Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

What size air compressor for tubeless tires

I am wanting to buy a air compressor to be able to seal my tubeless tires to my wheels because I am tired of going to the bike shop everytime I change tires. What size air compressor do you need to seal a tubeless tire? I have a small 2 gallon compressor but it wont seal the tire. I am using Stans. Any help guys????

mtbr member

any

A 2 gal. should work.

Any size really should work.

wot no bike?
    Yeah you must be doing something wrong. Have you used the compressor successfully for anything else (like filling automobile tires)? Is the water drain closed on it or is it running almost constantly? What's the max PSI? What are the SCFM ratings? Also the schrader chucks that may come with them can be pretty stiff to activate, sometimes you have to really push down on it good.
    pete

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    An air tank should probably do the trick. Only about $20 at sears,walmart, etc Used to use them for air at the the track with the car and have used the old tank on many occasions for the bike. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Inflators Should have more than enough capacity to air up a bike tire. The main caveat is that you have to have a gas station convenient for refilling the tank. But one tank full of air up to 120psi should fully air up a dozen or more tires. The main advantage is the tanks are a heck of a lot cheaper than a compressor and you can take them track or trail side.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    I concur with the others; sounds like your current compressor should do the trick. My schraeder chuck is pretty "stiff" too, and I have to wiggle things around a bit to get the air flowing. I also find that I can inflate almost any tire with my max air pressure setting of 100psi.

Best of luck.

workin' it Administrator
    I have the tiniest one possible. Can't fill a car tire but pops the heck out of tubeless (sometimes, depending on whether it is seated properly). That said it costs less than a mid range floor pump and came with a brad nailer which I use all the time. ($85 at Home Depot)
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    With every tire I've mounted with stan's haven't even used a compressor just my high volume floor pump. The biggest thing is mounting it, banging the tire so it widens on the rim after I get it mounted. Then pump up and good to go... If you watch the video it is well documented there...

Hope it helps.. I think a 2 gallon would be beyond fine as well... You just aren't getting a good seal, you have to pull or push the bead as wide on the rim as possible. Then you can probably air it up with even a floor pump as well.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    like mentioned a simple air tank should do the trick easily... don't even need to goto the gas station for air... a simple tire pump (type for the car that plugs into the 12v plug in your car) will fill it nicely... may take a little while but it's a cheap solution...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

On your left.
    Jan 2004

used to want an air compressor

But Stan's bead socket rims really do allow floor pump installation of non-tubeless tires. If you are using stiff carcass tires, then a floor pump is much less likely to work as the tire bead stays together in the middle of the rim. Here are a few tips I've learned - these may be usefull for floor pump or compressor installation:

- use the soapy water to clean the tire bead and whet the interface to the rim
    - clean out the valve hole - the latex really clogs these up and reduces flow
    - install difficult tires with a tube first. Then remove the tube from one-side only so one bead is already set. Then go tubeless and you only have to get the other bead to set.
    add the sealant through the valve stem after the tire is mounted.
    - hang the wheel from something, so you can use 2 hands to work with.
    - get someone to pump while you work the bead.

That said, the $85 Home Depot compressor with brad nailer sounds like the ticket to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jrich
    I am wanting to buy a air compressor to be able to seal my tubeless tires to my wheels because I am tired of going to the bike shop everytime I change tires. What size air compressor do you need to seal a tubeless tire? I have a small 2 gallon compressor but it wont seal the tire. I am using Stans. Any help guys????
    M

Always Learning
    I got this little sucker on sale at Sears this year. It does my car tires as well and I upgraded to a better hose (hated that pig's tail yellow thing) and a chuck with a built in pressure gauge.

BB

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Still not working. I just can get the bead to seal on the rim. and the only thing that I seem to be good at is getting stans all over the garage floor. It seems that I am not getting enough air into the tire.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    go to the no tubes web site and watch the videos, he has the right technique, pretty much any compressor should work, co2 cartridges aren't exactly high volume

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A 2 gallon tank is more than enough. 2 gallons should work even if there's only 60 psi in the tank. I have to think that you have an issue with your hose or chuck or your tire is colluding with big inner-tube against Stan's plans for world domination.

I tried a couple of Kendas that wouldn't work no matter what I tried. Then I tried a different tire and it just went 'pop' and was on instantly.

Always Learning
    Still not working. I just can get the bead to seal on the rim. and the only thing that I seem to be good at is getting stans all over the garage floor. It seems that I am not getting enough air into the tire.
    Tap down. Pat down. Press down on the tire above the valve stem (you are inflating with the valve stem at the top, right?). This will push the sidewalls out as well as down into the rim strip or tape near the valve so a burst of air can build up and get things inflating. Sometimes I press the tire into the floor at the bottom and press down on the tire at the top above the valve stem all at the same time (maybe even a leg against the tire in between the two as well), grit my teeth, do a little dance and presto - even the most testy of tires will inflate.

But if you are just hanging the tire on the work stand with the valve at the top and shooting air into the valve without any patting or touching at other points on the tire - you're not being creative enough. You need four hands, a leg, a little wiggle here and there and keep moving things around and going at it.

BB

And of course, you are using soap suds, right?

Ozark Native
    are ya doin diy tubeless? if so sounds like ya need to wrap more tape (starping tape or whatever). i had many failed attemts until i built up the bead. used webed drywall tape and painters tape (blue).
    the 3" wide tape works pretty well on the KH rims
    http://queencitycycles.com home of the shiftless bastards

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Is there any reason this particular air compressor would not work?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93186

I have had mixed results w/ air compressors in the past, using different shops and gas stations. Seems like sometimes they are not set high enough to provide that sharp "pop" necessary to seat the bead really fast. The one at my local shop does this task well, but I would like to be a bit more self sufficient when it is not good timing.

This particular model appears to connect to a car battery, which could also be nice when out at a trail.

I'm not sure which is the critical part about getting the "pop", but I would imagine it is a matter of comparing the rate/amount of air it can move at a higher pressure setting, and that unit is CFM (cubic feet per minute?). Comparing some of the larger compressors recommended above, it seems that this little model would provide a decent volume of 1.05 CFM @ 90 PSI.

Anyone know if that would be adequate? Is the HP factor also important? I see that there is a decent little model at Sears that comes w/ a little nailer, which has less power, it seems here:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915300000P

mtbr member
    I picked up a 10 gal tank at the local hardware store for 35 bucks. It takes a while to fill but is portable and will fill 12+ tires without refill if I take it to 100psi initially.
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had trouble with a tire seating the other day so I took a nylon webbing rack strap and tnesioned it all the way around the circumference of the tire to press the sidewals and beads outward. It worked the first try.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by The Avenger
    I had trouble with a tire seating the other day so I took a nylon webbing rack strap and tnesioned it all the way around the circumference of the tire to press the sidewals and beads outward. It worked the first try.
    I've don this as well before it it made hard to seat tires a breeze with my floor pump.

Mtn Sport Enthusiast
    Apr 2007

Great portable air compressor

I picked up Masterflow MF1050 from Pep Boys.
    These are used by 4x4 Off Roaders for a portable 12 volt air compressor.
    (they air down to get more traction, too)

I was able to test inflate my tires with a floor pump, but without the stem valve.

The Masterflow was able to pop the bead in a few seconds with the stem valve.

Masterflow MV1050 Test Report
    http://gearinstalls.com/pepboys.htm

It has an output of about 2.5 CFM.

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by The Avenger
    brilliant idea. I'd bet a longish bungee cord would do the same trick. I like.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

COTA member
    Old thread, but none the less I use Coleman VP201 compressor (two gallon) with tubeless Stan's Arch wheels with good success seating the Conti Race King 29" tire (snap crackle pop) with valve cores removed. Add a couple oz. sealant through the valve stem after seating. Install valve cores and inflate to desired pressure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    PUMA PD1006 12v. Self contained onboard air system, which I then plumbed to the bumper. >125psi, so it will fill road bike tires. Fills the truck tires as well. And operates the front air locker, and...

PUMA 12 VOLT 1.5 GALLON OIL-LESS AIR COMPRESSOR FREE SHIPPING | eBay
    2012 Cannondale Supersix Evo 2 /// 2000 Ritchey Swiss Cross

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a one gallon and 30 gallon use the one gallon at like 60 psi to seal tires saguaro on flows.

Love the on board air above want to do that to my jeep but dont get off road much anymore with that.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

turtles make me hot
    Your 2 gallon compressor will work. I bet anything you have a long, skinny hose on it, right?
    Make a short, large diameter hose for inflating tires and I'll bet it works fine.
    I like turtles

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast