mtbr member
    Nov 2011

What does "EVO" signify?

What does "EVO" signify on the Specialized mountain bikes? Are "EVOs" more geared to certain aspects of mountain biking than others (downhill vs climbing)?

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Edcft View Post
    What does "EVO" signify on the Specialized mountain bikes? Are "EVOs" more geared to certain aspects of mountain biking than others (downhill vs climbing)?
    I thought that EVO indicated that there was more travel. So the Stumpjumper EVO has more travel than the Stumpjumper. Probably has a slacker HT. I think MBA had a write up about them this month at least it looked like it as I was glancing at it at the supermarket. AT least that is the case with the Stumpjumper, looks like the Epic is less clear.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    For the aluminum HT, the EVO just gives you more of an all-mountain set-up including longer travel fork (100mm), 1x10 gearing, wider front tire/beefier tires overall, wider/more agressive handlebar, and larger front rotor (180mm) when compared to the more racy standard Stumpjumper HT (the Comp 29). Its darn near the perfect HT for me. The comments I read said that Specialized basically took what customers were doing to their bikes aftermarket and just made the EVOs that way off the shelf. Note: the 15.5" EVO 29 HT has a 80mm fork so the front end isn't too jacked-up which would goof up the geo on the smaller frame size. Also, the fork doesn't have a tapered steerer (even though the frame has tapered headtube).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    For the aluminum HT, the EVO just gives you more of an all-mountain set-up including longer travel fork (100mm), 1x10 gearing, wider front tire/beefier tires overall, wider/more agressive handlebar, and larger front rotor (180mm) when compared to the more racy standard Stumpjumper HT (the Comp 29). Its darn near the perfect HT for me. The comments I read said that Specialized basically took what customers were doing to their bikes aftermarket and just made the EVOs that way off the shelf. Note: the 15.5" EVO 29 HT has a 80mm fork so the front end isn't too jacked-up which would goof up the geo on the smaller frame size. Also, the fork doesn't have a tapered steerer (even though the frame has tapered headtube).
    Well said...