mtbr member
    Oct 2010

What bikes should I look into?

I'm 6'2" 185 lbs and I live in the Colorado front range. I'm looking for a 100-120mm full suspension 29er. Something burly that will hold up, something that will climb well, and I don't like slack head angles. My current bike is a 2013 Stumperjumper EVO 29 (21' frame, 100mm fork, hardtail, 71* HA, 17.125" chain stays, 23.8" top tube and a 100mm stem) and I love the way it rides, I'm just taking to much of a beating on a hardtail out here on rocky terrain. I took delivery of the bike right before moving from Chicago to Colorado, it's the perfect midwest bike but 1x10 hardtail in Colorado is not ideal. I'm in no rush as I'm currently 5 weeks into a 20 week Ironman training plan, there wont be much dirt in my future till September. I'm going to try to demo stuff over this years riding season and then see about picking up a 2013 for cheap(er) once the season is winding down and the 2014's are coming out. Budget is around $5000 (at the high end) and I'd like to have 2x10 XO. Despite being a bit weary of carbon after having a hunk of **** Superfly that I repeatedly broke, I've never owned a full suspension bike before so I'm leaning towards carbon to save some weight.

The list so far is as follows

-Pivot Mach 429 carbon in large
    -Pivot Mach 429 aluminum in large
    -Devinci Atlas carbon in large
    -Ibis Ripley
    -Intense Spider 29
    -Niner RIP 9
    -Giant Anthem X
    -????

Any input as to what is a good fit for what I'm looking for?
    Last edited by Ryan The VW Tech; 05-12-2013 at 04:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Loving my Spider29, I ride the stuff around Boulder/Lyons mostly. I have been using the 4.75" travel setting and climbs really well and descends even better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    More burly means more trail oriented, more AM and more options with slacker than 71 head tube angles because it also implies more downhill speed than your XC geo is aimed at.
    You can re-evaluate head tube angles after some demos or put an angle set headset on one of these bikes and make your own trail.
    Rocky Mountain Element has 70.6.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Burly meaning not light weight fragile weight weenie parts. It has nothing to do with head angles. I basically want a 4"-5" trail bike with a steeper head angle. There are plenty of options for what I'm looking for, like the ones I've listed, I'm just trying to find more options that fit the requirements I have.

mtbr member
    all those are great choices
    I love my 429 aluminum. If you want to run a high volume tire in the rear don't get the 429 aluminum version(anything over 2.25). 429 Carbon has more clearance.
    BTW i'm exact same weight and height as you and i ride a large w/120mm fox 32
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member
    My Rip 9 keeps surprising me at how well it climbs and descends, I really like the suspension design.

mtbr member
    Try a Tallboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I would like to try a tallboy. I was just at a demo day where I got to ride a carbon 429, Yeti SB carbon (hated it) and I wanted to a ride the tallboy but they only had 1 person working Santa Cruz, I waited half an hour and had only moved up 3-4 spots in line with about 7-8 still ahead of me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino2412 View Post
    If you want to run a high volume tire in the rear don't get the 429 aluminum version(anything over 2.25).

BTW i'm exact same weight and height as you and i ride a large w/120mm fox 32
    That is very good info to have, thank you.

Out of curiosity why did you choose aluminum over carbon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan The VW Tech View Post
    I would like to try a tallboy. I was just at a demo day where I got to ride a carbon 429, Yeti SB carbon (hated it) and I wanted to a ride the tallboy but they only had 1 person working Santa Cruz, I waited half an hour and had only moved up 3-4 spots in line with about 7-8 still ahead of me.
    You should be able to find one in a LBS. I ride the LTc and love it. Wife has the 4" version and feels the same.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I ride the stuff around Boulder/Lyons mostly.

mtbr member
    5.25" travel Tallboy LT would do well there.

Carbon & Ti rule
    The new Rip9 or Rip9 RDO would be a top choice, They are one of the best pedaling bikes out there, Also much better than most for stiffness.

The Rip9's eat up the ruff so well & yet are still fast enough if you want to use it in a race as well.

For a do everything really well the Rip9 RDO just works.

I have a Pike fork coming for my RIP9 RDO around the end of the month so I will let you know how that goes as well.
    With the time frame you are looking at the XO 1x11 might be out by then & would be well worth a look.

Good luck with the Ironman training, I know all to well how tuff that is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    All the bikes on your list are demo'able at local shops - Im referring to Denver at this point as I dont know about Boulder but expect there as well - PM me and I will hit you with a list if you want some quick intel on any

mtbr member
    That is very good info to have, thank you.

Out of curiosity why did you choose aluminum over carbon?
    Price mostly, and there isn't a huge weight difference between the two.
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

NedwannaB
    I'm 6'2" 185 lbs and I live in the Colorado front range. I'm looking for a 100-120mm full suspension 29er. Something burly that will hold up, something that will climb well, and I don't like slack head angles. My current bike is a 2013 Stumperjumper EVO 29 (21' frame, 100mm fork, hardtail, 71* HA, 17.125" chain stays, 23.8" top tube and a 100mm stem) and I love the way it rides, I'm just taking to much of a beating on a hardtail out here on rocky terrain. I took delivery of the bike right before moving from Chicago to Colorado, it's the perfect midwest bike but 1x10 hardtail in Colorado is not ideal. I'm in no rush as I'm currently 5 weeks into a 20 week Ironman training plan, there wont be much dirt in my future till September. I'm going to try to demo stuff over this years riding season and then see about picking up a 2013 for cheap(er) once the season is winding down and the 2014's are coming out. Budget is around $5000 (at the high end) and I'd like to have 2x10 XO. Despite being a bit weary of carbon after having a hunk of **** Superfly that I repeatedly broke, I've never owned a full suspension bike before so I'm leaning towards carbon to save some weight.

The list so far is as follows

-Pivot Mach 429 carbon in large
    -Pivot Mach 429 aluminum in large
    -Devinci Atlas carbon in large
    -Ibis Ripley
    -Intense Spider 29
    -Niner RIP 9
    -Giant Anthem X
    -????

Any input as to what is a good fit for what I'm looking for?
    With your previous HT and Tri sport backround, sounds more like a SC TBc to me. Although the LTc would give you that little bit more of an edge on the chunkier things the FR will dish out, only you what kind of riding you like and may not need it. The reg TB geo is designed around 100-120mm forks and you could always go that route.

I'm looking at the alum version myself(domestic budget reasons....)and will most likely put on a set of the less expensive Roval carbon wheels later on.
    Last edited by JMac47; 05-14-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: more info
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....