Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    321

    What do you think about 650B vs 29er as a HT bike?

    I put this in the 650B and Yeti forums but am trying to get differing viewpoints. Keep in mind I am 5'6" and weigh 165. I currently own a Ventana EL Padrino HT 29er and a Ventana El Bastardo FS 650B. So I have both wheel sizes. Honestly I love both bikes. The Padrino is faster but the Bastardo is more comfortable and a tad more fun. So I don't really need a new bike but have been lusting after the Yeti ARC Carbon which in my size would be a 650B HT. A few people I have talked to have said to me that if I love my 29er HT why mess with 650B. The people I have talked to have said that 29er is meant as a great XC platform in HT and that there is no need to go 650B when looking at a HT. What say you guys? I am also lusting after a Pivot 429 Carbon FS bike but I think I am going to wait and see if in the next year or two they release a bike similar to the 429 but in 650B.

    I love my Bastardo and just traded a guy my 5.5" rockers for his 4" rockers because I don't need 5.5" travel here in Michigan. So I am turning my Bastardo into a 4" travel bike. My fork is 130mm but I also want a slacker HA and doing the swap will accomplish that as well. I really want a carbon bike and like the 650B wheel size so the Yeti ARC makes sense but just wondering how the 650B HT would be.

    Thanks,

    Chuck
    Last edited by procos; 05-02-2013 at 10:50 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rotten1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    256
    Would it be out of place to maybe suggest that you like what you have?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    114
    Would it be out of place to maybe suggest that you like what you have?
    /\ this x 11ty billion. No one can tell you what to like. If you like your 650b great. If you like your 29er, awesome.. Try the ARC.. if you like it buy it. If not, don't.. I'm 5'10. I have never ridden a 650 b. Don't know what I am missing so I can't give an informed opinion. I like my 29er for what the areas I ride. Good luck..

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by rotten1 View Post
    Would it be out of place to maybe suggest that you like what you have?
    Not at all. However I do enjoy what I have. What is wrong with buying more gear? If I have the money why not spend it on something I enjoy? Nothing wrong with keeping the bike companies in business. Sounds like a negative attitude coming from you. Not sure why.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by jarwes View Post
    /\ this x 11ty billion. No one can tell you what to like. If you like your 650b great. If you like your 29er, awesome.. Try the ARC.. if you like it buy it. If not, don't.. I'm 5'10. I have never ridden a 650 b. Don't know what I am missing so I can't give an informed opinion. I like my 29er for what the areas I ride. Good luck..
    Well first of all my local Yeti dealer doesn't have nor do they have any plans on getting an ARC in as a demo. So your suggestion on trying an ARC is not an option. I love when people suggest trying a bike before buying. My local dealers have very few demo bikes if any. So I am not sure why coming no a forum that is dedicated to mountain biking gets me so much flack when I am searching for answers. Man this board is full of crumudgeons. If you don't like my post why do you feel the need to come in with a negative attitude. I thought this forum was a place to discuss gear and the like. Man so glad I enjoy my life and don't feel the need to come on a forum with such a negative attitude. PFFFT
    Last edited by procos; 05-02-2013 at 10:16 PM.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,845
    If you have a hardtail you like, and a dually you like, and you MUST buy another bike, why not branch out and go freeride, or cyclocross/gravelgrinder, or dirtjump, roadbike, trials, bmx, unicycle... there's a lot of fun stuff out there that isn't just a near-duplicate of what you already have with 6% smaller wheels.

    -Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    If you have a hardtail you like, and a dually you like, and you MUST buy another bike, why not branch out and go freeride, or cyclocross/gravelgrinder, or dirtjump, roadbike, trials, bmx, unicycle... there's a lot of fun stuff out there that isn't just a near-duplicate of what you already have with 6% smaller wheels.

    -Walt
    That thought has crossed my mind. However I will never be a roadbiker. I have 3 young kids and think biking on roads is suicide. The only bike on your list that has any appeal to me is a cyclocross but like I said road biking doesn't appeal to me. I have also thought SS but I like gears. I know I don't need another bike but I like gear. What can I say.

