mtbr member
    Feb 2009

What bike for 24 hours of Moab.....HT 29er or full squish 29er?

Would you guys go hardtail 29er or full susser 29er for 24 hours of Moab? Thinking Santa Cruz Highball or Specialized Epic 29er. Any recommendations?

Did Leadville twice on a Niner air 9 scandium and it was fine, but Leadville isn't a very technical course.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Moab is not a technical course( unless they have changed it since 2002??) I rode it on a 26 FS bike,but a 29er HT would be my choice if I were to do it again. LOTS of sand and some rocky areas, but not too "technical" per say. Did I mention LOTS of sand. I was actually thankful to have the FS when werode the slickrock trail the day before, but for the race itself, a Hardtail would be just fine. UNLESS...you are doing it solo? Then I might opt for the FS bike since it will be a little easier on the body in the latter stages of the race.Oh, and by the way... There is LOTS of sand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasfast View Post
    Moab is not a technical course( unless they have changed it since 2002??) I rode it on a 26 FS bike,but a 29er HT would be my choice if I were to do it again. LOTS of sand and some rocky areas, but not too "technical" per say. Did I mention LOTS of sand. I was actually thankful to have the FS when werode the slickrock trail the day before, but for the race itself, a Hardtail would be just fine. UNLESS...you are doing it solo? Then I might opt for the FS bike since it will be a little easier on the body in the latter stages of the race.Oh, and by the way... There is LOTS of sand.

ditto
    so my afro now sticks out of my helmet.

mtbr member
    Full suspension fat bike is the only answer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Full suspension fat bike is the only answer.
    Thanks for the info gang. If you went hard tail would you run a higher volume tire because of all the sand? Like a 2.4 Nobby Nick?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yes on the Knobby nicks plus it will eliminate the need for full squish on rougher trails with the higher volume.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

I *never* race full suspension bikes...

...except at Moab. The course is not "technical" per se, but it is very rough and after a few laps, you will be very happy to be able to sit and pedal up the ledgy rocks rather than trying to get out of the saddle every time. If you're on a very slow team and only expect to do 1 or 2, it doesn't matter. If you're competitive and/or racing solo or duo, FS is really the best option if you have one.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Your Best Friend
    I've done Moab the last 4 years. The last three have been on a mix of 29er FS and HT. My fastest lap was on the FS but I was in the best shape of my life that year. Last year I did the daylight laps on the HT and the night laps on the FS. Moab is a technical course. Yes, there is a lot of sand but there are plenty of tough and rocky areas. Pre-riding the course is just about mandatory so you can identify the best lines. You'll be fine on either bike but the Epic should work great. It'd be my choice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I guess "technical" is in the eye of the beholder. I did not find it technical at all,but my local trails are very rocky, tight and steep sooo...

Bite Me.
    In daylight I would not call it technical. In the dark, the stuff that is not double track can be challenging. Then there's Nosedive. I was really happy to have a full suspension XC bike after dark, but lots of folks do it HT. And yes, sandy b!tch.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    If you're not 100% committed to the HT, I'd go with the FS. As you get tired to the end you're extremely unlikely to be standing & attacking the climbs ;-) so being able to sit and spin and have a bike that will protect your back and bum from the rocky sections, even if only required on parts of the lap, I find helps my head/morale as much as it helps my physical comfort and ability to keep pushing on the pedals. This may make as much difference to your speed and will to push on, as whether the bike is ultimately faster.