Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    29er
    Apr 2010

What has 16.2" chain stays, titanium, and can make me smile for 90min?

90min smile because that is how long the trail is
    shout out to the canfield nimble 9, my previous bike. This new bike's geometry is based off the n9. 412mm chain stays, 68.5 degree headtube angle
    This year I have gone thru 4 frames. After riding the canfield, which gets much praise here, I knew what this geometry was what i needed. I've always wanted titanium. This is my first, and i can see why it is so coveted.

close up of plate chain stays to clear the crank/tire
    also had the builder bridge the two stays for extra stiffness

drive side

plenty of tire clearance

142x12 drop outs

tapered head tube

close up of welds

specs:
    xacd built frame
    120mm manitou tower pro 15mm thru axle
    cane creek 110 headset
    hadley hubs & stans rims
    2.25 nobby nic front
    2.25 racing ralph rear
    syntace carbon 740mm 12 degree bars
    syntace megaforce 2 70mm stem
    aka cranks, mrp bling ring
    xpedo pedals
    x9 shifter and derailleur
    sram PG-1070 11-36 cassette
    eriksen sweetpost
    selle italia Max SLR gel flow
    xt m785 brakes

25 lbs exactly as pictured
    Last edited by Dan GSR; 12-09-2012 at 01:50 PM.

29er
    Apr 2010
    if you have never tried a short chain stay 29er, you are really missing out

mtbr member
    Very nice!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So sexy! I'm a new convert to steel. Buying my first steel frame in January. One day ill have a ti
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What's considered short for a 29er chainstay?
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

29er
    Apr 2010
    anything 16.8" or less
    yelli screamy
    nimble 9
    banshee paradox
    kona honzo

to name a few

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Real nice. Looking at the clearance between the tire and the yoke, I wonder, was it necessary to do a yoke? Looks like some slightly ovalized tubes would still clear. 'Specially if running a single ring?

Not meaning to criticize your pony, thing is bad ass. I've been wanting a shorter stayed 29er since before I actually took the splash and built a 29er up (this past summer, just a Stumpy HT frame with XT and XTR parts).

Can you describe what it does for your riding personally? I miss having the finessing control over the rear wheel that I had when riding 26". I still do, but it just takes that little bit more effort on the 29er and that's the one gripe with the bigger wheels that I have stuck in my craw. But I wonder if that has more to do with the length of the ass end than it does with the diameter of the wheels...

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Real nice. Looking at the clearance between the tire and the yoke, I wonder, was it necessary to do a yoke? Looks like some slightly ovalized tubes would still clear. 'Specially if running a single ring?

Not meaning to criticize your pony, thing is bad ass. I've been wanting a shorter stayed 29er since before I actually took the splash and built a 29er up (this past summer, just a Stumpy HT frame with XT and XTR parts).

Can you describe what it does for your riding personally? I miss having the finessing control over the rear wheel that I had when riding 26". I still do, but it just takes that little bit more effort on the 29er and that's the one gripe with the bigger wheels that I have stuck in my craw. But I wonder if that has more to do with the length of the ass end than it does with the diameter of the wheels...
    the builder said to get the stays this short, i would have to run the plates
    wasn't going to argue with him
    my guess is if you squish the tubing too much it will be weakened

as for the handling, it sounds like you are perfect candidate for a short CS bike
    i will try my best to explain it
    the frame i had before the nimble 9 was a niner mcr
    very nice frame, VERY different geometry
    the mcr has 17.5 chain stays, 70.5 degree headtube angle
    i loved the bike, but it didn't give me confidence
    after moving to the n9 i saw the light
    the mcr turns by turning the bars
    the n9 turns by moving your hips, you can actually feel it pivot off the rear wheel
    also since the n9 has a 69 degree headtube angle it gave me much better high speed stability. bikes with long stays and slack headtubes have long wheel bases, which will make it handle poorly But since this has a short chain stay, the wheel base is nearly identical to a "normal" geometry bike

i think the only reason more manufacturers are not building these designs is cost
    it is more expensive to create a frame with an offset or curved seat tube

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That's lovely.
    xacd built frame
    So Chinese then - any home grown design input?

29er
    Apr 2010
    i went thru 7 drawings to get what i wanted
    everything was custom to my specs

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    the builder said to get the stays this short, i would have to run the plates
    wasn't going to argue with him
    my guess is if you squish the tubing too much it will be weakened

as for the handling, it sounds like you are perfect candidate for a short CS bike
    i will try my best to explain it
    the frame i had before the nimble 9 was a niner mcr
    very nice frame, VERY different geometry
    the mcr has 17.5 chain stays, 70.5 degree headtube angle
    i loved the bike, but it didn't give me confidence
    after moving to the n9 i saw the light
    the mcr turns by turning the bars
    the n9 turns by moving your hips, you can actually feel it pivot off the rear wheel
    also since the n9 has a 69 degree headtube angle it gave me much better high speed stability. bikes with long stays and slack headtubes have long wheel bases, which will make it handle poorly But since this has a short chain stay, the wheel base is nearly identical to a "normal" geometry bike

i think the only reason more manufacturers are not building these designs is cost
    it is more expensive to create a frame with an offset or curved seat tube
    I hear ya and respect that! They're the builder for a reason. I think I could really benefit from a 29er like this. Thanks a ton for explaining the concept and handling characteristics to me. I need to ride one for sure. Maybe at some point I'll do an SS or a 1x10.

Maybe that's the reason why more companies aren't doing it. It just isn't a sell to everyone kind of thing. Because of the shorter stays it can only run SS or 1X since the front derailleur would whack the tire and result in blues singing. Most people just don't want that. They want something they can granny up the hill, and making frames that won't even humor that won't sell well. Just my guess. I'm probably wrong though. For instance though, I have XTR trail cranks 38x26 on my custom built Stumpy HT. The 38 is fine, the 26 is too low. I need a 27 or 28 for the inner. Doing a search today for that very sort of application found nothing but people complaining about the 26 being to high, not too low.

Keep on Rockin...
    Very nice.

How many teeth on the front ring?

Doing away with the FD prevents a lot of hassle as I'm sure you know.

I'm pretty sure if I ever build up another geared 29er HT, it will have a single up front. It's been years since I ran triples and on a HT I don't need the granny that much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Dan, the trails and woods your in remind me of my home of NJ. Grew up on LBI and on the mainland, in Manahawkin. Pine Barrens all the way!

mtbr member
    Love it! But it's super flickable.

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Love it! Bet it's super flickable.
    yup, backing it in on some turns

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post

How many teeth on the front ring?
    28t bling ring
    for my terrain and fitness, it is perfect for me
    i rarely spin out the 11t in the rear on singletrack

transmitter~receiver
    sick!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Beautiful, functional rig. I like.

human dehumidifier
    Nice bike

Everything you said about the short CS slack HT is true. They're marketed as AM bikes, but are great woods bikes. My N9 rails single track as good as my WTB, but adds the roll over capability of the big wheels. It makes my Salsa and the Spot it replaced feel like school buses. Climbing is (almost) fun again, you just stand up and go for it.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

29er
    Apr 2010
    yeah i have no idea why they call it AM, i would call my riding XC. it works FANTASTICALLY for that

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How's the rest of the ride? Does the backend eat up chatter or is it super stiff ? How does the front end handle the 120mm fork? How's the bottom bracket stiffness?

Sweet looking rig btw.

eschewing obfuscation
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    What's considered short for a 29er chainstay?
    By:Stickel. All of Steve's bikes have ultra-short stays AND room for a front dereallieur.
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

eschewing obfuscation
    looks nearly perfect. don't think i would've gone with manitou and sram, respectively, but that's largely a matter of personal preference. geometry looks perfect. nice work; enjoy!
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    How's the rest of the ride? Does the backend eat up chatter or is it super stiff ? How does the front end handle the 120mm fork? How's the bottom bracket stiffness?
    it does everything well, as far as i can tell
    seems to soak up bumps better than my chromoly nimble 9, but doesn't feel flexy
    first time running a 120mm on a 29er. I had a 100mm reba on my n9. i need a stiffer spring for the manitou. even with it being a little soft having the extra travel is nice.

mtbr member
    Very nice rig! What'd it run ya?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast