mtbr member
    Nov 2006

what about weight

I'm mostly interested in XC riding but any info will be appreciated. The new Salsa Gordo rim got me wondering about weight on a bike, on a motorcycle the lower the weight the better, what about a mt bike? Is a heavier rim low weight? It's rotating. If a rider isn't doing all mountain, is there a benefit in a stronger, wider, heavier rim, or are other options sufficient? What about weight in general? My Pivot 429 "feels" faster than my Leviathan but is 2 or 3 lbs heavier. So much is made of weight, what's the real deal?

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Maheoway
    I'm mostly interested in XC riding but any info will be appreciated. The new Salsa Gordo rim got me wondering about weight on a bike, on a motorcycle the lower the weight the better, what about a mt bike? Is a heavier rim low weight? It's rotating. If a rider isn't doing all mountain, is there a benefit in a stronger, wider, heavier rim, or are other options sufficient? What about weight in general? My Pivot 429 "feels" faster than my Leviathan but is 2 or 3 lbs heavier. So much is made of weight, what's the real deal?
    My XL Monk has a HD AM build & it tips the scales at 32-36 pounds depending on wheels/tires. But it is really fun on both the up and down, so I don't mind too much. Heavy rims have advantages as long as you are not heading out on a long epic ride. For example with my 800+g KH rimmed wheelset and heavy tires my bike has massive momentum on the short ups of a rolling trail so that I often have to hit the brakes to avoid running over a rider in front of me who is pedaling while I am not. Wide rims really support your sidewalls much better than skinny ones and add a bunch of volume & tread width also.

The above being said, I'd like it to weigh about one pound, if it were lighter than air it would float away when I got off of it...
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I took the cheap route when buying my first 29er.
    It is the heaviest bike that I've ever owned but it is the best bike that I've ever owned.
    It totally revealed the myth of lightness to me.
    It simply rides better over the rough ground and it is not only the 29" wheels that account for this, it is also it's extra mass.
    I never wish for crabon fibre, titanium, thu-axles, G2, Fox forx, rear supension, long travel, tubelessness, Crossmax, 20 tooth chainrings, etc.
    For the first time I am completely happy with a bike.