mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Very Routine Maintenence

I fully appreciate that MTBs take a beating in comparison to road bikes. I ride every second day or so, and give a good cleanup, chain lube, at regular intervals.

Are there any special needs I should pat attention to more frequently? I do note that the disk brake pads are quite dirty and I clean them more often. Other suggestions, such as lubing the chain before each ride?

2014 Specialized. Crave comp. 26 pounds of delight, 29ers

mtbr member
    No need to lube the chain before every ride. Wipe it off after riding. Lube every 3-4 rides or 100 miles or so or as needed. Especially if you ride in mud or the chain gets wet, you may want to lube afterwards.

Drop some oil on the pivot points on the derailleurs to keep them moving smoothly.

Keep the fork clean, especially the stanchions.

Some graphite or dry lube in the shifters/cables to keep things moving freely. Wet lubes can collect dirt and gum things up and since those areas are extremely difficult if not impossible to clean, you need to use a dry lube.

As you clean, look for damage to the frame/components.

Check bolts for tightness every few rides.

Check tires for damage and foreign objects like glass and thorns.

Check your wheels for true and adjust as needed.
    Last edited by Nubster; 06-07-2014 at 05:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sorry, what is a/the stantians?

mtbr member
    I clean the fork stanchions, the exposed sliding surfaces of the fork. Finish Line even makes a cleaner/lubricant for the fork. I also apply a small amount of chain lube before each ride and clean my chain every 100 miles or so. I've always had my drivetrain last a very long time with minimal maintanence.

Be sure to check your chain wear, a chain gauge is a nice thing to have. I check mine once a month or so.

If you run tubeless tires, it's a good idea to add sealant every 3-6 months or so.

Basically, just listen to your bike, if you hear a creak or squeak, it's time to pull things apart and service them.

Fox recommends servicing the fork fluid annually or every 200 hrs of riding. Rockshox recommends servicing the fork fluid every 50 hrs. Which is interesting as I always thought the Rockshox service intervals were longer.

I also service my Eggbeater pedals every year or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    To clean the fork stancions flipe the bike over and take a paper towel and wipe all of the dirt off the stanscions away from the seals, then floss in between the arch and stancions withe paper towel to get all the crud. It can help prolong the life of the stancions.

Trail Ninja
    Clean nasty stuff off moving parts. Keep chain well lubed. Give the bike a little shake here and there to help make sure everything's snug, and not rattling/thunking; only thing that should be making noise is the chain really.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Do not get oil close to brake pads!! I once has a little over spray on my calipers and dident notice, well next right I noticed it...lol

Everything else said here is good advice.

BTW what do you guys use for all the pivots on a full suspension bike? I normally just spray dry lube on them every once and awhile, should they be taken apart and greased?