Thread: What is a 29er?

mtbr member
    May 2007

What is a 29er?

I'm fairly new to these boards..... ive posted a few questions here and there.... always by-passing this one.... what on earth is a 29er???? I'm thinking tire size? If so, why the need to have a special forum on it?

Cheers
    2007 Specialized
    FSR XC COMP

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    I'm fairly new to these boards..... ive posted a few questions here and there.... always by-passing this one.... what on earth is a 29er???? I'm thinking tire size? If so, why the need to have a special forum on it?

Cheers
    Upper right hand corner of this page shows you a link to the FAQ where your "what on earth is a 29er" question is addressed.

Here is an example from the FAQ...

Question: At the most basic level, what is a 29er? How is it different from “regular” mountain bikes?

Answer: Good question. At the most basic level, a “29er” refers to a mountain bike with a larger rim than a “traditional or regular” mountain bike. The “29” is actually a bit of a misnomer, as it refers to the approximate diameter of the entire wheel (with a tire mounted), whereas a regular mtb is approximately 26” in diameter. To be more specific about rim size, the 29er uses rims of the exact diameter of a “regular” road bike rim also referred to as “700c.” Continue to thumb through our FAQ section to learn all about the nuances of 29er frames, wheels, rims, forks, fads/fashions/paradigm’s, geometries, parts, where to shop, brands available, availabilities, and the like.

Original 29"er tire was the WTB Nanoraptor which is still a favorite today for its volume, weight, performance and speed.

BB

banned
    The mere question means that you are done. It's all over. You will keep reading and reading... next thing you know you will have some cheap, rigid 29er.... probably a singlespeed...

Next, the 07 Specialized will just sit and sit while you ride your 500 dollar bike. You will sell the Specialized without much thought.

Then comes the FS29er. Get out the credit cards. You have no choice. Just add a little more sugar to the grape Kool-Aid and continue down the path of the chosen one.

Recovering couch patato
    Ha, were you ever sorry you asked a question! :-)
    It's like accepting a sniff of coke, you're in trouble now!

Identical question a few lines down the forum. Searching is worth it :-)

highly visible
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Someone who can't bear to hit 30

Like the Peter Pan principal or a younger version of Jack Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

popping

people may be sick of seeing this question but this is my first post my rockhopper is popping in the crank area it just started this morning and is only on light pedels if i pedel hard it goes away i have lubed seat post swapped pedels and cleaned and lubed chain but i cannot find specs. on bb tightening or preload

808+909 = Party Good Time
    yeah the fact you asked means you will buy one... seriously you might need nail your wallet to the bench for asking that question...

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stouttech
    people may be sick of seeing this question but this is my first post my rockhopper is popping in the crank area it just started this morning and is only on light pedels if i pedel hard it goes away i have lubed seat post swapped pedels and cleaned and lubed chain but i cannot find specs. on bb tightening or preload

i am going to say that aside from this being in the wrong forum, what you need to do is get your bottom bracket serviced. Either get the tool from a bike shop to pull your cranks and to pull the BB and clean and lube the sucker or get a shop to do it for you.

You can post this in the drivetrain forum for a more involved answer and I recommend checking out the tutorials on park tools website repair section
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I thought it was the new wheel size rappers and ballers were putting on their escalades!