Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Vuelta wheel warranty: pretty much WORTHLESS

I bought a Motobecane Team Fly Ti 29er in April 2011, and absolutely love the bike. The bike came with Vuelta Team SL wheels.

9 days ago, I somehow managed to bend the front wheel. To this day, I'm still not sure how it happened. I didn't wipe out, or run over some large boulder. I did save mayself from falling (leaned a little to far) and anyway, noticed that the wheel was bent severely - say wobbling approx. 1cm off center.

I contacted Bikesdirect (great to deal with) to see if there was any warranty on the wheel. They then referred me to BikeIsland as the "largest distributor of Vuelta wheels" in the US. Note that there is a no fault warranty at the vuelta website (Vuelta XRP Wheels) and quoting from the site, this is what it says "No Fault replacement: Original owners with proof of purchase are eligible for crash replacement of any Vuelta wheel at a 75% discount off MSRP."

So Jeff at BikeIsland offers me $150 to replace the front wheel, shipping included. So assuming the shipping is $30, the cost for the wheel is $120. And at 75% off MSRP, that means the MSRP for the Vuelta $480. Jeff also informed me the MSRP for the wheelset is $850 (which is fine because manufacturers can suggest whatever they want), but if $850 is the MSRP for the wheelset, and by doing the math, the front wheel is $480, that means the back wheel is $370. Anyone ever heard of a back wheel being cheaper than the front wheel?

Sigh... Anyway, the wheel was fine while it lasted. It was actually relalively light. I weigh 145 by the way (with camelback and clothing and shoes, maybe 152?) so I'm not a super heavy guy putting undue stress on the wheels. And I'm not good enough to go on trails with super high drops...

Just wanted to make sure people who are considering Vuelta wheels - buy at your own risk. They are priced quite reasonably, but don't expect any warranties.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    And here I thought they only inflated their MSRP to create the illusion of a deal on their bikes. I never would have thought that it helped them protect against warranty/replacement claims.

I guess that's why I don't make a living screwing people over.

mtbr member
    for extra $100 you get Stan's,

I have your bike too, but when I bought it I pretty much accepted that executing warranty clauses will be a huge hassle

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by unagidon View Post

Just wanted to make sure people who are considering Vuelta wheels - buy at your own risk. They are priced quite reasonably, but don't expect any warranties.
    I don't think anyone buys them separate from a bikes direct bike.

But wheels don't just bend themselves. Just because you don't remember what you hit doesn't make it a defect.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post

I guess that's why I don't make a living screwing people over.
    Yep - them not giving him a free wheel that he bent is screwing people over.

mtbr member
    I agree much with that statement. Also, if you find a deal it will be even less. There are many all over the place on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    for extra $100 you get Stan's,

I have your bike too, but when I bought it I pretty much accepted that executing warranty clauses will be a huge hassle
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I don't think anyone buys them separate from a bikes direct bike.

But wheels don't just bend themselves. Just because you don't remember what you hit doesn't make it a defect.

I think you're missing the point. I'm never asked for free wheels. But I do expect them to honor an advertised warranty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So, when you say wobbling, do you mean it's just out of true? If so, 1cm side-to-side isn't a big deal. Break out the spoke wrench, or pay a shop $20.

Either way, $120 for a new front wheel is pretty cheap (and they are certainly honoring their crash replacement warranty). Though as has been said, you can get a set of Stan's wheels (Arch or Crest, usually) for under $500 on sale. They're a great company to work with.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    So, when you say wobbling, do you mean it's just out of true? If so, 1cm side-to-side isn't a big deal. Break out the spoke wrench, or pay a shop $20.

Either way, $120 for a new front wheel is pretty cheap (and they are certainly honoring their crash replacement warranty). Though as has been said, you can get a set of Stan's wheels (Arch or Crest, usually) for under $500 on sale. They're a great company to work with.
    Seriously...try truing it. Heck it may not even be tensioned correctly to begin with and that could have been part of the issue. 10mm of run out is not a big deal to repair unless you really twisted that rim or you already are at max tension.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    But I do expect them to honor an advertised warranty.
    How did they not ? You've been using the wheel for 20 months. So clearly there was no defect. If it wasn't tensioned right it would have folded on you long ago, or be much further out of true than 10mm... LONG AGO.

They gave you a price, which isn't that bad, and you cry foul. If the rim cracked... different story.

You have a lot of balls expecting anything after almost 2 years for a wobble, that, by your own ridiculous explanation, may or may not have been caused in a crash.

mtbr member
    Another vote for truing the wheel first, then pursuing a warranty/replacement. 1cm is a lot, but it's possible that some spokes weren't stress relieved or tensioned properly. Although it's odd that it happened over a year after the purchase.
    "Got everything you need?"

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    How did they not ? You've been using the wheel for 20 months. So clearly there was no defect. If it wasn't tensioned right it would have folded on you long ago, or be much further out of true than 10mm... LONG AGO.

They gave you a price, which isn't that bad, and you cry foul. If the rim cracked... different story.

You have a lot of balls expecting anything after almost 2 years for a wobble, that, by your own ridiculous explanation, may or may not have been caused in a crash.
    Oh...missed the 20 month part.

Then you make a valid point(s).
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Try to true it, that isn't that bad. I really wouldn't get caught up too much in their pricing scheme, its just a show to make folks think their bike and parts are an amazing deal. Nobody would every pay the full-price for the wheel...their normal price is what you got ~$250 for a new set.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Here is the full warranty from their website.

VUELTA wheels are warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship. Warranty is for the original owner only and proof of purchase is required. Replacement or repair of defective products will be at the discretion of VueltaXRP. This warranty is in lieu of all other warranties. Depending on individual state laws, the above exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific rights. You may have other legal rights depending on the state in which you reside.

No Fault replacement: Original owners with proof of purchase are eligible for crash replacement of any Vuelta wheel at a 75% discount off MSRP.
    Shipping and any related transportation charges are not covered by warranty. Warranty claims can be handled directly with VueltaXRP or through any authorized Vuelta dealer.

Please especially take note of the "no fault replacement". So...
    1) There are no dates stated (i.e. doesn't say limited to 1 year) in their warranty
    2) I'm not asking for a wheel replacement, but the "no fault" replacement. So how the wheels warped is not relevant.
    3) Yes, took it to bike shop for truing. Basically, the wheel is warped - extreme uneven tension right now to pull the rim straight, but still rideable...for now. At least until my Sun Ringle's come in.

So yes, I find $150 an unreasonable replacement cost for the front wheel in two ways:
    1) The 75% discount no fault replacement clause makes the wheels extremely expensive - unreasonably so.
    2) Unreasonably so not because I find it high, but based on advertised MSRP for the full wheelset and doing the math, the front wheel comes out significantly more expensive than the rear wheel.

Finally, I've pretty much given up to pursue a reasonable replacement cost. Takes too much work. But do want others who are considering Vuelta wheels to know that the wheels may be relatively inexpensive, and putting value on something is a personal judgement call, but do take the warranty with a grain of salt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Try to true it, that isn't that bad. I really wouldn't get caught up too much in their pricing scheme, its just a show to make folks think their bike and parts are an amazing deal. Nobody would every pay the full-price for the wheel...their normal price is what you got ~$250 for a new set.
    Trued as much as possible by bike shop already. And I'm not caught up in their pricing scheme, but in the unreasonable price of $150 for the front wheel.

Unreasonable because:
    1. Not reflective of true value...but that's okay because MSRPs can be whatever the manufacturer suggests regardless of market value
    2. Based on their stated "no fault replacement at 75% discount off MSRP" - the price offered suggests that the front wheel is signficantly more than the rear and based on market evidence, this is not correct.

So back to my conclusion - their wheels may be a good value to you since value is a very personal judgement - just take the warranty with a grain of salt.

mtbr member
    Here is the full warranty from their website.

VUELTA wheels are warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship. Warranty is for the original owner only and proof of purchase is required. Replacement or repair of defective products will be at the discretion of VueltaXRP. This warranty is in lieu of all other warranties. Depending on individual state laws, the above exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific rights. You may have other legal rights depending on the state in which you reside.

No Fault replacement: Original owners with proof of purchase are eligible for crash replacement of any Vuelta wheel at a 75% discount off MSRP.
    Shipping and any related transportation charges are not covered by warranty. Warranty claims can be handled directly with VueltaXRP or through any authorized Vuelta dealer.

Please especially take note of the "no fault replacement". So...
    1) There are no dates stated (i.e. doesn't say limited to 1 year) in their warranty
    2) I'm not asking for a wheel replacement, but the "no fault" replacement. So how the wheels warped is not relevant.
    3) Yes, took it to bike shop for truing. Basically, the wheel is warped - extreme uneven tension right now to pull the rim straight, but still rideable...for now. At least until my Sun Ringle's come in.

So yes, I find $150 an unreasonable replacement cost for the front wheel in two ways:
    1) The 75% discount no fault replacement clause makes the wheels extremely expensive - unreasonably so.
    2) Unreasonably so not because I find it high, but based on advertised MSRP for the full wheelset and doing the math, the front wheel comes out significantly more expensive than the rear wheel.

Finally, I've pretty much given up to pursue a reasonable replacement cost. Takes too much work. But do want others who are considering Vuelta wheels to know that the wheels may be relatively inexpensive, and putting value on something is a personal judgement call, but do take the warranty with a grain of salt.
    If something seems to good to be true...it usually is.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The OP has already replied, but just to reiterate, he was clearly prepared to purchase the wheel. Neither he, nor I, are advocating that he receive a new wheel free of charge.

My comment was focused on misleading MSRP prices. Whatever. I suspect that you crafting a snide retort and picking out your smiley before you even finished reading it. Too bad. Had that time been spent reflecting on what was said, I think you would gotten the point.

And in case I'm giving you too much credit, the point is that the replacement "deal" of the wheels roughly equates to the actual market value of the wheels, making it nothing more than a marketing ploy.

mtbr member
    posting a picture of the bent rim would help.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinGB View Post
    posting a picture of the bent rim would help.
    I can't. It's trued to be 95% better already (despite highly uneven tensions to force straight the rim), and I actually rode on it as I'm waiting for my new wheelset from Performance. They had the Black Flag Comp on for $299 + 20% off that last week, but out of stock till Jan. 8. Thank goodness I'm flying off for vacation so the wait won't be noticed too much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Misleading MSRP's are something Amazon and others like them do all the time.

When purchasing a Garmin GPS a few years ago I noticed the over inflated MSRP from what Garmins website stated. Amazon makes you think you are getting a higher percentage off than you really are.

Another culprit of this, is a Company called Motorcycle Superstore. They put sales on all the time for tires, before the sales are in place they raise all the prices and tell you they are saving you 20%. I called them on this, they said they sell more tires by making people believe they are getting 20% off than just keeping their regular price and offering a 10% discount.

Good luck with the wheel, but i am sure a good shop would be able to get it back true.

Todd

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think you're missing the point. I'm never asked for free wheels. But I do expect them to honor an advertised warranty.
    Why do you expect a warranty? Seriously, it's an out of true wheel, not trashed bearing or any other such thing that would indicate a defective item. The crash replacement would come into play if you tacoed the rim or pulled some spokes out on the trail etc...

You are one of 'those' customers. Anyone that's work retail know what I'm talking about. Expecting a crash replacement on a out of true wheel is ridiculous.

1cm = .39 inches, true the wheel and be done.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bike Island = Bikes Direct, FYI. So they were just giving you the run around there.

That said, they offered you a decent price on a replacement for an out of true... nearly two year old wheel. Those wheels are pretty much pieces of crap anyhow. Perfect time to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Bike Island = Bikes Direct, FYI. So they were just giving you the run around there.

That said, they offered you a decent price on a replacement for an out of true... nearly two year old wheel. Those wheels are pretty much pieces of crap anyhow. Perfect time to upgrade.
    They're actually owned by different people, so technically it's a different company. I believe they are family, IIRC.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post

Per bike shop, wheels aren't "out of true" but warped, hence the curiosity of what would be offered.

Decent price - I disagree on this based on their stated warranty. I was never after a free replacement wheel but was hoping for a fair emplacement cost. See above for rationale.

Upgrade - already ordered even before I contacted them. But still wanted a set of OEM wheels in case I sell the bike later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Per bike shop, wheels aren't "out of true" but warped, hence the curiosity of what would be offered.

Decent price - I disagree on this based on their stated warranty. I was never after a free replacement wheel but was hoping for a fair emplacement cost. See above for rationale.

Upgrade - already ordered even before I contacted them. But still wanted a set of OEM wheels in case I sell the bike later.
    I'd love to hear the difference.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There isn't one, the lbs was just tired of dealing with the pos wheel and this particular customer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast