Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya.. what he said...
    (PS they come in a wicked red color..not that that makes them work..?)
    have you tried these? or just providing the link I was too lazy too?
    Nope havent used them but they are on my list of upgrades (next to the Hayes Stroker Trails). But I do agree that have heard a lot of good things about them and looking at their website they all use (no matter which line for the Hygia) Shimano XT/XTR pads.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Here is a before and after from this morning. Thought I'd put my Easton Havens (which normally reside on my Ti hardtail) with Ardent 2.4 inch rubber. With the TALAS at 120mm and the big bag tyres, it's a damn fun bike!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    man, that rear tire doesn't rub? I had nevegal 2.4's rub bad...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Geritol Power
    man, that rear tire doesn't rub? I had nevegal 2.4's rub bad...
    I test fit a 2.4 Ardent on a Flow rim on my black framed Canzo and it fit fine (I think my green one is the same rear components even though Joe Murray told me they were not the same). I am running 2.4F and 2.25R Ardent's now but will use 2.4 F&R next time because I like the 2.4 carcass better than the 2.25. I do seem to recall centering my rear rims a couple MM to one side or the other (dish) to match the Canzo frames. I always do that on my bikes anyway for optimum mud clearance.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Magilla_Guerrilla View Post
    Here is a before and after from this morning. Thought I'd put my Easton Havens (which normally reside on my Ti hardtail) with Ardent 2.4 inch rubber. With the TALAS at 120mm and the big bag tyres, it's a damn fun bike!

Nice!

My one complaint with the Canzo is the frame is noisy, It pops and snaps at the seatpost clamp area during riding, No broken welds or cracked areas, just noisy popping, do you have this issue also?

mtbr member
    No, sorry. No noise dramas at all.

And as for clearance, no rubbing issues, but not a lot of clearance. Maybe 5mm in places.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Nice!

My one complaint with the Canzo is the frame is noisy, It pops and snaps at the seatpost clamp area during riding, No broken welds or cracked areas, just noisy popping, do you have this issue also?
    no.. guessing if it's at the seat clamp for sure that you probably have a seatpost that isn't the right size? there are some tolerances in size and some companies float a little big and others float a little small.. I'd give a new seatpost a try.

another thing I have found with the canzo's is sometimes the bearings in the rocker arm twist or pinch.. reason some people have the screw come loose. check all the nuts/bolts and make sure everything's tight.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Short-Change-Hero
    Magilla that is damn sexy looking in the all black!!!

My next bike is going to be a FS and was thinking of doing a budget build with one of these or a Big Mama (if I can find one). But that will probably not happen until this time next year and will probably slowly pick things up from now until then..

I am 6' with ~31" inseam and looking at the sizes I would probably be best on a 20" with the ETT but anyone my size running the 18" frame?
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I ride a medium with a 23.5" TT (I think) and about an 80 or 90mm stem and it fits just right. No worries on my knees, and proper extension on climbs and decents with a shorter stem. I don't know if I'd go too much larger if I were you, but without knowing how you like your bikes to fit, that's a tough one.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah it is a toss up.. I have a 72cm reach and currently run the 19.5" On-One Inbred 29er (24" ETT) with a 70mm stem and flat bars. So probably I could fit the 18" with a 90mm or larger stem.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Okay. I just scored a 2010 Canzo frame with an XX Reba fork. Now to figure out the drivetrain. Having a hard time finding a good deal on XT or SLX kits. Any thoughts?

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by thechez View Post
    Okay. I just scored a 2010 Canzo frame with an XX Reba fork. Now to figure out the drivetrain. Having a hard time finding a good deal on XT or SLX kits. Any thoughts?
    Bluesky, Pricepoint, Jenson, Hammerhead Chainreaction just to name a few good online sources.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall View Post
    Bluesky, Pricepoint, Jenson, Hammerhead Chainreaction just to name a few good online sources.
    Yeah. I've perused the usual suspects. Think I might just transfer the parts of my Zaskar and see if I can get $500 or so for the bike minus drivetrain. I like the SLX setup. Was just considering 2x10 but not if it's going to cost me $600+.

Happy with what I have though. I scored a Canzo, Reba XX with X9/Flow wheelset and all cockpit bits. I just need brakes and drivetrain to get it goin.
    Last edited by thechez; 01-06-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Go with Sram? usually easier to work on, better performance, lower price... but in all reality it's a personal decision..

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah. I used SRAM x9 when I built up my AS-R. Just wasn't into it. I swiched to the 970 XTR and LOVE it. Only I'm not going that far with this bike. SLX or XT would work just fine. I will miss the several shifts at once though.

Trail Tire TV on blogger

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That's what I have on my Zaskar Expert. Well, minus the SLX brakes. Think I might try fishing around CL with the Zaskar minus the drivetrain and see if anyone takes it for $500-600. If not, I'll start buying bit by bit. I'll have to maintain vigilance not to buy another set of the XTR shifters. Everything else I could deal with lower levels but those shifters are buttery.
    Thanks for the help Thomllama!

Short-Change-Hero
    See now I was the exact opposite. Original bike I started on was a 2008 RM Element 50 with full XT/XTR load out and fox everything. Just didnt like the shifting, felt clunky and inaccurate (even after some tuning). When I returned that to my brother (was his backup bike for his Racer-X C) and finished my Inbred with all X9 shifting I was surprised at how much I love it. Feedback on the shift is incredible even for a 2009 used X9 rear derailleur. If you dont mind the used parts check out ebay and piece together yourself. Def post pics up once you get it done as I want to see what the black frame/white fork looks like..

For my Full Suspension build here is what I am thinking of....
    Frame - Voodoo Canzo, Salsa Big Mama, Titus Rockstar 29
    Wheelset - Gold Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro
    Fork - Manitou Tower Pro 120mm thru-axle
    D/T - full SRAM X9 build-out 9spd
    Brakes - Hayes Stroker Trail or Stroker Ace
    Cockpit - Carbon bits where I can and Charge Spoon saddle
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I will admit that high end Shimano is finicky(you should see how picky I am with brake tolerances) but I like the lighter feel. I didn't like how harsh and how much you had to push to get gears to shift on the X9. I had gripshift back in the day and actually liked that. I'd consider it as this is my spare bike. It's really a bike I'm getting for guests. I can't say I've liked the 29er I have already. I just don't like the way it climbs. Hoping this one will be better. But I love how they descend but I am a climber at heart. That's why I really love my AS-R SL. It climbs anything until my legs give out.

Sounds like a sweet build Greg. I recommend the Stroker Ace more. They're cheap now that they're a year old. I wish I could get the Black Flags but the X9/Flow should work just fine. But if one were to bend........

Short-Change-Hero
    See I have a set of Flows/M629 on my Inbred and love them but figuring that this will be a bit more XC/AM oriented and if I keep the builds similar (9sp) then I will not really have to worry if I decide to swap for a larger rim (Flow=28mm, SR BFP=24mm) plus the Suns have the convertible hubs which is nice should I ever ditch the frame for something different that needs the thru-axle rear.

This is kinda the look I am going for (yes I know it is a girl riding it and a FELT hardtail).

Last edited by gregnash; 01-06-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You might want to look at the Charger Pros. If you're patient you could score a wicked deal at some point during the year from ChainReactionCycles

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This is how the guy I bought it from had it built up. He was a SRAM rep though. I won't be having XX unless I meet my sugar mama. THEN I might go for some SRAM stuff.

Short-Change-Hero
    yeah see that settles it.. Thinking I like a black fork better than the white.. LOVE my Manitou Tower Pro 100mm but no black unless I downgrade to the Expert??!?!? That or look into *gasp* a different brand!!!
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    yeah see that settles it.. Thinking I like a black fork better than the white.. LOVE my Manitou Tower Pro 100mm but no black unless I downgrade to the Expert??!?!? That or look into *gasp* a different brand!!!

Yeah, that's the look I'm going for as well. Wait, you were talking about the bike.

I agree. I like that Fox better. Mainly because it blends but also because it's a 15mm. I want to try one so badly but I keep ending up with 9mms. Oh well. Luckily I know how to steer well enough. I can't miss what I ain't got.

If you can find a black Fox on a deal though, I say go with it. I think they're overpriced(I have an older TALAS) but they do black.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah wondering how much I would miss the MARS Air v. the ACT Air in the Tower... Seriously love my Tower and the more I tune it the better it gets. DAMN YOU MANITOU!!! Oh and considering I got it for under $400 makes it much nicer compared to the Fox.. Maybe one of the new RS Revelations or SID... never really liked the look of the Marzocchi TST, just were weird and bulbous to me..
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast