mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Wanted: '12 Moots Mooto X Ybb 19" or FUNK La Ruta Large frame or complete bike

I know its a long shot but I figured I give it a whirl here first...Here is what I'm looking for in order of preference...

1) Funk Cycles La Ruta frame ( or complete bike) frame size large.

2) 2012 MOOTS w/ taper headtube press-in BB 29er frame ( maybe headset/fork too) in a 19", I'm open to buying a complete bike too

3) Castallano designs 19"(ish) Silk-Ti. maybe.

Here is the story...

I built up my first 29er in april 2011, a Moots Mooto XZ dualie. I've managed to get total bike weight down to 26.5 lbs w/ pedals. Its the BEST bike I have ever owned. previous to the Moots I was an Ibis Ti nut and my 26" silk-ti was my favorite.

The guys I'm riding with now are all on sub 22 lb carbon race 29ers. I'd like to drop some weight with a titanium softtail as I'm no fan of carbon. My first ride was a Bontrager race lite, so I can ride a hardtail too.

I almost had Castallano build me a silkie last winter but we couldn't come to agreement on dimensions and the price......
    Last edited by bowtiguy; 05-21-2012 at 11:18 AM.

The Duuude, man...
    details please?

I assume the price is what the price is... ?

Design wise, I'd assume they'd accomodate whatever is possible within the range of what's technically necessary (example, no 6" travel on a pivotless softail)?

Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtiguy View Post
    I almost had Castallano build me a silkie last winter but we couln't come to agreement on dimensions and the price......
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01 View Post
    details please?

I assume the price is what the price is... ?

Design wise, I'd assume they'd accomodate whatever is possible within the range of what's technically necessary (example, no 6" travel on a pivotless softail)?

Curious.
    mostly just poor customer service. delayed e-mails, no website updates. I provided exact frame dimensions ( currently my moots19" frame) and said I'd like to stay as close to them as possible given the overall design of the silk 29....what I got back was a proposed17.5" frame build which is what both my Ibis Bow-ti and silk-ti were. both were too small for me.

The price was just a bit steep at $3995..thus the I just couldn't justify it and he wouldn't agree to stand behind his propsed frame fit.

I really like my MXZ ( except the weight) I'll be test riding a Funk La Ruta soon ( local boys) and may end up with the best of both worlds very soon.

The Duuude, man...
    ah.. that always amazes me how often mad skills don't mix with common-business-sense....

:-)

I've long lusted for a silk ti since my ibis ripley days (the real riply, not the abomination that's out there now).

I also feel like Jonny C missed the boat by not offering a 29er-Fango... that woulda been hot cakes.
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    May 2009

If you guys are interested

I've got a Silk Ti that I just broke down to sell. It's a 26er so it might not be your cup of tea but if you're interested let me know. I'd also be down for some sort of trade for an MXZ

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Moots are sweet as honey View Post
    I've got a Silk Ti that I just broke down to sell. It's a 26er so it might not be your cup of tea but if you're interested let me know. I'd also be down for some sort of trade for an MXZ
    I sold my silkti ( and my bowti) after buying the MXZ. I'm going to Demo the Funk on tuesday then the 12' MX YBB on thursday before packing up the MXZ for a trip to Kauai.

Before the MXZ, my silkie was my favorite ride, If you like 26ers...there is no better frame IMHO.

Lately I find that I'm riding in propedal mode at the stiffest level (3) and rarely unlock the rear shock on the MXZ. Thats why I think I could live with a 29er Ti softie or maybe even a "gasp" Ti 29er hardtail.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    hey bowtiguy, you've got great taste

have you tried to get in touch with brendan at siren bicycles? he makes a model called the song, and he is building with ti now too.

this dude has some mad skill and would probably build you a tapered ht, titanium song. or, even a fs bike with a pivotless chainstay.

i have met brendan before, great guy. i think he will proabably build my next bike, if i ever "need" it. a deda fire tubed aluminum 29er with a 44mm ht, pf30 shell and carbon seat tube mast....

check 'em out here;
    Siren Bicycles LLC: High Performance Mountain Bikes Handcrafted in Idyllwild, California

and check out his "special projects" page
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Got a chance to test ride the MootoX YBB during a local dealers DEMO day with the moots van. Wow, I expected a lot more rear lateral movement in the round style lower chain stays, but that wasn't the case. The taper head-set felt stiffer than my current ride too.

steering was a touch more twitchy ( precise) than my MXZ and the bike handled speed well down the decents of green mountain. I got a little over my head on one particular fast downhill/switch back area and the bike railed the corners...thought I was going logging.

3-4 lbs lighter than the MXZ was definately felt too.....Now I just need to hook up with the Funk Cycle guys for a ride on the La Ruta.

JsR
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kinda large LaRuta - 24.6" TT, 17.5" total ST, 70* HA, 74* SA.
    Doesn't see as much trail time, riding the HT and SS most of the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JsR View Post
    Kinda large LaRuta - 24.6" TT, 17.5" total ST, 70* HA, 74* SA.
    Doesn't see as much trail time, riding the HT and SS most of the time.
    Go ahead and PM ( private message) me some pics, details of the build and asking price along with location. I tried to PM you but your account is not set up to accept PM's.

-=MIke

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I bit the bug and ordered the MOOTS Mooto X YBB today. Got a great package deal including tapered fork, so the MOOTS MXZ frame is up for sale....

Parts available with the bare frame include...

1) 2012 Fox Terralogic 100mm fork ( 6 months old)
    2) MOOTS Titanium layback 27.2mm X 340mm post
    3) MOOTS Titanium open trail 110mm stem (red)
    4) Salsa flip lock seat post clamp (red)
    5) Chris king 1 and1/8" headset (red)
    6) Chris king MTN bottom bracket , 2 months old (red)

I can put any kind of package together you are looking for with the above parts....

Feb 2010
    I'm interested in both the large La Ruta and Moots MXZ frames. Please PM me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cratercraver View Post
    I'm interested in both the large La Ruta and Moots MXZ frames. Please PM me.
    Contact info sent via pm on MOOTS MXZ frame and components available with it.