Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: weight

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

weight

You guys probably get this question a lot, but is 27 and 1/2 pounds 29er bike considered a reasonably light weight bike for a guy like me? It has an aluminum frame and I weigh about 150 pound. I bench press 185 pounds 10 times, so I can't tell what is considered "light." This is my first mountain bike that I just bought.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by william_s View Post
    You guys probably get this question a lot, but is 27 and 1/2 pounds 29er bike considered a reasonably light weight bike for a guy like me? It has an aluminum frame and I weigh about 150 pound. I bench press 185 pounds 10 times, so I can't tell what is considered "light." This is my first mountain bike that I just bought.
    I'd call that a "middle weight" for an XC 29"er bike. 21-25 pounds would be more in the lighter weight category. 29-31 pounds is pretty standard for a stock, more entry level and lower priced 29"er. Now if you want to run one gear, a carbon frame, a carbon fork and weight weenie parts - sub 20 is more the norm.

Ride it and enjoy it.

BB

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    We need a little more info, what you bench press is pretty irrelevant to me though. Is the bike full suspension? Is it a hard tail? What did you pay for it? What size is the bike? So far it sounds like you're on the short side height wise, so if this bike is 15" or smaller than it's a bit on the upper to mid weight range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks. I asked the bike shop guy to pick me out a mountain bike in my price range and he said that the 2013 Marin Palisades trail 29er bike was a good entry level bike for me. It has a 17 inch frame and is a hardtail for listed price of $1,399. He had me pick it up, and I thought it felt so light. Then he had me pick up a 29er bike that had a carbon frame and I was shocked how even more light that was, but it was way out of my price range, though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Average weight is good for me right now. I just don't want to have the feeling that I'm riding a too heavy of a bike up a hill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks. I asked the bike shop guy to pick me out a mountain bike in my price range and he said that the 2013 Marin Palisades trail 29er bike was a good entry level bike for me. It has a 17 inch frame and is a hardtail for listed price of $1,399. He had me pick it up, and I thought it felt so light. Then he had me pick up a 29er bike that had a carbon frame and I was shocked how even more light that was, but it was way out of my price range, though.

I bought a 2012 Marin Palisades trail 29er this summer. It's my 1st 29er...it's a good bike...climbs well...I like it. Get out there and have fun!!!

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    DYEL?

I'd say 27 pounds falls within in that price range nicely. But to be honest, just go out there and ride it. That's the best thing you could do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If your racing 27 1/2 lbs is heavy.
    If your trail riding 27 1/2 lbs is perfect.

MTB B'dos
    27.5lbs for a $1300 bike, nope, that's damn reasonable, actually really decent, think my XT built Paradox weighs somewhere in that range with 700-800g tyres and it sure didn't cost that.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    27lbs is norm. My 20 years old 26 rigid, cromo steel, mtb is 24lbs, no shocks, no disk brakes.
    So adding 3 lbs for bigger wheels, disk brakes, and shocks, is awesome.
    My 29er is about 26 to 27lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I bench press 185 pounds 10 times, so I can't tell what is considered "light." This is my first mountain bike that I just bought.
    Since you are so swoll up, why do you care?
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Is it a hardtail, full-suspension? 27 for a full suspension is damn light, for a hardtail it depends on the price. Bench pressing wont have much effect on how well you ride a bike. lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Lol, I'm not swol, I weigh 150 pounds at 5 foot 7 inches. Normal looking. But I sometimes think of myself as one of those CIA agents.. Normal looking but deadly lol. The reality is that on my first ride there was an overweight guy and a skinny guy, and they honestly left me in the dust. Lol, I was totally huffing and puffing up the hill. Nice guys though. Just like Bird said, lighter is faster. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't have an unnecessarily heavy bike trying to climb the hill, and for some reason I trust you guys telling me the truth. It's all good. It's funny, another bike shop guy told me that no matter how good a bike I bought, an experienced mountain biker would leave me in the dust riding a cheap department store bike. I think he's right, lol.

mtbr member
    What's happening is overweight guy is in better biking shape than you at the moment. I have been burned by plenty of beer-bellied trail ninjas. If he has been building up leg strength and endurance for years he is still gonna still be good even with the beer belly. Don't be fooled just cause a dude looks overweight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Is all about cradeo and get in shape. After like 3to 4 rides u will noted that u get better....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    27#'s is great for the price and a hardtail will maximize energy transfer. Sounds like a good deal.

Don't let the need to eat racer builds fool you, racer guys that look like they can't bench press their carbon race rigs are crazy fast. Different sports,different muscle recruitment demands and training strategies. Conversely, people that look to heavy to be fast can amaze you now and then. I digress.

Enjoy your new bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    See how many reps you can get with 27.5lbs and report back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I'd call that a "middle weight" for an XC 29"er bike. 21-25 pounds would be more in the lighter weight category. 29-31 pounds is pretty standard for a stock, more entry level and lower priced 29"er. Now if you want to run one gear, a carbon frame, a carbon fork and weight weenie parts - sub 20 is more the norm.

Ride it and enjoy it.

BB
    You can't quote numbers like this since there are so many variables, the biggest one being HT or FS. For a HT, your numbers are pretty good. For FS, not so much. An entry level FS is going to come in at more then 31 pounds. Depending on the bike, a higher end FS can come in at 29 pounds; the Pivot Mach 429 isn't an entry level bike and for an XT bike in 2010 came in at a hair over 29.

Sub 20? Not on a FS! 21-25 puts you in the mid to high range 29er HT.

This is my first mountain bike that I just bought.
    Key statement right there. Ride your first mountain bike so you can develop your tastes for what you want in a bike. THEN worry about weight on your next bike.

Normal looking. But I sometimes think of myself as one of those CIA agents.. Normal looking but deadly lol.
    WFT?

If you think of yourself as deadly on a bike, you better get working to beat the overweight guys or your statement will actually be as lame as it sounded.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I have seen sub 20 lbs all rigid carbon bikes. I wouldn't ride a toothpick like those on my trails.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    You can't quote numbers like this since there are so many variables, the biggest one being HT or FS. For a HT, your numbers are pretty good. For FS, not so much. An entry level FS is going to come in at more then 31 pounds. Depending on the bike, a higher end FS can come in at 29 pounds; the Pivot Mach 429 isn't an entry level bike and for an XT bike in 2010 came in at a hair over 29.

Sub 20? Not on a FS! 21-25 puts you in the mid to high range 29er HT.
    Yes, there are a lot of variables, but I read between the lines. First mountain bike, aluminum frame, etc...and I was pretty sure he was talking about a HT.

As it turns out, he was specifically talking about this bike: 2013 Marin Palisades trail 29er bike

So all is well.

And my sub 20 quote was rather specific what I was talking about:

Now if you want to run one gear, a carbon frame, a carbon fork and weight weenie parts - sub 20 is more the norm.

Not sure how anyone would misconstrue that as a full suspension.

BB

mtbr member
    Not misconstruing it... just pointing out that without specifying, someone - especially a new rider - might think a sub 20 pound FS 29er is feasible.

I mean, I suppose it is, but certainly not with a mere mortal's bank account!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    If your racing 27 1/2 lbs is heavy.
    If your trail riding 27 1/2 lbs is perfect.
    For ref: SC Tallboy LTc SPX (XT) comes in at 27 and change. List price is $5800.

Also, bench press won't help much with climbing. Squats might be a better indicator.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Not misconstruing it... just pointing out that without specifying, someone - especially a new rider - might think a sub 20 pound FS 29er is feasible.

I mean, I suppose it is, but certainly not with a mere mortal's bank account!
    $$$ per gram are not worth it at that point.

Robtre
    I would classify myself as a beer bellied trail ninja! I ride pretty fast for a 230lb 6'5" 36 y/o dude. I don't do any other exercise. My bike is an XXL 22" Jabberwocky singlespeed and I prefer it being a bit heavier for stability/rigidity. My bike weighs 26.5lbs currently with lighter tires. My riding buddy is new to mountain biking but he is a triathlete. He also rides a steel singlespeed. He is in much better shape than me but I can dust him on the trails only because my skills are sharpened. If there is any kind of flat straight away he always catches and passes me until we get back into the woods. Ride your bike a lot for at least a year then you will have a good baseline of knowledge for what you like and what you want.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    I would classify myself as a beer bellied trail ninja! I ride pretty fast for a 230lb 6'5" 36 y/o dude. I don't do any other exercise. My bike is an XXL 22" Jabberwocky singlespeed and I prefer it being a bit heavier for stability/rigidity. My bike weighs 26.5lbs currently with lighter tires. My riding buddy is new to mountain biking but he is a triathlete. He also rides a steel singlespeed. He is in much better shape than me but I can dust him on the trails only because my skills are sharpened. If there is any kind of flat straight away he always catches and passes me until we get back into the woods. Ride your bike a lot for at least a year then you will have a good baseline of knowledge for what you like and what you want.
    26 lbs is pretty light for a mountain bike. But I guess maybe average for a SS. I took a friend of mine biking who recently ran a 26 mile marathon (something I could never do as I hate running) and she had a heck of a time keeping up. I am sure with time she could smoke me but 8 years of building endurance and climbing skills kept me up front....for the time being.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast