What a surprise for me

Printable View

• 12-26-2012
    Zachua
    What a surprise for me
    So the wife knew I had been saving for a new hardtail and I just told her to not buy me anything for Christmas so I could have a little extra cash to put towards my new bike. I come down stairs Christmas morning to see this big box wrapped and I'm thinking 'what the heck is this!?' She says Santa came and that's yours. I opened it to find this:

wow! I was speechless. I had been saving up for months and now all that money I saved can go towards the components!

big change from the old 26'er I've been riding forever that still has rim brakes!
  • 12-26-2012
    blaklabl
    In case you hadn't realized it by now, she is a KEEPER (the wife!)
  • 12-26-2012
    Scott In MD
    Ho ho ho, indeed. My wife did me solid as well. Pics tomorrow after I get it built up.
  • 12-26-2012
    John Kuhl
    You have a great wife Zachua, you are
    very lucky.
  • 12-26-2012
    thomllama
    can I just borrow your wife? like for a few weeks,.. just so I can get a new frame :)

she did good!!! nice pick!!
  • 12-26-2012
    AOK
    Great wife, great story, great frame. Enjoy!
  • 12-26-2012
    ghettocop
    Congrats!!
  • 12-26-2012
    texasnavy05
    You are a lucky man!!
  • 12-26-2012
    mikesee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachua View Post
    So the wife knew I had been saving for a new hardtail and I just told her to not buy me anything for Christmas so I could have a little extra cash to put towards my new bike. I come down stairs Christmas morning to see this big box wrapped and I'm thinking 'what the heck is this!?' She says Santa came and that's yours. I opened it to find this:

wow! I was speechless. I had been saving up for months and now all that money I saved can go towards the components!

big change from the old 26'er I've been riding forever that still has rim brakes!

Wow, that's...

...wow. Score, on many levels.

Congrats!
  • 12-26-2012
    skiahh
    You know, most threads that mention a wife or girlfriend generate comments saying they must see a picture of said wife or girlfriend.

In this case, no picture needed!!
  • 12-26-2012
    kreater
    very nice. enjoy building it up, the ride, and the fact that a loved one got it for you.:thumbsup:
  • 12-28-2012
    SeaBass_
    NICE! Mine would've got me the Walmart FS 29er and told me that if I only shopped around, I would find great deals like she did.
  • 12-28-2012
    LyNx
    That's FANTASTIC Dude, as everyone else said in case you hadn't already realised it, Definite Keeper :D The real kicker to me is, not only did she get you a new frame, but she got you a Ti beauty and pays enough attention and/or cares enough to know your sizing. Absolutely lucky man, now hurry up and build it up.
  • 12-28-2012
    cbw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    NICE! Mine would've got me the Walmart FS 29er and told me that if I only shopped around, I would find great deals like she did.

haha sounds familiar
  • 12-28-2012
    1banger
    Let us see your build when it's finished!
  • 12-28-2012
    MTBeing
    Holy $*&#! what a wife! You must've freaked out when you saw Moots. Mine got me a Go Pro and I didn't even know she knew what it was, so I'm not complaining.
  • 12-28-2012
    bkirby10
    Nice! I got a fuzzy parrot with a cocktail in his hand that sings 'Don't Worry, Be Happy'...
  • 12-28-2012
    colker1
    Buy HER something... forget components.
  • 12-29-2012
    HouseNotes
    Sweet! Hope you got her something nice for Christmas. If not, better spend those savings on HER.
  • 12-29-2012
    jarwes
    Quote:

Buy HER something... forget components.
    +1 Buy her something something that sparkles...
  • 12-29-2012
    ravenous
    Nice frame
  • 12-30-2012
    LC_rider
    Lucky guy! Congratulations.
  • 12-30-2012
    Mr.Magura
    Hmm, it's obviously about time to replace the girlfriend here :D

Magura :)
  • 12-30-2012
    John Kuhl
    ^ Why?
  • 12-30-2012
    Mr.Magura
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    ^ Why?

Well, my girlfriend don't bring me nice presents like that, so I'd say it's worth a try to have her replaced.

• 01-02-2013
    Zachua
    Thanks guys. Full story goes like this. I've been going into the local bike shop talking titanium with the owner for a few months now. Well my wife had been hearing me talk about the moots frames anytime I talk about bikes. She's not really into bikes but she is supportive of my obsessions.

Anyways, i had no idea but my wife called the owner of the LBS around thanksgiving and told him to order me the frame I wanted.

Sometime around that time I got a call from Craig (lbs owner) telling me that he had a customers mootox in store for some work and wanted to know if I wanted to take it for a spin...I said uhhhhh yes!!

So I went to the store and peddled around on this super nice mootox with all top end components. I felt like I was riding a Lamborghini round the parking lot. I was stoked!

After I brought the bike back into the store the owner and I chit chatted about it and then he suggested I go ahead get measured since I was getting close to having saved enough cash for a frame. Little did I know he was doing this so he would know what size frame to order for me since my wife had already ordered one! I get measured and he suggests an 18 and then I left with no idea what all just happened.

Course you guys know what happened on Christmas Day. Needless to say I was a little shocked when I pulled the wrapping off the box and saw the big moots logo.

I can't wait to take the frame back to the shop and start deciding on components and will definitely keep this updated!

edit: tried to trim some of my ramblin down. :)
  • 01-03-2013
    LyNx
    There I fixed your long rambling for you ;) :D
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachua View Post
    Thanks guys. Full story goes like this............My Wife is the best dang woman a guy could want, she listens and pays attention when I ramble on about bikes unlike most spouses, I'm the luckiest guy in the world :D

• 01-03-2013
    Mr.Magura
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    There I fixed your long rambling for you ;) :D

That pretty much sums it up :thumbsup:

• 01-03-2013
    eclipse24
    Great story, a wonderful wife, and a terrific bike!!
  • 01-03-2013
    Zachua
    lol sorry bout that! :)
  • 01-03-2013
    wyatt79m
    Wow, you are Sooo Lucky
  • 01-03-2013
    Ottoreni
    Nice!
    AS many other have mentioned, you are very fortunate in many ways.
    Having a wife who supports you obsession.
    Having a wife that listens to you ramble about your obsession.
    Having a wife that buys a REAL NICE frame for your obsession.

All the best to you man!
    Be sure to treat that woman right!:thumbsup:
  • 02-28-2013
    Zachua
    What a surprise for me
    Thanks guys! :)

It's been a month or so since I updated this. Some parts came in today.

yessir:

not sure which stem to go with. I like the haven but it may not be long enough. We'll see:

some matching blue here and there:

most of the drivetrain and wheels/tires are here too. I'm going to take some more pics on Saturday. stoked!
  • 03-01-2013
    thomllama
    as to stems, said it before and will say it a thousand times ;) don't guess at length,. buy a few super cheapo's in assorted lengths, spend a saturday and ride a well know trail with each one.. find the size that fits you , then go get the nice one you want. Looks like your at your local shop, guessing they have a basket full of used and take off stems... with the $$$ you're dropping there they should be more than willing to help with this process ;)
  • 03-01-2013
    LyNx
    Absolutely, 100% agree with Thom, that's the best way to go about stem length if you're really into MTBing and takes the guess work out. I had a few cheapos I bought to throw on 2nd/3rd /loaner bikes I have an also for this reason, but have managed to also sell to people when I did bike fits for them and there were none available on the island, so on the look out again for them on the blow out between 50-90mm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    as to stems, said it before and will say it a thousand times ;) don't guess at length,. buy a few super cheapo's in assorted lengths, spend a saturday and ride a well know trail with each one.. find the size that fits you , then go get the nice one you want. Looks like your at your local shop, guessing they have a basket full of used and take off stems... with the $$$ you're dropping there they should be more than willing to help with this process ;)

• 03-07-2013
    Zachua
    What a surprise for me
    good advice on stem. thanks dudes. right now it's got the 100mm stem. bike shop going to let me roll with it this weekend see how I like it. the pic I took below is with 110mm stem.

so right now it has a temp stem and seat post. the pedals were just so I could ride around parking lot for a minute. my egg beaters will be going on tonight. it weighs in at about 23.5lbs without pedals.

Without further ado

(temp pedals and stem)
  • 03-07-2013
    csteven71
    Looks great!
  • 03-08-2013
    LyNx
    I say shorter on the stem and wider on the bar :D Think it looks very sweet and again in case you forgot, thank you wife immensely again for such a great gift ;)
  • 03-08-2013
    dremags
    Nice bike! Sounds like the bike and the wife are keepers! I built up a Ti bike a couple months ago and love it...enjoy
  • 03-13-2013
    1 Speed
    Wow! Nicely done on so many levels.
  • 03-13-2013
    WickedLite
    Gotta love good wives. My wife knew I loved link forks and got me Kilo No. 1 for x-mas.

Parrot that sings Don't worry..Be Happy.. lol this is a funny thread.

Yer Moots looks great. Great build story when the wife get involved...

weeeell most of the time.
  • 03-13-2013
    Levi707
    Im going to email this thread to the girlfriend so that she can take notes ;)