Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    BWG
    mtbr member

Voodoo Canzo 29er: So what do you get for $750

OK - since I built my RIP9 my EMD9 was just sitting, so I decided to sell the frame and build a full suspension 29er for my son with the components. I was searching for a used frame until I ran across the Voodoo Canzo. For $765.00 delivered here's what I got :

Yes, there's more than enough room for Nevegal 2.2's and the Reba fork clears the frame with room to spare, I don't use the Poploc but it should be fine. I probably would not have ordered the green frame but that's the only option - but I REALLY like the color.

I'll give a ride report in a week or so. Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by BWG; 09-30-2007 at 06:54 AM.

Hairshirt Rider
    Finally some decent photos of a Canzo. Eager to hear what you think of it.

mtbr member

That looks awesome

What size frame is it?

I would really like to hear how it rides as well. That is about as good a deal on a FS 29 I have ever seen.

Have fun with that!!!!
    Don't get stuck on stupid!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

where did you get it at?

That sounds like a killer price

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    great looking build. looking forward to the ride report.

may i ask where you got it?

BWG
    mtbr member
    It's a medium frame (18"), I would have ordered a 20" for myself to get a longer top tube - but the 23 1/4" effective toptube is the same as my son's 19" Jamis XLT 26er it replaces. The bottom bracket heighth is 13.5" with the Nevegals and the headtube is 110mm - the large is 130mm and I only had enough steerer tube on my Reba for about 100mm (I don't like spacers under my stem). It has 4" travel front and rear. All the parts from the Niner fit this frame.

I got the frame from Bitterbrush Cycles - they run a 10% off add in the mtbr classifieds with free shipping (and no tax outside Colorado). I got my RIP9 frame, Canzo frame and WB F135 fork from them. They've been great - email Glenn and tell him Bob from Kentucky sent you.
    Last edited by BWG; 10-01-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by BWG
    I got the frame from Bitterbrush Cycles - they run a 10% off add in the mtbr classifieds with free shipping (and no tax outside Colorado). I got my RIP9 frame, Canzo frame and WB F135 fork from them. They've been great - email Glenn and tell him Bob from Kentucky sent you.
    Do they still carry Voodoo? I didn't see any listed on their site ...

BWG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reklar
    Do they still carry Voodoo? I didn't see any listed on their site ...
    Yes, email them from their website (or call them) and tell them what you want and that you want to use the 10% off and free shipping coupon from mtbr. They'll email you back fairly quickly. My frame arrived in less than two weeks. They've been very easy to deal with.
    Last edited by BWG; 10-02-2007 at 05:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That is a nice looking bike and, indeed some great pictures. Perhaps a little off-topic but, what camera did you use for these pictures BWG?

MTB B'dos
    Nice looking bike and , very nice thing you did for your Son Definitely let us know how it rides and what he thinks of it. That's a great price for any kind of FS frame 29er or 26er, definitely one I'll keep in mind when people are asking about getting into FS - with a Deore/LX build kit you could easily build it under 2k.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

BWG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnhood
    That is a nice looking bike and, indeed some great pictures. Perhaps a little off-topic but, what camera did you use for these pictures BWG?
    Thanks, that's a little Canon Powershot SD 800 IS - you can carry it in your shirt pocket. The pictures were taken on Auto mode - it's pretty foolproof - which is what I need.

BWG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Nice looking bike and , very nice thing you did for your Son Definitely let us know how it rides and what he thinks of it. That's a great price for any kind of FS frame 29er or 26er, definitely one I'll keep in mind when people are asking about getting into FS - with a Deore/LX build kit you could easily build it under 2k.
    Thanks, the Canzo is definately the budget FS 29er - and honestly in person the frame looks just about as good as many other foreign-built frames - some costing twice as much. I really like the Rockshox MC 3.3 shock too - it's real short with an wide-bodied air chamber that doesn't take up much room. It has an adjustable air spring, floodgate platform, and rebound with a 3-position lever for wide-open/floodgate/full lockout.

