mtbr member

VooDoo Scandium 29'er for 2005

Just thought I would let you all know that we are bringing a hardtail scandium 29'er called Aizan: IProtector From Evil to the market for 2005. It will have adjustable dropouts like the Dambala so single or fixed is no problem. We are still waiting on the prototype, but it is designed to accept the WTB 2.3 tire.

Sizes will be: 17 - TT 22.5" (572mm); 18 - TT 23" (584mm); 19 - TT 23.5" (597MM); 21 - TT 24.5" (622MM).

Might have it at Interbike, might not. I will be at Titec hanging out if anyone wants to find out more.

John Benson
    VooDoo Cycles
    Attached Images Attached Images

giddy up!
    Good on you guys for taking the bull by the horns. Good idea going with adjustable drops.

Can't wait to see it.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

get down!
    finally a decent top tube length(ideally I'd like .25 inch more but hey) when will these be available and what color?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mmmm beer
    thanks. sounds great!

newbie boobie.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoojb
    Just thought I would let you all know that we are bringing a hardtail scandium 29'er called Aizan: IProtector From Evil to the market for 2005. It will have adjustable dropouts like the Dambala so single or fixed is no problem. We are still waiting on the prototype, but it is designed to accept the WTB 2.3 tire.

Sizes will be: 17 - TT 22.5" (572mm); 18 - TT 23" (584mm); 19 - TT 23.5" (597MM); 21 - TT 24.5" (622MM).

Might have it at Interbike, might not. I will be at Titec hanging out if anyone wants to find out more.

John Benson
    VooDoo Cycles
    YAY! I want the Limba too! Any chance on the reincarnation of the Nzumbi?

Can't wait for interbike...
    It ain't easy being human.

My gloves stink

Saddam tries to buy Scandium Twinkies from Nigeria

Inquiring Appendages want to know what Scandium is. This is copied from the Salsa website:

Followers of modern cycling have seen the emergence of Scandium frame bicycles. But what is Scandium?

Scandium is number 21 on the periodic table of elements. It was discovered over a 120 years ago but gained importance during the Cold War, when Soviet scientists and engineers began experimenting with it as an aluminum alloying element. They discovered that it allowed them to weld aluminums they previously could not.

In the bicycle world, Scandium refers to frame tubing made from an aluminum alloy that includes the element Scandium. In most cases, the tubing base is a high-strength, 7000-series aluminum alloy. Scandium allows a stronger, non-weldable base aluminum alloy to be welded. Previously, these and similar base alloys could only be made into a frame by bonding them together using high-strength adhesives and cast or machined lugs-almost like high-tech tinker toys.

Scandium opens up new opportunities for frame engineers. In the past, aluminum tubing required larger diameter tubes to achieve the strength necessary to support riding. The larger diameter tubes resulted in stiff ride characteristics, which are fine for time trials but less than ideal for century rides. With Scandium tubing, frame engineers are able to use smaller diameter tubes, thinner cross sections, and shaped tubes to tune the ride characteristics of each frame while using less material. This results in comfortable, efficient and light frames.

Scandium frame tubing also has increased fatigue life and improved failure modes when compared to traditional aluminum frame tubing. For many of the same metallurgical reasons that Scandium allows non-weldable alloys to be welded, Scandium adds to the fatigue life and durability of frames.

This technology and these benefits do not come free and easy. Raw Scandium is not as abundant as many other alloying elements and is difficult to extract from raw ore. Production of Scandium alloys is relatively new and is being done on a much smaller scale than other aluminum alloys. Welding Scandium requires the use of new technologies and different materials than other aluminums. Proper heat treatment is critical to frame strength and integrity, which prohibits many aluminum frame manufacturers from being able to work with Scandium. Most importantly, knowledge of the frame building material and proper design are still vitally necessary.
    Last edited by Appendage; 09-08-2004 at 09:25 PM. Reason: More Info

Recovering couch patato
    VooDoo rules!!!!
    I think the toptube is long enough, the model just needs a 22" or 23" :-)
    Actually, the 622mm for a 21" is already 6mm more than both my 21" Bokors are. If it has the Damabala angles, it's going to be one nimble racing machine! Shorter than a KM, chaintaylength being the same!

Make sure you make it in the Salmon-like color the Sobo was on eurobike today, that color alone will be enough for people to want this bike!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski