Powered by ice cream.

What is "wheel flop" and is it affected by tires?

My understanding of wheel flop:

1. The front of the bike self steers deeper into a turn once the turn is initiated.
    2. It is increased in conditions of slow speeds, and by increased trail.

My understanding of trail:

1. More trail increases stability at high speeds and decreases it at low speeds. Less trail does the opposite.

Is my understanding above correct?

I ask because the only bike I can sense any wheel flop (if that is what it is) at all, is My stock Karate Monkey (with KM fork). It has the least trail of any bike I ride.

I ride this bike exclusively as a commuter on the road with 2.35 Big Apple slick tires. It definitely wants to "flop" or fall deeper into a turn at speeds below 10mph. Not difficult to control, but the bike feels slightly unstable at these speeds.

My other two bikes have more trail than the Monkey, but use knobbies (Exiwolf) on the front. I use them mainly off road, but even the few times I have ridden them to work, I have never sensed this same tendency to flop. I have never felt it off road either.

I am thinking the type and shape of the tire has a great deal to do with what you sense on the front of the bike. Maybe more than the trail number? Either that, or what I am feeling on the Monkey is not "wheel flop"

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    My understanding of wheel flop:

1. The front of the bike self steers deeper into a turn once the turn is initiated.
    2. It is increased in conditions of slow speeds, and by increased trail.

My understanding of trail:

1. More trail increases stability at high speeds and decreases it at low speeds. Less trail does the opposite.

Is my understanding above correct?

I ask because the only bike I can sense any wheel flop (if that is what it is) at all, is My stock Karate Monkey (with KM fork). It has the least trail of any bike I ride.

I ride this bike exclusively as a commuter on the road with 2.35 Big Apple slick tires. It definitely wants to "flop" or fall deeper into a turn at speeds below 10mph. Not difficult to control, but the bike feels slightly unstable at these speeds.

My other two bikes have more trail than the Monkey, but use knobbies (Exiwolf) on the front. I use them mainly off road, but even the few times I have ridden them to work, I have never sensed this same tendency to flop. I have never felt it off road either.

I am thinking the type and shape of the tire has a great deal to do with what you sense on the front of the bike. Maybe more than the trail number? Either that, or what I am feeling on the Monkey is not "wheel flop"

Thoughts?
    I may be wrong, but here goes: I think wheel flop is actually when the wheel tries to steer back to the center, the more trail the more it self centers. I think what your KM is doing is oversteering because of the lack of trail, getting twitchy on you, diving into the turn.

Monte
    (front wheel done, rear tomorrow or next night)