My son's 15 and he's a really good kid. He's very busy with highschool football and wrestling and school of course, so he doesn't get to ride alot. But he and his buddies like to x-train on mountainbikes and blow off some steam when they can. With my hardtail 29er just sitting there I wanted to build a FS bike to get him in on the big wheels too. Our last 26er is for sale now.
    Last edited by BWG; 10-03-2007 at 07:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Our last 26er is for sale now.
    I love hearing that! Goes to show that 29ers are the real deal and not just some fad. I sold my last 26er in the spring.

Thanks for the pictures!
    [SIZE="2"]mtb29er.com Trying to be the best 29er site![/SIZE]

mtbr member

Canzo is a great in to FS

I picked up a Canzo at the beginning of the month and have been rding it about 5 days a week to get in dialed in. This past weekend I completed a 50 mile mtn bike race on it. The bike handled great. I have a Niner sir9 (hardtail) and was looking for full suspension bike to use on the longer rides and was looking for 4" of travel and less. this frame fits the bill. It took a few rides to finally get the rear shock dialed in, but once it was it rode great. I usually run the rear shock in the propedal position and have had no issues with getting out of the sadlle to climb up short steep sections. Currently I have a reba on the front, but might change to a white brothers fluid 110.

If you are looking at options on where to buy checkout Bike29.com. George can help you out. He is a 29er specific dealer.

BWG
    mtbr member

FIRST RIDE REPORT - Canzo 29er

I took the bike out and rode a 14 mile loop I usually ride on my RIP9 to get a feel for the Canzo. So far I'm very impressed with it. It's exactly what I expected, that is it rides somewhere between a 3" XC FS bike and a 5" AM FS bike - which is good. It's much more comfy than my previous 29" hardtail, but more firm and not as plush as my RIP ( obviously).

Ride reports are very subjective, and I've only ridden it once.

- Very predictable handling with 100mm fork, quicker steering than RIP with 135mm fork.
    - Very quiet,solid ride. No noise from rear end - assymetrical chainstays with lowered driveside stay prevents chainslap.
    - No flex noted from rear tiangle so far.
    - The rear Rockshox shock matches the Reba fork very well - they both have adjustable air springs/rebound/floodgate and lockout. If you like your Reba you'll like this shock.
    - I never fealt like the rear was even close to bottoming.
    - Jumps very well and straight with quick lift-off of jump face.
    - Climbed well and I cleared all climbs and obstacles I usually do. Seems slower on climbs though (not sure why) and not quite as compliant climbing over roots as RIP.
    - Seemed slower on downhills than RIP (not sure why) but much better than 26er.

In all fairness I'm comparing it to an EXCELLENT bike. If you didn't know how much the Canzo cost you probably wouldn't guess it's a budget bike. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BWG; 10-02-2007 at 06:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I took the bike out and rode a 14 mile loop I usually ride on my RIP9 to get a feel for the Canzo. So far I'm very impressed with it. It's exactly what I expected, that is it rides somewhere between a 3" XC FS bike and a 5" AM FS bike - which is good. It's much more comfy than my previous 29" hardtail, but more firm and not as plush as my RIP ( obviously).

Ride reports are very subjective, and I've only ridden it once.

- Very predictable handling with 100mm fork (quicker than RIP with 135mm fork).
    - Very quiet,solid ride. No noise from rear end - assymetrical chainstays with lowered driveside stay prevents chainslap.
    - No flex noted from rear tiangle so far.
    - The rear Rockshox shock matches the Reba fork very well - they both have adjustable air springs/rebound/floodgate and lockout. If you like your Reba you'll like this shock.
    - I never fealt like the rear was even close to bottoming.
    - Jumps very well and straight with quick lift-off of jump face.
    - Climbed well and I cleared all climbs and obstacles I usually do. Seems slower on climbs though (not sure why) and not quite as compliant climbing over roots as RIP.
    - Seemed slower on downhills than RIP (not sure why) but much better than 26er.

In all fairness I'm comparing it to an EXCELLENT bike. If you didn't know how much the Canzo cost you probably wouldn't guess it's a budget bike. Hope this helps.
    I have a Canzo and like it a lot.
    In comparing to your RIP with a 135 WB fork vs. a Reba at 100, I would think the RIP would be more capable on the descents just based on the fork difference.