    Also the ARC is carbon and the Padrino is aluminum. I have never owned a Carbon mountain bike and thought I'd give it a try. I guess I should have known better than to ask a question about a 650B bike on a 29er forum.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    81
    Ill take all this exta cash and spend it on a digi cam and some naked peoples so i can make a killer bike video

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,207
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    That thought has crossed my mind. However I will never be a roadbiker. I have 3 young kids and think biking on roads is suicide. The only bike on your list that has any appeal to me is a cyclocross but like I said road biking doesn't appeal to me. I have also thought SS but I like gears. I know I don't need another bike but I like gear. What can I say.

    Also the ARC is carbon and the Padrino is aluminum. I have never owned a Carbon mountain bike and thought I'd give it a try. I guess I should have known better than to ask a question about a 650B bike on a 29er forum.
    A carbon HT is a perfect addition to your line up since you don't have one. Heck u may never want to ride the aluminum HT again after going carbon :P And 650B would be a nice add for having that stiffer, lighter, and more playful wheelset.

  10. #10
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,965
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    Well first of all my local Yeti dealer doesn't have nor do they have any plans on getting an ARC in as a demo. So your suggestion on trying an ARC is not an option. I love when people suggest trying a bike before buying. My local dealers have very few demo bikes if any. So I am not sure why coming no a forum that is dedicated to mountain biking gets me so much flack when I am searching for answers. Man this board is full of crumudgeons. If you don't like my post why do you feel the need to come in with a negative attitude. I thought this forum was a place to discuss gear and the like. Man so glad I enjoy my life and don't feel the need to come on a forum with such a negative attitude. PFFFT
    I recently replaced a perfectly good Epic 29 with a new RM Altitude 790 MSL without a demo ride so I get wanting a light carbon 650 rig just because you want one and I get trusting people you know when it comes to bike choice but I don't see the responses you've been given as negative. You asked on a public message board and should have expected a variety of responses. To me, you come across as defensive and perhaps trying to justify a purchase you don't feel 100% good about making.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,038
    I know this is off the wall, but if I had money to blow on different bikes for fun, this would be at the top of the list just to have something different.
    BADASH 29er - Renovo Hardwood Bicycles
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: expatrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    570
    Curious as to why you (OP) think a hardtail in 650B wheels is an attractive option. Do you just want another hardtail of a different variety? If so, cool. But I can't really see any benefit of 650B hardtail over a 29er hardtail unless the geo on your 29er sucks for certain terrain or you feel like you are too short for a 29er (doesn't sound like it from your post). If you just want another bike, then that's cool, but seems like you are asking specifically about 650B hardtail, and I just don't see the point unless it's just the luxury of having something a little different. Would be interested to hear your point of view on this, as long as it isn't anything to do with Nino Schurter.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Curious as to why you (OP) think a hardtail in 650B wheels is an attractive option. Do you just want another hardtail of a different variety? If so, cool. But I can't really see any benefit of 650B hardtail over a 29er hardtail unless the geo on your 29er sucks for certain terrain or you feel like you are too short for a 29er (doesn't sound like it from your post). If you just want another bike, then that's cool, but seems like you are asking specifically about 650B hardtail, and I just don't see the point unless it's just the luxury of having something a little different. Would be interested to hear your point of view on this, as long as it isn't anything to do with Nino Schurter.
    I do enjoy my 29er HT especially on flats on uphills. However I don't feel it handles that well in tight turns or on tight corners. I find that with my 650B FS I can maneuver the bike much better in the turns. The 29er rolls super fast on the straightaways and climbs really well. However I think I might be giving to much up on the corners. And yes I'd like a different variety. I'll probably sell my HT 29er if I get the Yeti ARC but I know the resale on bikes is terrible.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I recently replaced a perfectly good Epic 29 with a new RM Altitude 790 MSL without a demo ride so I get wanting a light carbon 650 rig just because you want one and I get trusting people you know when it comes to bike choice but I don't see the responses you've been given as negative. You asked on a public message board and should have expected a variety of responses. To me, you come across as defensive and perhaps trying to justify a purchase you don't feel 100% good about making.
    Your point is well taken. However not sure how I could be defensive about a purchase I haven't made yet. Just asking questions.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    354
    I wish i had a stable of bikes to choose from Guy at my LBS has 650b HT and loves it so i'm sure you will be happy with it. If you ever get bored you can wire me some money so i can build up my collection lol..

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Osco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    74

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    OP I'm 6' tall and now 180Lbs so the Scott Aspect HT 29er was a super good fit/choice for me, I love it,,,, for,,, what I do, how and where I ride..

    I got Lucky and my LBS was not pushing certain bikes, they, mainly the Sales guy I got was a real MTB rider and put me on the best for me bike,,6 ft tall and 180.....

    As for you,,5'6" and 165,,,,,, If I was that size I'd pass on a 29er and without second a second thought go right to a 650b wheel size. IMO the best of both worlds you would have....

    In one of the Rags I have It was said best, something like,
    " The 29er does all the boring stuff better than the 26" and the 26" wheel size does all the fun stuff better than the 29er.......Note: Imma rookie not yet biased to anything or company.. My Only experience with a 26 Incher gave me a slower, harder to accelerate, harder to root hop ride, for me, my size and skill the 26 felt like a kids bike under me.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: expatrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    I do enjoy my 29er HT especially on flats on uphills. However I don't feel it handles that well in tight turns or on tight corners. I find that with my 650B FS I can maneuver the bike much better in the turns. The 29er rolls super fast on the straightaways and climbs really well. However I think I might be giving to much up on the corners. And yes I'd like a different variety. I'll probably sell my HT 29er if I get the Yeti ARC but I know the resale on bikes is terrible.
    I have dilemmas like this all the time. I think a lot of riders do. There are always other bikes that will be better in one respect or another, but weaker in other departments. If better cornering is the only reason you can think of to swap the 29er for a 650B HT, I still dont see the point unless all your rides are full of tight twisty stuff, in which case maybe look at a 29er with better geo. You know you would miss having the 29er for everything else, and you already have a FS bike which handles the tight trails better anyway. IDK, sounds like it could be an expensive mistake to me.

  18. #18
    120
    120 is offline
    Kicker of Elves
    Reputation: 120's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    427
    I have both 650b and 29". Both are SS, fully rigid with no front shocks, and have hard tails (that's for Sparty, inside joke kinda). Take what you can from this...I know you're not a SS'er.

    The 650b is my XC racing choice. Lighter and faster than the 29".
    The 29" is my choice for longer endurance type rides.
    The 650b is fast, the 29" is comfortable.

    If your current 29er is faster than your 650b then maybe the addition of the Yeti will serve you well.

    A word of caution though: I sold my 29er after building the 650. 6 months later I built another 29er because I missed the ride. For me the 29er says "I'm not tearing it up, but I'll be out here all day". The 650 is more "I only got a few hours so I've gotta hammer this ride out".

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by 120 View Post
    For me the 29er says "I'm not tearing it up, but I'll be out here all day". The 650 is more "I only got a few hours so I've gotta hammer this ride out".
    Well if that is the case than for me the 29er is overkill. I am never on a ride that last longer than 2 to 3 hours tops. I don't have the time or the trails where I live that would have be on my bike for longer than that. I have put my 29er up for sale and have decided if it sells I'll will order the Yeti ARC-C once they come available. If my 29er doesn't sell I'll just keep riding it.

Similar Threads

  1. 29er or 650b
    By bus3 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM
  2. Riding both 650B&29er vs. 26&29er
    By Nev in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 03:36 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2011, 10:58 AM
  4. 650b or 29er
    By westcoaster in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-17-2011, 08:33 PM
  5. 29er rigid fork on your 650B bike?
    By Entrenador in forum 27.5 - 650b
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 06:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •