Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    offroader
    Dec 2008

What was wrong with 9 speed?

2 years ago 10 speed came out now 11?? I remember when I started running 1x9 years ago I never had a problem with it. I'm not sure making a MTB chain even more narrow than it already is, is a good idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: What was wrong with 9 speed?

For you clearly nothing, for others quite a lot. Just depends how fussy you are, what gear spread you need and how much disposal income you have.

FYI it was 4 years ago that 10 speed came out.

Its like asking, what is wrong with standard definition 420p vs 1080p. Some people see a huge difference, others don't....

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ummm, why did you start this thread when you replied to an already existing identical thread that was in a more appropriate sub-forum?

That aside, I'm super glad 1x9 worked out for you, but it would not be nearly sufficient for the riding I have where I live. You could be living in Florida for all I know, or you could be a way stronger rider than I, so our needs will vary.

With that said, I do prefer 2x10 to 3x9 except for on my cargo bike. Oh, and my Ogre which gets a lot of rail trails and road riding. I haven't had any more failures than on my older 3x9 bikes, and I am eager to try 1x11 for even more simplicity (if it allows me the gearing range I like) once I wear out my current drivetrain.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

I Ride for Donuts
    The best part about 10 and 11 speed is that it lowered the price of 9 speed
    OK not really... but that's a nice bonus for those of us that can't afford it!

I don't think it's about anything being "wrong" with 9 speed, or even 8 speed for that matter. It's about efficiency and weight savings and eliminating duplicated ratios, and the crispy front shifting of 2 rings up front, or the elimination of the front derailleur altoghether if you go 1X.

If you're 1X9, you've gained most of that stuff and made up for the rest in the strength you have to push 1x9.

I'm 3x9 currently. I don't like the idea of eliminating the 44t because I often ride several miles on the road or rail-trail to get to the singletrack, and I'm in the big ring a lot. On the trail, I'm in the middle ring 99% of the time. I think a 2x10 would be awesome for me, but with the two big rings up front instead of the two little ones. But then, why eliminate that little granny gear if I'm already packing around a front derailleur and the two big chainrings? But I love what I hear about how good a 2X system shifts...

It all boils down to preference, riding style, terrain you're riding, and discretionary income. If I was buying a new bike I'd probably go 2x10. But I haven't hit the lottery yet.

... there's more than one way to skin a cat.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    2 years ago 10 speed came out now 11?? I remember when I started running 1x9 years ago I never had a problem with it. I'm not sure making a MTB chain even more narrow than it already is, is a good idea.
    It's one better. One more is always one better!

Spinal Tap - These Go To 11 - YouTube
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

I <3 dirt

What makes 9 so good? 8 was fine
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Shimano hit their pinnacle at 8 speed. It's been downhill since.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Seems to understand

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    Nothing is wrong with 9 speed. You can run it 1 x 9, 2 x 9, 3 x 9. You can get light weight cassettes for 9 speed, you can get wider spread cassettes of 11-36, or even go to a 36T, 38T, or 41T cog for the rear cassette to use with any 9 speed cassette if you want a wider range for your 1 x 9 or 2 x 9. You can custom pick your chainrings up front to dial in your desire gearing range that works for you.

I'm still 9 speed on all mountain bikes and see no end to that in the immediate future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How do you get 36T, 38T, or 41T? Where do you get it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    REAL MEN RIDE SINGLESPEED!

Of course, that means I'm not a real man at all.. oh well.

mtbr member
    I think the best thing about 10 speed is the SRAM clutch derailleur (which is only 10 speed X9 and X0), and availabilty of 11-36 cassettes. This is really only important to those of us who run a 1x10 setup though. I know Shimano has their own clutch style system, but I can only attest to the SRAM version.

BUT... 9 speed works better for everything else IMO. Cassettes are cheaper, lighter, more available... chains are easier to work with, and everything else is generally cheaper, at least used prices that is.

Personally, I would prefer a 9 speed XT, 11-34 990 cassette, rapid rise 1x9 setup... Perfect for XC IMO.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Shimano hit their pinnacle at 8 speed. It's been downhill since.
    Yeah, even with 9 speed I pretty much double-shift every time. Sometimes I even just shift up and down the triple ring if conditions are right.
    I don't need to keep my cadence between 90 and 91 rpms.

Plus, other than my first bike (26-36-46 x 13-30 7spd.) my MTBs have always run from about 20 gear inches (22x32, or even 20x32 which is only ~18!) up to 100-115 (44x11). That's a pretty big jump to get from a ~24T ring up to 44T, so I need 3 rings anyway. I'd be happy with 7 speed if it would shift OK - which I think it would.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Still happy with 3x9, especially on a heavier 29'er FS. Having the 22t front bailout ring is great for steep, sustained climbs, and the 32t middle is almost always perfect for everything else. And, I do use the 44t big ring on a relatively regular basis.

With 2x10, I feel like I'm shifting a lot more, hunting for the right gear, when with the 3x9 I shift less.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    hell i'd say even 9 speed is too fragile in my mind for big guys like me who ride mtbs in sometimes not so ideal conditions.

i think a company could probably make some money if they came out with a nicely working bomber 3x7 or 3x8 system. especially for really abusive stuff like DH.

3/32" is about as narrow as i'd like to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yup what brucebrown said.....you can get a larger rear cog .....at 41t your almost at the range of the sram xx1 cassette. you can save alot of pennies doing it this way and still keep your 9speed

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Buy a 36 T cassette. Sram or Shimano.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    "Buy a 36 T cassette. Sram or Shimano."

"yup what brucebrown said.....you can get a larger rear cog .....at 41t your almost at the range of the sram xx1 cassette. you can save alot of pennies doing it this way and still keep your 9speed"

Where do you get this? Please provide Link. Do you have to disassemble the cassette to install this I take it? Never seen a 36T or greater SRAM. Shimano has the 36T SLX which weighs a ton.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    6-speed on a SS hub is where it's at.

mtbr member
    I ride a 1x8 and a 1x9

There is nothing inherently wrong with anything. Someone above made a good comparison to TV resolution. More rear gears = more gear ratio resolution. This usually equates to slightly more power transition efficiency.

So many on my 8sp, I am pushing #3 and it is a little too tough, so I go to #4 and it's too easy. Now if I had three more ratios to choose from spread out between the same amount of teeth (11-34) you might be able to fine that sweet spot, pedal a little faster and not be pushed over your limit.

??? some time when I have the $$$ to change, I'll go to whatever is affordable and popular.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

I <3 dirt

The biggest problem with 9 speed (and anything less then that but more then 1) is availability of quality parts these days. As things progress most companies abandon the older tech.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    1x1 is all anybody needs.
    Signature

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    6-speed on a SS hub is where it's at.
    This with a 2X up front works extremely well.

mtbr member
    If chains are breaking on you, you're not maintaining them properly or the connection was made poorly when assembling. A Shimano 10 speed chain is more durable than their 9 speed chains, because they incorporate their latest tricks in manufacturing to make a better chain.

I still run 1x9 on both my geared mountain bikes and have some spare parts in reserve to keep them running for a long time. There are newer and better things available but they have only raised the bar. The old type parts are still as good as they ever were.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I would just like to clarify again, that THE MORON WHO STARTED THIS THREAD QUITE LITERALLY RESPONDED IN A PRE-EXISTING THREADM IN THE PROPER SUB-FORUM, TO THE VERY QUESTION IN WHICH HE ASKED YET AGAIN IN THREAD.

Can you give me negative rep twice for pointing out the obvious? Is that possible? Ass. lol
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast