Mulleticious

New question here. What size Niner SIR9 frame?

I am 5 foot 11 and a half inches tall. This is smack bang in the middle of the Medium and Large size frames recommendation by Niner.

Usually I would try the different size bikes out, but there is no dealer anywhere close to me, so this is not possible.

Is there anyone out there the same height as me, with a Niner SIR9? If so, what size frame and how does it fit?

Cheers

TR
    Angry bunny
    Large unless you like lots of seatpost showing.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Large unless you like lots of seatpost showing.
    Good point. Thanks.

EXORCIZE
    Yeah, you really are exactly in the middle. Maybe check out some other brands that you can test ride? Kona has 18", 19" and 20" in steel, but frame-only is tough to find if that's your plan.

I'd guess a L unless like me your length is in your legs compared to waiste and arms.

I was between L and XL for the SIR9. I went with XL. Then later traded it for a L and was much happier (crazy seatpost length but is that problem? I mean, it's roughly 1/2 lb lighter I think, if that helps). The XL was ok if sitting/cruising but it was a SS and I could never dial in the cockpit to make standing climbs feel right (couldn't weight both wheels adequately). I've very leggy and the XL was just too long. The XL rolled over everything like a champ and the long/low set up provided really stable high-speed handling but the L felt more fun/tossable/engaging. The XL made for a more passive and therefor less fun riding experience - a deal breaker in my book. But it if I was building a geared bike for endurance style riding, I'd go for the larger size.

Btw, gobs of similar threads in the Niner forum.
    ride natty ride

Mulleticious
    Thanks Ryder. Not sure now, as I do want a tossable steed...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    5' 11" and a half here but mostly leg with a 34" inseam and Im on a Large SIR9. Used to have an EMD and tried a Medium but couldn't get fit right on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm riding a SIR and I was right smack in the middle between a S & a M. Eventually went for a M (I have no test rides here in my area too) with a short stem. Seemed to fit me like a glove so far.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

SIR 9, small, at 5'7'' perfect for my aggressive style.

Take into account your terrain too. I always ride smaller sizes since I like to leave the ground alot, and lots of switchbacks in my area for 29er at my size. 31 inseam. Lots of seatpost. New frame huh? Awesome for you!

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hooper View Post
    5' 11" and a half here but mostly leg with a 34" inseam and Im on a Large SIR9. Used to have an EMD and tried a Medium but couldn't get fit right on it.
    That's helpful - I'm also 33/34" inseam. Thanks BH

mtbr member
    5'10", 32" inseem and on my M One 9 I have a 410mm Thomson post almost at it's min insert.

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/2...g_1617_web.jpg

Bike fits me great BUT if I was any taller I would go with a L model.
    Last edited by driver bob; 03-04-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    5'10", 32" inseem and on my M One 9 I have a 410mm Thomson post almost at it's min insert.

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/2...g_1617_web.jpg

Bike fits me great BUT if I was any taller I would go with a L model.
    Helpful - thanks Bob.

So far, it's gonna be a Large...

HTFU!
    This will be of no help to the OP, but due to the title of the thread, it may help someone else: I am ~5'8", 30" inseam and a small Niner (SIR9 and One9) is spot on. Sure would be nice if you could test ride a couple. I first rode a medium and thought it was o.k. until I rode a small and it felt perfect for climbing and controlling. I only use a 350cm post on mine...and sure, it is only a bit under the min. insert point, but so what, that is all that matters (plus it is a Masterpiece, so I am stoked I can use it).
    VERY happy with my Niner(s).

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO View Post
    This will be of no help to the OP, but due to the title of the thread, it may help someone else: I am ~5'8", 30" inseam and a small Niner (SIR9 and One9) is spot on. Sure would be nice if you could test ride a couple. I first rode a medium and thought it was o.k. until I rode a small and it felt perfect for climbing and controlling. I only use a 350cm post on mine...and sure, it is only a bit under the min. insert point, but so what, that is all that matters (plus it is a Masterpiece, so I am stoked I can use it).
    VERY happy with my Niner(s).
    So if I'm only 3.5" taller than you it makes me think I need a Medium not a Large? It would be nice to save 300 grammes as well...

mtbr member
    As you can't "try before you buy" (if it were me) I'd go L rather than M.

For what it's worth my wife is 5'8" and rides the M One9 with a 100mm stem and a Mary Bar and feels like it's a good fit. Granted, she's not "aggressive" on it (yet!!) but I don't think it's too big for her either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am 5'11" with 32" inseam.I had a medium SIR9 for a year or so and then rode my friends large- my friends bike is now mine. The large fit me much better- just felt much more stable without apparent downside. I also replaced a medium Lynskey with a large eventually.

mark

mtbr member
    I'm 6"2 and was going to go with the XL til I happened to ride one and it felt a little too XL to me so I'm living with an L and loving it.