner 8 mil on all other areas.

There's a learning curve to setting up the patterns and cutting, but most 5th graders can figure it pretty quick.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Barely in control
    Wow, $100 for a roll of 8671!

Magically Delicious
    Yeah, unfortunately it's not cheap, but neither is any of the pre-cut stuff like Invisiframe.

You won't use much of the thicker 8671 and you can buy it buy the foot.

I use a lot more of the thinner stuff because it conforms to the convex and concave areas of the frame easier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've used this stuff for years. https://www.coloradocyclist.com/effe...rotection-tape

There are longer rolls available

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ Shelter tape is really thick, very protective and very expensive.

If you elect to buy this tape, you might want to confirm that you're NOT getting the tape with Shelter in large letters is printed along its entire length. I have seen this.

For the thick polyurethane tape (14 mil), I pay about $1.45 per foot. That Shelter tape is over $9.00 a foot ($30 1m). Good stuff, but expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Dang, InvisiFrame doesn't have my frame size. They have been working to get an XL size I guess for a couple of months but so far nothing yet. Is there another Frame Specific kit that is similar quality?

psycho cyclo addict
    I use strategically placed pieces of 1" ISC Racer's tape: where cables are close to the frame and other areas prone to rock hits (undersides of frame triangles for example).

No need to cover a huge percentage of the frame surfaces... it is not if it will get dinged, it is when.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i've used left over pieces of automotive clear bra material. pretty much the thinner 3M posted above. works great, keeps the chips away.