I think you mentioned earlier that you run ithe Canzo in the propedal mode. If you want more compliance then you need to switch to full plush mode. Also it you are not getting full travel you might want to let some air out. I weigh around 140 and run less than 50 pounds in the rear shock.

I agree that the frame and rear end are plenty stiff side to side.

BWG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    I have a Canzo and like it a lot.
    In comparing to your RIP with a 135 WB fork vs. a Reba at 100, I would think the RIP would be more capable on the descents just based on the fork difference.

I think you mentioned earlier that you run ithe Canzo in the propedal mode. If you want more compliance then you need to switch to full plush mode. Also it you are not getting full travel you might want to let some air out. I weigh around 140 and run less than 50 pounds in the rear shock.

I agree that the frame and rear end are plenty stiff side to side.
    I really like it too. I ran the shock wide open. When I say it never fealt like it came close to bottoming that's a good thing - and that's using full travel.

MTB B'dos
    Nice report BWG, I like those MC3 shocks myself and was looking at one for my Trance before I moved on up to big wheels. With the handling remember that you're also on a smaller bike than your RIP so it should feel a bit more "flickable" due it size, not to mention the shorter fork. Seems to me like this is a very decent budget frame and well worth the measly $750 you paid for it - I really think your son will enjoy it and maybe even start biking more as it should be more "Fun".
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Expert Crasher
    Here is a write up I did in the K2 forum reference the RS MC 3.3. Take it for what it's worth. It's a great shock with lots of adjustability.

The MC3 setup
    Ok - lots of adjustment on this thing. First check - dropped about 5psi out back - I don't mention PSI numbers b/c we all weigh different and sag is what you should be using to drive your PSI. I'm a bit over 25% on the rear shock as well know. Second adjustment, rebound. There are 38 clicks on the rebound knob and Rock Shox has made it pretty simple with the rabbit/turtle diagram. I set rebound (red dial) right in the middle - 19 click from the turtle. I had previously had it much higher but noticed significant kickback (my camelbak hitting my helmet) on the rooty terrain here in Alabama. Third adjustment is the floodgate (gold knob). There are 18 clicks for the floodgate - the + symbol being max floodgate control, the - symbol being minimum floodgate control. I set my floodgate at four clicks from minimum (-). Because I have the MC3.3 - I also had to flip the lever to the middle position.

The Result
    Outstanding feel and control today. No kickback, soaked up roots and small drops like they were non-existent and cornered like a cat with claws climbing the curtains. I was able to attack some sections that previously, I could not due to my previous setup. Comfort was superb on the fast speed hits, as I suspected, I gave up a little low speed compression by applying the 'platform' capability but the improvements in handling and high speed dampening performance far outweigh the loss.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    i just ordered one .what size derailur & seat clamp does it need?also i hope you dont
    mind i put your pics on my background
    Riding single speed is my Crossfit!

BWG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    i just ordered one .what size derailur & seat clamp does it need?also i hope you dont
    mind i put your pics on my background
    It takes a 34.9 front derailer, a 34.9 or 35 (depending on brand) seatpost collar, and a 31.6 seatpost - I use a 400mm length.

I'm honored to have my pic as your background.

I know you'll like it! Where'd you order it from?

mtbr member
    BTI through my local shop.Did the frame come with that seat clamp in the first pic?im very
    excited should have ot next week.How easy is the front to lift & what size stem is that.
    thanks so much for all the info.
    Riding single speed is my Crossfit!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    BTI through my local shop.Did the frame come with that seat clamp in the first pic?im very
    excited should have ot next week.How easy is the front to lift & what size stem is that.
    thanks so much for all the info.

Frame comes with a seat clamp but not a quick release one.

Front end does not lift easy compared to my 26er FS bike. I actually prefer it that way. I think it helps the bike track better in the corners.

this account retired
    wow! what a killer bang for the buck! The only frame that may give it a run for its money will be the new KHS with the whorest link

BWG
    mtbr member
    I just switched the 90mm stem in the pics to a 100 and the flat bar to a riser - I've gotten used to a riser on my RIP and that's what my son is used to. I fealt too much weight on my hands with the flat bar - the riser should take care of that and make the front easier to loft too.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast