mtbr member
    Oct 2011

what suspension is the scott spark 29 pro?

what suspension does it have, is it a single pivot ? im concerned they do not climb that well unlike the VPP . Has anyone rode this Im about to pull the trigger on the scott or a tallboy. The scott has way better components and a little lighter your help would be much appreciated ty..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks like a Faux Bar.

This might help you:
    Buyer's Guide To Mountain Bike Suspension, Part 2 - BikeRadar
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5foldtravel View Post
    what suspension does it have, is it a single pivot ? im concerned they do not climb that well unlike the VPP . Has anyone rode this Im about to pull the trigger on the scott or a tallboy. The scott has way better components and a little lighter your help would be much appreciated ty..
    Tthe Scott climbs like a champ....especially with the Twinloc System.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A FS bike with a rear lock out= HT
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    A FS bike with a rear lock out= HT
    Which is why it climbs well....don't forget, that with Twinloc you have three suspension modes F & R, 100mm, 70mm and full lock out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    nice thanks guys yeah im going back and forth on the spark and tallboy if it climbs good cool I go by fully open then lockout. Im flipping coins lol. getting a new one this week.

mtbr member
    nice thanks guys yeah im going back and forth on the spark and tallboy if it climbs good cool I go by fully open then lockout. Im flipping coins lol. getting a new one this week.
    You really can't make a bad decision with either.

mtbr member
    Very few modern XC mountain bikes don't climb very well.

Why would you think otherwise?

Marketing? Specialized and "Faux bar"?
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Actually there is a long term review of the 29er spark on cyclingnews/bike radar.

Scott Spark 29 RC Long-term Review | Cyclingnews.com

The suspension (for the testers) was actually the disappointment....too much bob in open, poor performance in middle setting. YMMV
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks alex wow that doesnt sound too good looks like you would have to put a rp23 in there on the rear suspension what to do what to do. Hmmmm

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Tallboy SPX kit. New ones are even coming with 142 rear, so if you find a 9mm rear Tallboy you could use that as a bargaining tool.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall View Post
    Actually there is a long term review of the 29er spark on cyclingnews/bike radar.

Scott Spark 29 RC Long-term Review | Cyclingnews.com

The suspension (for the testers) was actually the disappointment....too much bob in open, poor performance in middle setting. YMMV
    This is not my experience with the bike at all..very little bob even at full travel...even then it is remedied by switching to Traction mode.

Read this review, he makes a few suggestions:

2012 Scott Spark Mountain Bike – Ride Review & Tech Report - Bike Rumor

Your Best Friend
    There are a myriad of bikes to choose from in your price range. Branch out a bit.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yeah, I have been trying to branch out with a little homework , I want carbon frame and not as a steep head tube and or have the option of putting a 120mm fork if I wanted to down the road. I link the spx tallboy but its a little out of range it would have to be the rxc. I want to go out today but have no idea where to start. I have been to one LBS and they have the scott and one with the specialized maybe going to santa cruz next to check out my shops are far apart. thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, I have been trying to branch out with a little homework , I want carbon frame and not as a steep head tube and or have the option of putting a 120mm fork if I wanted to down the road. I link the spx tallboy but its a little out of range it would have to be the rxc. I want to go out today but have no idea where to start. I have been to one LBS and they have the scott and one with the specialized maybe going to santa cruz next to check out my shops are far apart. thanks
    That is why I said use the 9mm rear as a bargaining tool. Why would you pay full price for an old standard? The new Tallboys have a 142 rear, so basically any 9mm Tallboy is outdated at this point.

I'm currently trying to decide between TBc or TBLTc, but my shop has a TBc 9mm, tempted to throw a low offer on it and see what happens.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yeah that is a option 9mm bargaining tool. But that being said now I want the 142x12 lol. but if I can get one real cheap lets see I will not pay full boat 4000 into anything now out dated lets see whats happens. The only way I can get this bike really for my area without waiting and who knows how long of a wait. I will have to order from huck and roll, cambria, or ect. So I would have to get on the phone with them.

Your Best Friend
    Giant has three Anthem X frames in carbon for 2013.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks like did some talking to a shop and as I was talking the word came out 10% off retail on the non upgraded tallboys so thats 400 and 500 bucks off sounds good I can even get the rxc and have a little left over for upgrades. But the factor is the color I want.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
    This is not my experience with the bike at all..very little bob even at full travel...even then it is remedied by switching to Traction mode.

Read this review, he makes a few suggestions:

2012 Scott Spark Mountain Bike Ride Review & Tech Report - Bike Rumor
    It will be interesting to see how the new ones go. I've not been on a Scott in years....a Genius was my last one, so I'm not really qualified as such to comment on the new ones. The review sprang to mind as I'd just spotted it on CN recently and was a but surprised to see their comments.

A friend tried out some of the alloy 29ers and was a bit underwhelmed. Its all pretty personal though, as each person's body shape/riding style can make them prefer wildly different suspension designs even if the terrain is the same.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"