Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Weird finish on Monkeylite XC Carbon Handlebar...

3K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Schultz29 
#1 ·
Before I send the following pics to Easton, thought I would poll the community here as Monkeylites are a pretty common carbon mtb handlebar and no doubt quite a few here have these bars.

These are brand new and just installed on my 29er...purchased from Jensenusa.com. The finish is very inconsistent and wonder if it is typical or an odd aesthetic that Easton is going for and normal?

Thanks for any advice from those that know these bars. Please let me know if the finish is flawed or normal.

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought some Jenson as well and they looked exactly the same. I never had any problems with them either. I'm now running a Crank Bros Cobalt 11 and the finish is perfect in every way.

#7 ·
I have 2 of these bars. It's a typical appearance for "newer" Easton bars. I assume they use a different carbon lay-up technique than other manufacturers? I actually prefer the look of Easton bars over others. I have been using their bars from carbon to aluminum for over 10 years now. The bend and sweep just feel right to me.

#9 ·
Thanks a lot for the confirmation. Wasn't expecting perfect carbon weave and point taken.
I have had a lot of bike parts and many made out of carbon. These bars look weird and to the uninitiated (me) defective. I figured it may even be normal but had to ask because I have never seen such an inconsistent finish on any bike part. It really looks looks like the bar was patch painted in the front as a backdrop for the decals...or the bar was gel coated in front only with a pretty noticable line running along the top of the bars as shown in the pics. Since the weave isn't consistent, or maybe the decals when applied wouldn't play nice with the natural carbon...why Easton doesn't make the finish more uniform is hard to fathom. I haven't seen another carbon bar like these.
Thanks everybody.

#10 ·
Im pretty sure I read that they added "carbon nano fibers" to the mix several years ago
if so they would have probably added them to the resin which would account for the uneven finish, Ive had mine for several years no problems just make sure you use a torque wrench to tighten everything associated with the bars

#11 ·
Thanks Dan.
I did use a torque wrench...went with 5 N-m. Yup...familar with the carbon nano fibers. The bar looks pretty uniform away from the logos....kind of a milky and random finish. Its where the logos are placed...maybe the gel coat for the logos that changes the gloss level..which makes for a noticable contrast in finish...an odd aesthetic for so called 'normal.'. These bars get great reviews and if we get out of the sub arctic temps where I live, will give the a whirl. :) I will simply have to change my viewpoint of them. :)

#15 ·
SlowPokePete said:
I have the Easton's too and I think they look COOL.

SPP
Pete, I am learning the bar is fine thanks to all that responded. Its my perception that has to change.
As Dr. Wayne Dyer teachs...change the way you look at things around you and the things around you will change. Life's a whole lot easier with this view.

#16 ·
highdelll said:
That bar is for a 26er
I didn't know there was 29er and 26" specific bars.

I have the same CNT Bars, Its uni-directional carbon, and when it press-molded and cures it may show wrinkles or bonded locations on the carbon. It is purely cosmetic and nothing to worry about, those bars are hella strong!!!

#17 ·
dubdryver said:
I didn't know there was 29er and 26" specific bars.

I have the same CNT Bars, Its uni-directional carbon, and when it press-molded and cures it may show wrinkles or bonded locations on the carbon. It is purely cosmetic and nothing to worry about, those bars are hella strong!!!
Not much give to them to be sure...a good thing with a suspension fork. Consensus is they have good vibration damping however in spite of being stiff based upon a lot of reviews I have read. Also, can't beat the price...very traditional specs with 8 deg backsweep and 4 deg upsweep and ample rise in the hi rise version. Easton makes great bars to be sure.
Gotta love this forum to compare notes with everybody....Thanks.

#26 ·
I have one of each..I agree the new finish appears un-carbon-like, but I am sure functionality is the same

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.