mtbr member
    Mar 2012

What full suspension MTB to go with my Flash?

I love my flash but want something more comfy for longer rides like an endurance 50 mile ride. Single track, nothing too extreme just a great all around MTB with rear suspension to go with my hardtail. Good on climbs. I think Id like carbon and I'd like the bike to be firm and responsive when pedaling hard. Ive read about some bikes in the low 20s but don't want to spend a fortune if I can avoid it. Maybe 4-6k.

So far I think I like the Stumpjumper 29er FSR carbon expert or the Cannondale Scalpel 29er. Are these the right ones to look at? Any others to consider? I also thought about the trigger but it seems to heavy.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    I have a flash and an Stumpy FSR. The FSR is definatley a longer travel bike. Not as quick in corners, but once it gets up to speed, it rolls. Very plush. I think the scalpel will be more nimble in corners. You might want to look the the carbon jet 9. If your def set on Scalpel or FSR, I would def test ride both, those are going to be pretty different.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Scalpel 29er Ultimate would be a oerfect mate for the Flash. I really like mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I demo'd the stumpy last weekend in carbon - its an impressive climber and a bike for handling steeper terrain (140 mms of travel)

I wanted something more nimble in the front end so I went for the Spec Camber (see my pictures in the 29er thread latest page 98 at Post Pictures of your 29er ) which has a steeper head angle and 110mm. Its far more nimble - feels like a 26er in the front end - and is a marginally better climber than the stumpy. Perfect for the moderate pitch single track flow we have around here. And good for longer races.

I'd only go the stumper if you were into big mountain bombing with steeps and hits, in which case I'd also consider an Enduro.

As for the best climbing/pedalling full susser, in XC style, the mob down here reckon the Orbea Occam has wrested the title from the Cannondale Scalpel.
    Last edited by marvin rouge; 03-15-2013 at 12:51 PM.