mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Want screaming deal on Trek RUmblefish Pro

I'd like to get a full suspension bike. I have one rule when buying bikes though - in order for me to love a bike, I have to get a screaming deal on it. I bought a Cannondale hardtail, new, for 33% off normal price last summer. Love the bike.

What is the trick for getting a screaming deal on Trek? I heard the Rumblefish will be retired, so I expect they will do closeout prices at some point. I talked to my LBS, who would love to sell me a bike, but they are firm on pricing. $4100. I'd like to get it for $3000 or so.

Any ideas or suggestions?

mtbr member

Re: Want screaming deal on Trek RUmblefish Pro

Previously owned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    The wheelsize argument is not a "hydraulic vs cable brake" argument, its a "formula vs shimano brake" argument.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Two bikes ago I got a screaming deal on an aluminum Epic Marathon when their carbon bike came out. Last year I wanted a Rumblefish for more technical trails and ABP, DRCV, stiff frame, double thru axles and G2 didn't hurt. Trek supports IMBA and Trips for Kids chapters. I happily paid list to support their policies and for building a killer bike!
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I want a pony.

OSCMTB
    Get a job at a bike shop.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wait til january 1st and got to a trek super store in your area and buy any last yr model left

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Join a shop's team if they offer team discounts. If you place well in races you can develop a relationship with the shop where they offer a grassroots sponsorship that lets you prodeal stuff directly from Trek. Most importantly, don't be a schmuck and demand or insist on a deal! Even if you get a deep discount by hardballing you won't be respected or receive the same friendly service or occasional hookups.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Try a bike shop in a nice Jewish community.

MTB B'dos
    I want a Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by cycling_engineer View Post
    I'd like to get a full suspension bike. I have one rule when buying bikes though - in order for me to love a bike, I have to get a screaming deal on it. I bought a Cannondale hardtail, new, for 33% off normal price last summer. Love the bike.

What is the trick for getting a screaming deal on Trek? I heard the Rumblefish will be retired, so I expect they will do closeout prices at some point. I talked to my LBS, who would love to sell me a bike, but they are firm on pricing. $4100. I'd like to get it for $3000 or so.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You're going have to wait it out. With the Fuel Ex out in 29er, those Rumble fish are going to be hard to move, and deals will be had when the shops holding them have to sit on them for a while.

mtbr member
    LOL. You come off as a jerk, OP. For real.

I hate that name.
    Wait and hope that a shop is willing to give one away. $3k is only slightly more than dealer cost.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

AZ
    banned

I'd like to get it for $3000 or so.

Que?

Always in the wrong gear
    I know a couple people with Rumblefish' they might sell. But, If you want a screaming deal, do a build.

mtbr member
    That's kind of odd, I find that most bikes I buy just because they were a really good deal... don't last that long before I unload them. If you're not willing to pay full price, maybe you don't really want it (not that I've completely taken this to heart, but I'm trying)

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Yep...your "screaming deal" is gonna come buying a frame gently used, and building it up entirely of parts you hand-select yourself.

I wanted a Trek Superfly 100 so bad - but was not gonna pay the $5400+ for it. I scoured classifieds daily, on eBay, MTBR, Pinkbike, Yakaz and in every major metropolitan US city, via Craigslist...until I found my screamer(new, unbuilt 2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro carbon + Rock Shox Reba XX G2 fork, for $1500/shipped). Another $1900 in new/used parts later....I now have a $7200 MSRP bike, for just under $3500. Now, I'm screaming all the way to the trailhead.....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Don't know where you live or what size you ride but I just picked up a today for 2899.99+ tax from Jax bicycles in Southern California. They have one more in size 19.5.

GL